1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Problems with getting a new CD/DVD burner working

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Bahir the Red, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Hello. I just installed this DVD burner on my computer, but it does not seem to work yet. I was wondering if there are any specific or unspecific drivers I need to install before I can use it. As I understand it, windows XP comes with a program called "Roxio", which contains drivers for CD burners and perhaps DVD ones. The problem is that my computer only had a CD burner from the start, no DVD one. Hence, in the folder called Roxio, there is only a folder called "Easy CD creator 5".

So, does anyone have any knowledge about this? Thanks in advance.

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Windows XP has some built-in burning features, but I am not sure if you can burn DVD's with it. You did not get any bundled burning software with the drive? If not, you probably need to get one.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Sounds to me like Samsung left the DVD burning software out of the bundle...

If I were you, I'd go get Nero 7 Ultra Edition. I don't have the "Enhanced" version of it, but from what I hear, the Enhanced version isn't very good. You might want to try and find an older version. I've got version 7.2 and I love it. :thumb: :rolling:

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

The burner didn't come with any software, but according to the guy in the store, none would be needed. I have Nero, but the problem isn't that I don't have a burning program, it's that Nero, for example, doesn't recognize the burner, and neither does the computer. In "My Computer", it says that the drive is a "DVD-unit", when it should be something like a "CD/DVD-RW-unit".

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...just because Windows Explorer isn't giving it the right name, doesn't mean it doesn't work. Unless you've already tried, I'd like you to do a little test. Try to bun a CD and a DVD. Doesn't matter what you put on them, just something so you'll know if it is working, and to find out which media it will/won't write to.

If it is in fact malfunctioning, you might want to try and update the drive's firmware. Hop on over to the Samsung Download Page for your drive. There are 3 different version of firmware listed for your drive, but I'm guessing that "SH-S182M Global distribution (ver.SB02)" is the newest version.

Try that, and see if it works. If not, you might have to call Samsung tech support.
    Keep us posted . :rolling:

6. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If I understand correctly, you can't see your DVD burner in the explorer. This means that Windows doesn't recognize it.
    Try what this site says:
    http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=21779

Basically, what fixes this problem is: open the Registry editor and find this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Then, if you have the upperfilters and lowerfilters, delete them. Note that you may have to have permission to do that should you can't delete them (right click and select Permissions and edit them so you can delete the key).
    This only proccess should help your problem. It did to me.

7. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Well, I can see the unit, but only as a DVD-unit. I've tried it and it works as a CD/DVD reader. However, it does not show up in "My Computer" as a "CD/DVD-RW-unit", and neither does Nero recognize it as such.

Kitrax, I tried installing new firmware (by first installing a live updater so that I knew I would get the right one), but it doesn't seem to have helped much.

I'll send an email to Samsung today describing what I've done and all that, and see if they can help.

I really appreciate all the help, and I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: Scratch that.

My (somewhat small but still existant) suspicions were confirmed today. The "burner" turned out to be just a reader, the guys in the store had given us the wrong one. Meh, waddayogonnado?

Still, many thanks again for all the help (especially Kitrax).

[ January 25, 2007, 17:48: Message edited by: Bahir the Red ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.