1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Popular Iraqi support for the US invasion.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Khazraj, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Today I casually asked a student of mine who is a Turkomani from the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk if there was any news from "back home". He said not really. I asked what he meant and he replied that his uncle is about to go and join the war.

I cautiously asked, "you mean to fight against the government (Saddam)?" He screwed up his face and almost spat out the answer. "Of course not, against America."

I think that the US military is going to win the war, but in the long term they won't ever win the hearts of Iraqs many different ethnic and religious groups.

Since Blair has admitted the low way that the allied coalition betrayed the uprising in the first Gulf War it will be hard to convince them that it won't happen again.

Interviewing an Iraqi from Basra local current affairs asked him if his family in Basra trust the US this time. He denied it and when asked it he himself does, again he denied it. Iraqis simply don't trust the US.

The leader of Basra's Shia minority who is exiled in Tehran has urged the local Shia people of Basra to resist the US invasion of their land.

Good luck, US military, you are going to need a lot of it.

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

This is exactly why the war isn't going as planned. They expected the Iraqis to jump for joy when they got into Baghdad, not so. This is the Iraqis way of life, so what makes the US think they a) want it changed, b) the Iraqis are going to HELP them do it.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The shiites in south iraq not too long ago seriously burned their fingers trusting the US. They will be very careful to trust them again. And generally most people have emotional problems with accepting people bombing them as liberators and friends.
    When the kurds in north iraq see that the US is just willing to integrate them into iraq they may stop supporting them as the only thing they ever wanted was the independence.

The interests of the US and their local allies do not always meet. When the locals see their interests neglected they might very quickly react and choose a path of their own.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Everything said here is absolutely true. yet I have one piece of history that I want to mention. In the 1940s, America went to war with a powerful enemy. Their mindset was alien to ours, their hatred of all things American unrelenting. They were the Japanese. The US dropped the biggest bomb ever used in warfare on them (actually, 2 of the biggest bombs).

They ended up as allies. I'm not saying that will happen here, as the Islamics may never accept America, but I float this as a possibility -- nothing more.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Just consider the amount of damage and suffering needed to make the japanese - as well as the germans - allies and friends to sober up.

The japanese and german defeats were complete, the death toll on civilians massive. No one can seriously want that. Bombing peoples into friendship is a questionable concept IMO.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Ragusa, my point is that even the worst of enemies can end up as allies after a war. Even the ones with mindsets that seem to be from different dimensions. I certainly was not suggesting we kill a bunch of civilians! I don't think that the # of civilian casualties made Germany and Japan more willing to be allies, anyway.

I don't think it's determined that the US and the Arab world will be enemies -- or friends.
    I'm just pointing out possibilities and citing history to show that in at least one case, friendship after war happened.

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Japan and Germany are not allies because they want to be, they're allies because they're smart. With the US as a world power, Japan would be stupid not to support the US machines. Think of all the countries that don't support the US, and I'll bet there's not a sensible leader among them.

France and Germany are being 'boycotted' by the american public because they do not agree to GW2003. I think that's rediculous. Just because they don't support it, they're economy has to suffer. Talk about brainwashing.

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The Japanese and German are not the Iraqi.

Japanese and German is a nation with one nationality/race. After World War 2, their economy suffers, their constructions suffer, their everything suffer. Instead of fighting for power among themselves, they can unite together and rebuild their country. They, afterall, have pride on their country. During their 'reconstruction' they received the aid of America, in terms of money, technology and military. Especially Japan who is so weak and under the threat of Communist China, North Korea and Soviet. They are grateful and cunning, thus willing to be an ally of America for the time being.

Now, look at Iraq. Iraq is not a united whole country prior to Saddam Hussien and "I-I" war (iraq-iran war). Just like any other Arabic countries, Iraq is tribal, tribes hated each other and constantly compete for power of dominating each other. When Saddam came, with the military aid of U.S. and U.K., he successfully gain control of all Iraq, forcefully united the whole country and emerged victorious in the Iraq and Iran war.

The question here is, how can America, the outsider, totally unroot Saddam's power and unite all the Muslim tribes under America's flag?

[ March 28, 2003, 04:59: Message edited by: teekc ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.