1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which thief kit you think is better? Assassin or Bounty Hunter?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Hyperion, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Well, like the poll title says... Which one do you think is better. Also, I apreciate if you could tell me your reasons. I have my own opinion, but I want to see yours.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 31 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Which thief kit you think is better? Assassin or Bounty Hunter? (31 votes.)

Which thief kit you think is better? Assassin or Bounty Hunter? (Choose 1)
    * Assassin - 68% (21)
    * Bounty Hunter - 32% (10)

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Swashbuckler. :p

EDIT: ditto Undertaker :D

[ September 24, 2005, 17:11: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Assassin:
    -x7 backstab multiplier
    -poison
    -bounty hunter has only those traps which become useless on higher levels (I don't want to Maze or ORS the enemy, I want to kill him) that's why BH is the worst thief kit
    But still I preffer the swashbuckler :D

4. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I must go with the Assassin as well. The poison and x7 backstab multiplier make it much more dangerous then the Bounty Hunter. Although I would go with the swashbuckler if I had to choose from all the kits.

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Without Backstab, the Swashbuckler is only half a thief. Whilst it gets a lot of cool bonuses, the best thief kit can't be the one without backstab - imho ;)

In this spirit, is the Assassin the best because of the insane x7 modifier at high levels? Well, perhaps. But there are other questions we need to ask, one being "Party or Solo?". This is beacuse it's in solo that the Bounty Hunter's maze traps really shine. Remembering that BH traps can be thrown, and don't seem to suffer the same restrictions as conventional traps (i.e. they'll still fire successfully when turning a neutral hostile). Also, the fact that Maze completely removes opponents from the map allows you to set traps beneath where they were standing! Played properly, they're nearly invincible, except when ToB decides to ambush you using the conversation engine. :grr:

However, for party play - even though the skill points are horrible at low levels - I'd prefer the assassin. A combined Backstabber/Archer (poison + Tuigan bow :yum: ) is very handy, but probably will struggle for skils with more than 4 total members in a party. The loss of Maze traps doesn't matter because you'll have plenty of ways to disable foes with a mage and cleric anyway.

But the Bounty Hunter is still the best way to attain Infinite Cosmic Power (tm). Of course, that doesn't mean it's neccesarily the best, does it? ;)

6. Hyperion Gems: 4/31

Just like The Magpie said, I didn't add the Swashbuckler because is more of a fighter than a thief. Heck, in some fields, he is better (I'm talking about his AC). If it wasn't for the Throne of Bhaal add-on, I would've chosen the Bounty Hunter, because he has a higher number of skill points/level, and in some fights, his traps are more than useful. But, his traps became obsolete with the add-on (the traps that are available from the HLA rock) and the number of skill points are more than enough until the end of the game for the Assassin. So I chosed Assassin, too. However, until now, I considered this kit as the weakest of the Thief class. ANother advantage is that he gains +1 damage and +1 to hit from the start (which is a +1 damage away from specialized), so he is a better fighter than the Bounty Hunter, and has greater chances to hit with a backstab.
    @The Magpie: I'm talking about the case when the thief is in a party.

7. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Bounty Hunter (his traps are very powerful if used right), though I like Assassin better.

8. Hard Blunt Stone of Fury Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

A Swashbuckler is like a better version of the Fighter/Thief except Swashies can't use the weapons of a fighter like the fighter thief can. *thinks about a dual classed Fighter/Swashbuckler*

Anyways Assassin is better then those Bounty Hunters in some*ahem* most ways.

9. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I say it depends a lot on how you want to use the thief...
    Swashbuckler's are great for many a thing, but a big minus is the sneak attack, or rather the lack thereof!
    Therefor I would actually say that I do not prefer one of the kits above the ohters (though I prefer assassin and swashbuckler over bounty hunter). Usually I don't make any kit based thiefs, but like to rather dual or multi a regular class thief.

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I cannot remember a single time I used backstab. I know, I'm missing out on the major skill of thieves, but while I love micromanaging my mage spellcasting I never had the patience for backstabbing. So, for me the Swashbuckler has advantages without a single disadvantage :)

Cannot really separate between Assassin and BH. I've no doubt the Assassin is very powerful, but not in my hands. And as has been mentionned, the special traps of the BH are obsolete come ToB.

11. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    A BH's traps can be thrown and that's really nice!
    The Swashbuckler is not useless if you dual into Fighter later, the bonuses make such a character a fearsome opponent (a single class Swashbuckler gets Whirlwind attacks later on which isn't that bad).
    Assassins are the best backstabbers, they are fun to play.

basically the choice is between traps and backstab. IMO traps can be boring -it tends to make the game too easy at times- so I'd pick Assassin.

12. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

It comes down to a question of versitility. The Assassin is extremely specialized where it shines in backstabbing and its poison is deadly. The Bounty Hunter is less specialized in that he has traps for all situations. Yea the HLA traps make using hunter traps obselte for damage so that is why they been getting additional abilities to ther traps so that you would use them. With those hunter traps you can remove key people out of the fight for a limited amount of time with no fuss which makes it easier to kill the remaining enemies.

I agree with The Magpie, Caradhras, and Greystar, the assassin gets my vote only because of fun not power. For power it goes to the Bounty hunter. (my personal fave still goes to the swashbuckler woot!).

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It depends. If you like to backstab a lot and then provide ranged support...Assassin is a lot better. However, if you are soloing and play intelligently...Bounty Hunters are VERY powerful...especially once you hit lvl 21.

14. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

assasin is a really good fighter at the higher levels aswell, you can dual wield CF and that blade of the monks you kan buy from the guy in that pub in the streets(how can i forget these things)?

and with the "always backstab" attack and a improved haste this char will do 100+ dammage per attack and have 9-10 attacks per round

15. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Swashbuckler.

But out of these? Bounty-Hunters. Those traps are killers.

Also, first BH voter! Wooh!

16. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

A second Bounty Hunter fan here. Sure, Assassins get x7 backstab damage and poison... but you have to sacrifice too much in thievery, or depend too much in potions. A Bounty Hunter doesn't lose as many points when levelling up, and is a much better all-round thief.

I find surprising the amount of people who disregard the BH because of the HLA's. The BH traps do not become obsolete once you obtain the ones in ToB. On the contrary, they are the perfect match. For those who haven't done so yet and plan to play a thief seriously, I'd recommend having a look at "Chris Lee's Thief Guide"

17. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I agree with Colthrun. Read Chris Lee's Thief Guide. The BH's traps do not become obsolete in ToB. First, the BH can throw his traps which is an incredibly powerful ability. Combine that with the Maze ability of thier level 21+ traps for some awesome combos.

Want to kill a ToB dragon who goes hostile with the first trap? Set a maze trap, Mr. Dragon disappears. Then set some of those HLA spike traps so that Mr. Dragon gets obliterated upon his return.

In the final fight in SoA, the Maze trap can actually break JI's spell scripts. Chris Lee points this out in his guide, and I have confirmed it in my own playing. Set a maze trap near where Jon spawns. When he appears he gets mazed automatically without going through his massive spell casting script. Wait a few minutes and Jon will reappear much the weaker.

Do not underrate the BH's traps. They are very powerful. I love it so much I usually SK my M/T's into being BHs. Great class, I much prefer them to Assassins.

On the other hand, if you think normal traps are cheesy already, the BH will slam your cheese meter through the roof.

18. Mihai SuperStar Gems: 4/31

The assasin and the bounty hunter are both soo stupid.However, the most idiot is Bounty Hunter.I don't play with any kind of thief anyway.

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I have to say neither. Swashbuckler looks the best to me, if thief kits go. For the roleplaying value, you may want to choose another kit. I suppose bounty hunter would be the least fighterish, assassin the most evil and so on.

20. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I guess it's all a matter of playing style. Myself, I hate having to fight enemies on their terms. I prefer scouting ahead and lure the enemy to a more suitable place, where the rest of my party is waiting for them. If I can set a couple of traps in the way, so much better.
    :thumb:

@Mihai:
    I can understand not liking to play with a class or a kit. I, for one, don't like playing with 2nd Edition bards mainly because of armor restrictions, and the fact that they can use any wizard spells and scrolls they choose. As a wizard fan I have an issue with that. Could you elaborate your opinion about thieves?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.