1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which One is Better BG1 or BG2?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Ofelix, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    It was some kind of "hard" to place this pool since it talk about two diferent game, but it's my d6 who have choose; (I've roll the dice if it was 1-2-3 it was on BG1 forum 4-5-6 the BG2 forum) and if you could, say why

[ February 17, 2003, 03:31: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 28 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Wich on is better BG1 or BG2? (28 votes.)

Wich on is better BG1 or BG2? (Choose 1)
    * Baldur's Gate - 36% (10)
    * Baldur's Gate II - Shadow of Amn - 64% (18)

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

BG2 of course - although can you really compare the two? They are so radically different.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I think BG1 has the better story, even though BG2 is a continuation.

But, BG1 won't pause in inventory. To some people, it's a small point. But to my dumb simian brain, it's a massive point. One point which I cannot look beyond.

I've played them both. But I like BG2 compared to BG1. The gameplay outweights BG1's story by a far margin.

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll have to give the nod to BG2,

As far as story goes, I think they are both the same. A great deal of intelligent was invested in the stories of both games. In fact, with BG2, I see a sort of parallel between Jon Irenicus and Saruman the White. Both were powerful wizards who were initially noble and highly regarded by their peers. Both fell from grace through precisely the same slippery slope, the desire for greater power. With Irenicus, it is in a way even more tragic, because he also lost the love of Queen Ellesime.

BG2 does provide more and better "eye-candy", more gameplay, and a far more refined combat and spell system.

This is not to knock down BG1, far from it. BG1 will always have a special place in my heart. It did what everybody would have though impossible less than ten years ago, resurrect a genre that was dooming itself to oblivion with Sir-Tech's demise, the Gold Box travesties, Ultima flops, etc. etc. That there were some shortcomings with the game engine and system can easily be forgiven.

5. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Baldur's Gate simply for the fact that it's the one that got me hooked on the whole FR world. Sure it isn't a pretty as BGII, but I still love it best.

6. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Baldur's Gate has the incredibly uncomprehendable significants of being my first CRPG. Hence it dices BG2 on that fact alone. The nice story and massive exploration value are bonus points.

7. RX2000 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

BG2 is definitely my favorite. I played BG2 first, then I went back and bought BG1. Now when I try to play BG1, I just feel soooooo weak. Only recovering 1 hp when I rest, and the fact that the game doesnt pause when I go to the inventory screen, makes the game pretty much unplayable for me.

(Lvl 1 with 8 hp, wtf?) :)

8. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ok, i agree the BG1 is not too easy to handle, re-re-rolling at level up, pausing at the inventory, bugs with number of item slots. The resolution is low (by the way 800x600 still not enough).
    But this is the first version.

I found the BG1 more balanced, and more realistic.
    In BG2 you can find magical weapons very easy. You don't have to fight for them! As it would grow on trees.

For that, who started with BG2 the BG1 is not comfortable at all. But who played BG1 usually likes it's l'ambiance.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The choice is very simple. When you talk about multiple games at once, it goes into The Playground. Moving.

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Tal- didn't know sorry,

So far: it's 50/50, but myself I think the first is a litle better, since the story is truly amazing and it's a litle bit more hard.

11. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Story's a little better in BG1.
    But the gameplay and the feeling goes to BG2.
    One thing i dont like that much in BG2 are so many magical weapons just lying around waiting to be picked up. It's just strange.

The best thing is to play one after another, or even paralely with same char.

12. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    BG1 gets all the cards, the game looks better, and its story was great.

and BG1 is the beginning, your character starts out and develops, you arent given 8 levels before hand

13. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Add the fact that BG1 has some great moments.

When Sarevok kills Gorian
    Running into the Assassin at the Friendly Arm First Appearance of Minsc(Boo) and Edwin

One big reason is even how/where the game starts out. In candlekeep a peaceful hamlet(despite the two assassins)

14. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I played Shadows of Amn first so I found some of the gameplay annoying in Baldurs Gate.Like the lack of a pause when you checked you backpack.
    Having said that though the storyline in Baldurs Gate was great(SOA was awesome too).
    Having played pnp d&d since the early eighties both these games were dreams come true for me.Especialy since it is almost impossiable to get a group to play pnp now.
    I thought both games were great and its hard to pick on over the other.

[ February 19, 2003, 03:39: Message edited by: Dorion Blackstar ]

15. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Both were good of course. But I choose BG2 because of the character dialogue in it. BG1 had far simpler dialogues, and dialogues are just about the most important thing to me.

But I did love BG1 for once giving the feeling of how hard it actually is for a new adventurer to set forth. BG1 is the only game that has given true challenge and joy for character barely able to cast one magic missile, to grow in power to the point of a professional mage, or even an archmage.

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

BG1 by far. It is more realistic and a much better and more epic storyline. The quests don't just jump out at you but are more subtle in appearing, the fighting is more frantic and insane and there is no powergaming

17. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I prefer BGII, but BGI got me hooked, and you really need to play it before everything makes THAT much more sense.

18. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

BG 1 incredible story,damn hard,really good plot
    BG 2 incredible story,not that hard,superb items, epic fights
    I choose BG2

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.