1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Where do you buy your books?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Carcaroth, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Fairly self explanatory question, how often (if at all) do you use the following to buy your books.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 6 question(s). 37 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Where do you buy your books? (37 votes.)

Bookstore - New Books (Choose 1)
    * Often - 38% (14)
    * Occasionally - 35% (13)
    * Rarely - 24% (9)
    * Never - 3% (1)

Second Hand Bookstore (Choose 1)
    * Often - 16% (6)
    * Occasionally - 16% (6)
    * Rarely - 35% (13)
    * Never - 32% (12)

Charity Shops (Choose 1)
    * Often - 3% (1)
    * Occasionally - 3% (1)
    * Rarely - 19% (7)
    * Never - 76% (28)

Bookclub (Online or Mail-order) (Choose 1)
    * Often - 5% (2)
    * Occasionally - 0% (0)
    * Rarely - 11% (4)
    * Never - 84% (31)

On-line Bookstore - New Books (Amazon, etc) (Choose 1)
    * Often - 38% (14)
    * Occasionally - 16% (6)
    * Rarely - 22% (8)
    * Never - 24% (9)

On-line Second hand (Ebay, Amazon z-shops etc) (Choose 1)
    * Often - 8% (3)
    * Occasionally - 11% (4)
    * Rarely - 24% (9)
    * Never - 57% (21)

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I buy most of my books via mail order from the Science Fiction Book Club. I am also currently receiving a book a month from the Easton Press Masterpieces of Fantasy collection.

If the book isn't available from the book club I will usually pick it up new from a book store (Chapters/Indigo/World's Biggest Bookstore- they are all the same chain really and almost have a monopoly in Canada).

If the book is older or hard to find then I will start using on-line purchasing. I generally purchase most books from Chapters On-Line as my first choice and then resort to eBay. I have picked up quite a few nice Easton Press books from eBay - generally you will pay a premium for the fantasy books if you try to get them via eBay but there are a fair number of classics that you can win at a nice discount.

If I happen to be walking past a second hand or charity store I may take a quick look but I rarely buy from them.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@JSBB
    Do you know of any book clubs that would extend membership to countries in asia (more specifically, the philippines)? I wanted to join a couple a long time ago but it seemed to ship to only the U.K, the U.S and Canada.. :(

As for me, I buy mostly at bookstores and 2nd-hand bookstores. There aren't really many charity booksales here, or at least many worth going to, in my experience. I sometimes order online from Amazon when the book is quite literally impossible to find (out of print, etc.) but the shipping fee is just too steep for me to be able to do it often.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Amazon thru SP, bay-BEE!

[suckup] Honestly, since finding SP the only time I go into a bookstore is when I need something faster than Amazon's free delivery will get it to me, or Amazon doesn't have the item. Same with CDs. [/suckup]

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ Enagonios - Sorry but I don't think I can help you here.

The Science Fiction Book Club only ships to Canada and the U.S.A. They are a division of the Doubleday book clubs (who operate almost all of the book clubs that I have seen around here) so I imagine that the other clubs have similar selling practices.

Easton Press may ship overseas if you call or e-mail one of their sales representatives. If you try to buy on-line they will only ship within the U.S.A. but I had no problems getting them to ship to Canada. However, I imagine that shipping costs to the Philippines would be quite high and if you add in the fact that Easton Press books are expensive premium editions you will have quite a hefty price tag.

6. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

My book-buying is really dictated by my reading preferences which is:
    a.) Find an Author
    b.) Read just about everything they've written.

99% of what I read is Fantasy and the Authors I like just don't churn books out fast enough. When they do come out it's often round Christmas and my Birthday so it's an easy gift idea for other people to buy me.
    I'm in a pretty good situation for Second Hand book stores as Charing Cross Road is nearby. I also have an Amnesty Internation Bookstore 5mins away, and there's a good Oxfam bookstore in Cambridge.

I resort to Ebay and Z-shops when I want to complete a set and can't find it elsewhere.

Oh yes, I also have a preference for Hardbacks but strenuously object to paying three times the price.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Regular bookstores & Amazon for me.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Shucks. I guess I'll have to keep on doing what I'm doing now :eek:

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Having moved house a few times and being shocked at how many books we have accumulated that we never read, I have almost completely stopped buying books at all, especially fiction. I now save my money and just use our local library which has a request service with every other library in the city so I'm sure to be able to find just about any book I want.

If I'm buying a book as a gift for someone I prefer to buy online because its cheaper (well, it was in the UK, but not quite as good in NZ). A few years ago when I lived in UK, I bought about one book a week from Amazon.

10. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I hardly buy any book, as our library is totally free, unless you are too late with returning items, and it has a nice request system that even allows you to order books they should buy (if they don't already have it). The only disadvantage the library has is that the books are always Dutch translations, but I find that a small price to pay for not having to buy the books myself. But if I buy books, it's in a bookstore and they are new.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Like JSBB, I have a subscription through the Easton Press (Signed First Editions of Science Fiction). I have over 180 of these so far, and I'm way behind in reading them. :) I also bought the 1001 Arabian Nights from the Easton Press.

All my fantasy books, I buy at a bookstore in paperback form, as well as other types of books that I buy just occasionally while browsing (like computer or technical books)

Things that are harder to find at a regular bookstore I buy through Amazon (D&D core books, some technical books).

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Where the heck do you put 180 books?

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    On bookshelves :)

14. Harbourboy

You must have some huge library in your house (like in the horror movies where moving one of the books opens a secret passage to the vampire's hidden lair).

15. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    There are two big bookstores in my hometown, one completely dedicated to fantasy, and every year there is a big bookmarket in Rotterdam, so I buy about 20 books a year ^_^

HB, I have about 130 books in my room, and my dad has more in the livingroom downstairs, teehee

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@Harbourboy - You are questioning BTA having 180 books? If you note that is only his Easton Press collection - I am sure his library is considerably larger than that.

My library has only 40 or so Easton Press so far but my total number has to be at least 500 - I really should count them some time. My office has four floor-ceiling book shelf units and I have three more in my basement.

Edit: O.K. I did a quick count and I only have 34 Easton Press so far but I majorly underesimated by total collection. Counting omnibuses as only one book and not counting any of the books that I have in storage bins (mostly textbooks) I currently have 739 books.

[ November 11, 2004, 02:57: Message edited by: JSBB ]

17. Harbourboy

Wow, some of you guys have plenty of books (and big houses with loads of storage). I would only have half as many as you guys but still think that is way too many and am considering selling most of them.

The only books I think I would need to own would be:
    - cook books
    - reference book on babies (e.g. he's making a funny noise! what do I do now?)
    - my large hard back copies of "The Lord of the Rings"
    - "Scruffy Teddy's Book of Counting" (essential bedtime reading for Harbourbaby)

That'd all fit on one shelf and I'd really like to clear out everything else and let the library do all the storage for me.

18. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Though SP, including the barrister bookshelves the books are sitting on. :lol:

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I usually buy a package of around 3-5 books a month either through amazon or through a Swedish book site and I have a serious problem as where to put it all. Currently I have one closet crammed with books, a few stacks to the wall nd then just my apartment in general being covered in books.

Havent bought any books lately as I am trying to take my studies seriously for once seeing as it is my last semester but when christmas comes around I will be on the hunt for more books yet again.

20. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I've only got about 60 books or so thus far, and so far I've really only ever bought from bookstores (regular or second-hand) because I'm not able to buy on-line - no credit card.

I'd consider buying on-line though if there were an easy way. And purely because of my experiences here on the BoM I'd definitely go through here first.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.