1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What Topic in the Alley Most Gets On Your Nerves?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mathetais, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I'm not sure if any of you leave the Alley with a headache or gritting your teeth ... but I do.

So ... what topics most set you off, either here or in *gasp* real life?

For me, debating politics with idiot liberals always gives me a headache. Evolution would be high on the list.

I'll try to give broad categories in the poll, please give more specifics in your reponses.

[ April 01, 2003, 16:38: Message edited by: Mathetais ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 42 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What Topic at SP Most Gets On Your Nerves? (42 votes.)

What Topic at SP Most Gets On Your Nerves? (Choose 1)
    * Politics: The Role of the US in the World - 48% (20)
    * Politics: Foreign Policy - 0% (0)
    * Politics: Domestic Policy - 0% (0)
    * Religion - 21% (9)
    * Science: Evolution - 7% (3)
    * Science: New Developments (Cloning, et al) - 2% (1)
    * Bioethics (Abortion, Human Genome Research) - 7% (3)
    * Pop Culture: Deep Issues about Movies, Music, ect - 7% (3)
    * Money - 2% (1)
    * Other - 5% (2)

2. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Mathetais, You forgot "All of the Above" :grin:

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Oh, just about everything that's a lure for the U.S./organized religion bashers. ;)

But I do my best to refrain from getting caught up in these heated arguments of SP. :p

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I do not really get annoyed by subjects, what really annoys me is people that are extremely narrowminded and just chant the same things over and over again, most often it is not their own thoughts they chant but something someone else have told them. People that are just spitting out what others have told them to think makes me really annoyed. People that seem to still think it is the 16th century also annoyes me, sometimes I think the renaissance completely passed some people and left them still think that human life and humanity is something worthless and something that needs to be surpressed so people dont start doing what they want to do.

Subjects that really get me going are a few but they exists. Religion is a main part of it, I am just constantly baffled that fairy tales and mythology can have such an impact and important in todays society. I can understand that people might seek the comfort of faith and a need to believe in something above us humans but that such things can go outside of the private personal sphere is horrible.

International politics also can get my riled up and politics in general. I am not really all that interested in specific issues but am more interested in ideology.

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Discussing anything with anyone who won't be wavered in their opinion (i.e. bullheaded people, e.g. Darkwolf :D ), especially people with completly opposite views than me... like my dad.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I voted religion simply because most people will at least listen to what others have to say on the other topics. Religion, however, by its very nature is not provable or particularly debatable on a logical basis and just rests in the belief system of those discussing it. Thus, there is little chance of convincing anyone of anything and a large chance of getting into arguments over things that are simply not provable.

I'll give an example. I recently received some e-mail about Mel Gibson's religion and his belief that Jews are Christ-killers and his father's belief that there was no Holocaust and the World Trade Center was taken down by remote control on 9/11 and Al Quaeda had nothing to do with it. How do you respond to that?

Here's the link:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/030903_nw_gibson.html

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    just reply to Mel:
    "Thou, o hater of Jews, why did you adopt their religion" :D

Anyways, back to topic

I get a little agitated over the whole American Politics stuff, things like:
    "Here is the proof America has been a bad boy again", giving a link to a 100-page story,, explaining with "historical facts", rumours and possible dangers... makes me go spinny :spin:

[ April 01, 2003, 16:30: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Anyone saying that evolution didn't happen, IMHO, they're idiots.

9. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I went with religion since as a debate is a non starter.

All religions are based on belief, and regardless of faith it is very hard to coherently argue over beliefs.

All other topics can be based in factul argument. Conclusions and moral issues are varied even drawn from the same facts, but at least there are provable facts to argue over.

10. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Any discussion with people who think that their intimate knowledge of the rules of debate, philosophy, and 60 college credits makes up for their lack of life experience and common sense. I won't lower myself to dropping any names. :toofar:

11. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I don't mind reading debates on any specific topic, but when it goes from reasonable debate and discussion to all-out US-bashing, then I get sick. I think that at that point it just goes too far and that there is really no reason involved in the argument at all!

I mean, there have got to be better things for us to talk about than why the US is evil incarnate!

12. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Probably all those posts about evolution being 'proven wrong' and how 'Darwin was mistaken' usually based on some wierd misconception that evolution somehow tarnishes religion. Hey, I know graduate biologists who are very serious about their faith and religion and have no problems accepting the ideas of evolution and natural selection.

13. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

@ Vukodlak ---- I could kiss you!! I agree wholeheartedly!

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Wow ... so what you mean is "I AM ANNOYING!" since I believe that Evolution is a crock of primoral crap! :lol:

What thrilling results to this poll!

I hope to find that I'm annoying in a few other areas too ;)

15. Yerril Gems: 22/31

I don't like the ones where arrogant people spout pretentious views and opinions, utterly convinced of their own moral and intellectual superiority.

Oh, wait... that's all of them...

:)

Sorry, but I really don't like arguing.

16. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

A big hurray for Sir Yerril!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Oooopppps! Wait a minute, I think I am one of the ones he is talking about... :confused:

Oh well, he does make a great point! ;)

17. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

But what if I really am morally and intellectually superior? Is it still pompous?

:good: ;) :holy:

18. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    But Yerrie, I cant be moral superior, since I donĀ“t have them :grin:

19. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Morgoth, it wasn't your morale that made you superior, it were your evil powers that made you OMNIPOTENT!!

I don't get annoyed quickly, but there are some things that could.
    Generalizing people, for example ('All you guys are the same'). Or people who start flaming iso answering questions.
    Remember one thing: I am a Christian and I don't say things to convince, but to testify (In Dutch this is better: Niet OVERtuigen, maar GEtuigen)

:roll:

20. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Hey no slagging off Mel gibson! :yot:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.