1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What do you think about the Morning After Pill?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I got this idea from a poll on MSNBC. I had to modify the original version to make it appropriate for the international community here on SP, as the poll options in the original were very much slanted to this being new (to an American) legislation.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 36 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What do you think about the Morning After Pill? (36 votes.)

What do you think about Morning After Pill Use? (Choose 1)
    * Supportive - Women should as many options available to them as possible. - 56% (20)
    * Conditionally Supportive - OK with it, but only as a last resort - not routine birth control. - 36% (13)
    * Conditionally Unsupportive - It should be available, but only with a doctor's perscription. - 3% (1)
    * Unsupportive - there doesn't appear to be much differnce between this and the abortion pill. - 3% (1)
    * Don't Know/Don't Care/Just the Results - 3% (1)

Is the age restriction (18 and older) approptiate? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - parents should be involved in these decisions. - 28% (10)
    * No - If it's over-the-counter, it should be available to people under 18, like other OTC medication. - 44% (16)
    * Doesn't matter - if you're under 18, you'll just find someone 18 or older to purchase it for you. - 17% (6)
    * I don't support use of the Morning After Pill regardless of the restrictions in place. - 3% (1)
    * Don't Know/Don't Care/Just the Results - 8% (3)

2. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A little-known fact is that taking 3 or 4 ordinary birth controls pills does the exact same thing as the oh-so-controversial "Morning After Pill." It's the same drug, if I'm not mistaken.

Of course draconian laws prevent OB-GYNs from mentioning this to their patients who fear they might be pregnant.

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well the morning after pill is just high dose oestrogen. Ordinary birth control pills are progesterone or oestrogen/progesterone mix. So yeah, I don't understand all the controversy.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why can't the morning after pill be used as normal birth control? It's completely separate to abortion. Unless you consider an egg that may, or may not have been fertilised just a few hours ago as a human being... which of course is ludicrous.

Women use the MAP as a fail-safe most of the time. The couple'll use a condom, but then the lass will still have a pill the next morning 'just in case'. My ex-girlfriend also took one if we got a bit carried away and forgot about using a condom. Loads and loads of couples do that.

It's a brilliant thing and perfectly acceptable as far as I can see. I can't believe it's still controversial in some places.

Not everyone wants to risk having a kid every time they fancy a bit of slap and tickle. Imagine that...

5. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    I find it strange that the legal age for having sex and the age required to purchase the pill isn't, from what i can discern, the same. Aren't girls under 18 just as likely to get pregnant and wouldn't they in fact have even more to loose in case of an unwanted pregnancy?

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, technically in the US, sex under the age of 18 is statutory rape... There's all sorts of handwaving about it though, so you don't see prosecutions much unless it really was not consensual. Still, technically, one under the age of 18 shouldn't be having sex in the US.

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's 16 in the UK. Which is quite ridiculous really when you consider the age of consent for drink, which is 18.

So you can legally get knocked up and fire out a few sprogs at 16, but you can't go out and get drunk.

British legal system ftw!

It's all a load of crap anyway. When I was 18 I lost my virginity to a 15 year old and didn't think twice about it - it should be tghe other way around, I know! - and she was the one in charge, without being crude, she knew what she was doing let me tell you.

So what I'm trying to say is that the age of consent is pretty irrelative to young 'uns these days. Personally, I think it should be scrapped, but there it is. It should all just be about consensual and non-consensual.

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Every sperm is sacred.
    Every sperm is great.
    If a sperm is wasted,
    God gets quite irate.

9. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    Really? Sorry I didn't know that, still the fact remains that people under the age of 18 are having sex and I think they should be able to purchase the pill.

10. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

No you can't do that. You'd get very sick, and probably breast cancer if you had high dose oestrogen too often.

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Same for the US, except it's 18 and 21. Well, it varies by state, but that's what it is here in Wisconsin anyway. Luckily, there's a clause or something about parental consent with drinking. So even a 12 year old could have a beer at home if mommy or daddy approved it. (Though at some age it might become parental neglect/abuse... :hmm: )

12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Not here in Massachusetts. If both people are under 18 (and above 16), they can have sex legally. If one is above 18, then it is rape.

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I am all for the morning after pill, but I don't think it should be used routinely. for one, high hormonal doses are simply not good for anyuone's health, and second off, it is not foolproof.

And the third reason is tht I don't like the "Oh, i'll just take a pilla fterwards" mentality - because ot promotes carelessness. If someone doesn't have the forethought to make sure they minimize the chance of consequences, they shouldn't be messing aroun - and sure as hell not on regular basis.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

The morning after pill is a safety net for broken condoms or other failed contraceptives. It is to be used when contraceptives fail and really should only be used then.

I can't help but compare it to a paladin's 'lay on hands' ability, something that should only be used in emergencies.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Nice. Except that 99.99999999999% of all sperm does end up being 'wasted' so God must be ropable by now.

16. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Anything that can stop chavs bringing wee chavs into the world is a good thing.

17. Stardust Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah morning after pills are for real emergencys however what a emergency is is left to the person to judge. Is forgetting your condoms a emergency?

Anyhow I think that the day after pills are way owerrated.

Why would they only be avalible for people over the age of 18, don't you have sex before that? I know that it's "illegal" or something like it, but nobody really cares the PD don't do any kind of checks as far as i know. :p
    I think that the biggest group of users of thesse pills would be people in the age of 16-22.

18. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Women should have all the possibilities open for them. Then they should have extensive knowledge about those possibilities. The state and the society should provide both for it's own sake.

The countries with increased numbers of teenage pregnancies can blame themselves for neglecting sexual education. If it's supposed that the schoolsystem provides adequate level of education and civilized behaviour, then the schools should be allowed to do the part of education and fostering that other parts of society, like parents, are neglecting.

If you have free will, you need to educate people in order they could make better choices for themselves.

Otherwise I'm thinking on the same lines as Arabwel.

19. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I support them, and there should be no age requirement.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Sex is meant for marriage. Sex between teenagers is a tragedy. Contraception is gravely wrong. Abortion is murder. Post-coital contraception ranks between gravely wrong and murder, depending what it's closer to. And if there are any problems, the problems stem from people going on a **** spree the moment they turn 14, not from contraceptives and abortions not being celebrated enough.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.