1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Vampire: the Masquerade (the RPG)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Oaz, May 26, 2004.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Please note that when I refer to Vampire: the Masqerade (V:tM), I do not mean the computer game or anything digital. I mean the pen-and-paper story-based game with a few players and a Storyteller (ST).

Okay, I'm not a goth. Black is not my favorite color (see "Does SP need a revamp?" thread), I don't drink red wine (but Mt. Dew Code Red is cool), and before I got interested in V:tM, the shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel were the only thing I had to do with vampires.

Recently, however, I've become a bit engrossed in what seems like a very promising game to try out in the future. White Wolf (which produces V:tM) has nowhere near the influence or prestige of WotC, so I distrust WW less, but nevertheless, it is still very intruiging.

Here are some things that have interested me:
    -The game is vastly story-based. When I got into D&D, I became somewhat of a rules lawyer (and I still am, thankyouverymuch). I enjoyed playing D&D for the sake of playing it - NOT because I got to participate in a grand story, but because I got to play a D&D character. V:tM, however, seems vastly more story-based. This shift sounds very cool, and I would love to try a game with simpler rules and more emphasis on storytelling.
    -The rules are so much more simpler. You're all familiar with the six ability scores at the 3-18 range. With V:tM, there are four ability scores, ranging from 1-5. Wow.
    -It's not some completely black spooky gothic game. The first kinds of vampires I was introduced were the Malkavian (crazy, insane, but for some reason very insightful) and the Nosferatu (disfigured, ugly, but strong and quick). I feel somewhat of a bigot with my previous assumption of "all individuals who like to play vampires are dumb goths."

Well, that's it. I would like to hear what your experiences have been with V:tM, if you've played it.

(Okay, final note: the book is pretty funny; its wit sometimes matches that of the WotC books. An elder vamp might create a new one from a computer geek in order to figure out those "infernal contraptions.")

[ May 26, 2004, 04:00: Message edited by: Oaz ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 12 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Vampire: the Masquerade (the RPG) (12 votes.)

Have you played Vampire: the Masquerade? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 17% (2)
    * No - 83% (10)

How did you enjoy playing V:tM? (Choose 1)
    * Superior - 0% (0)
    * Very Good - 8% (1)
    * Good - 8% (1)
    * Fair - 0% (0)
    * Poor - 0% (0)
    * Haven't played - 83% (10)

2. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I haven't played it, but I've read the sourcebook for it, and it's a great read. Vampire is a great game, incredibly story based. The entire book is history and setting with a short blurb on the rules. The Werewolf: The Apocalypse book (also from WW) is even better. Long story short: Vampire is a great game, and I'd love to play it. Those of my friends who have played it enjoyed it.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It does sound interesting, but I have no real way of getting hold of it (and not too much inclination, seeing the pointlessness of doing so with the number of roleplayers in my area).

However, if you're interested in a (free) system which is almost entirely story based, have a look at this: http://www.randomordercreations.com/thepool.html

4. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Played it twice actually, I was trying to get the good ending but in both tries I ended up killing everyone I see. The sad thing about this game is that the characters from the past are not in the future. I was hoping for a reunion or something...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.