1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The ownership of Guns

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by DarkStrider, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

[​IMG] There is a long-running debate on gun ownership and control and I was interested in learning more in simple terms. There 7 questions in total, 4 about owning guns and then a subsequent question about which continent for 3 of them.
    Definition of a gun for this purposes is a pistol (automatic or revolver), rifle or shotgun that can be used to kill.
    Please answer honestly I know I have....

When I lived in Africa I did a lot of travelling and was advised to carry guns as a protection, on two separate occasions I legally shot burglars on my land carrying away my property. The first one was a white european, the second was an indigenous african.

EDIT: Question 5 is about whether you have fired a gun for a purpose other than target practice not necessarily self-defence, it could be hunting or as a warning to a wild animal etc.

If your answers are No to questions 1 and 5 then show where you live now. Thanks
    /end edit

[ March 09, 2006, 15:39: Message edited by: DarkStrider ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 7 question(s). 17 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: The ownership of Guns (17 votes.)

Have you ever owned a gun? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 29% (5)
    * No - 71% (12)

Where did you live when you owned it (Choose 1)
    * Africa - 6% (1)
    * Asia - 0% (0)
    * Australasia - 6% (1)
    * Europe - 47% (8)
    * Middle East - 0% (0)
    * North America - 41% (7)
    * Pacific Islands - 0% (0)
    * South America - 0% (0)

Do you currently own a gun? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 24% (4)
    * No - 76% (13)

Where do you live currently? (Choose 1)
    * Africa - 0% (0)
    * Asia - 0% (0)
    * Australasia - 6% (1)
    * Europe - 53% (9)
    * Middle East - 0% (0)
    * South America - 0% (0)

Have you ever had to use a gun in a situation? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 29% (5)
    * No - 71% (12)

Where were you living when you used the gun? (Choose 1)
    * Africa - 6% (1)
    * Asia - 0% (0)
    * Australasia - 6% (1)
    * Europe - 47% (8)
    * Middle East - 0% (0)
    * South America - 0% (0)

Would you ever consider owning a gun (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 59% (10)
    * No - 41% (7)

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well, I didn't have to use, but I chose to use it. I like to hunt, venison helps to streatch the budget and it tastes real good to. Not to mention, that without thinning the herds many dear would starve to death in our harsh winters.

I also enjoy shooting at targets. It is a fundamental right and privelage to own and use firearms in the US. It was so important to our founding fathers that they actually wrote it in our constitution. I have heard all the liberal crap about how guns kill people yadah yadah. I have owned guns since I was sixteen, and since then not one of my guns has so much budged off the gun rack on its own, much less gone out and shot someone. Yes I do keep my guns and ammunition locked up tight and out of the hands of my children, but when they are old enough, I will have each of my girls learn about and fire one of my guns. I think that it is very important for them to know gun safety. I know that guns (especially pistols) are compact and easy to hide and therefore make a good murder weapon. I also know that if someone wants to kill someone, they will find a weapon wether it be a knife, a car, or a baseball bat. I have four relatives in law enforcement, and they have all rolled up on more homicides with weapons other than a gun, than with a gun. I am not trying to be offensive, and I respect anyone who takes the time to form convictions, as long as they respect mine.

I have a friend whose father was murdered. His killer used a car. He didn't have a license, he didn't have insurance, in fact he had to "steal" his mother's car in order to do it. The house he left had three guns with ammunition that were unlocked.

I know that in many other countries gun ownership is not the norm, but here in the US, I know more people that have guns than do not. Guns have a huge part of our history.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Questions 2 and 6 are problematic if you've never owned a gun. I ended up answering North America for both of them because that's where I live, but I've never owned or used a gun anywhere. (Well, I've used a paintball gun, but per your definition that doesn't qualify.)

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I assume from the wording that question 5 means some form of self-defense. I answered no but if the intention was using a gun for any purpose the answer would be yes. Nothing illegal. :)

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tehehe! At this moment, the answers to 3-5 are pretty funny. There are 4 who own a gun, 7 who don't; 4 who are European, 7 who are North American; and 4 who had to use a gun in a situation and 7 who haven't. Making the possibly (probably :) ) wrong assumption that each of those 4 and 7 people are the same from question to question, the poll shows that it is the Europeans who are gun crazy, and the North Americans who don't have any guns :lol:

6. halfogremagi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Brallrock ...but when they are old enough, I will have each of my girls learn about and fire one of my guns. I think that it is very important for them to know gun safety.

Be careful what you wish for... there is nothing more... "disturbing"... than...
    ...having your 9 year old daughter outscore you on a 100yrd target, then turn to you and flash you the universal sign for "lllllloooooser" in front of her forehead.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] DS, as people have mentioned, this poll is unfortunately flawed if you've never owned a gun...

halfogremagi, having 9 year olds firing guns? Besides being extremely reckless and unthinkable from my perspective, is not even that against the law in the US? Frankly, when parents push their gun culture on their prepubscent kids, it's really no wonder the situation is what it is in the US.

Again, having 9 year old girls firing guns? I've heard about a lot of stupid crap over the years, but this has floored me, seriously. :toofar:

I thouroughly agree that something like that being allowed is extremely disturbing. I sincerely hope that your kids don't blow their own or somebody else's brains out "playing" some day.

8. halfogremagi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Good grief man... I'm helping her work on a Riflemanship patch for her 4H group... *shudder*

Illegal...? Not.

Play...? Anyone "playing" with a firearm in my presence gets a swift boot up their ass... 9 year olds on up.

Hey... don't sweat it brother... I know the score all too well... yer all a bunch of bed wetting, hand wringing, Nancy-boys... and I'm an ignorant, redneck, mouthbreather.

It's all good.

I'll just refrain from posting anything further on the topic.

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Yes Tal I should have put some conditional branching in it, can you delete it and I'll re-work it

Thanks

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Where do you live? Most states have a minimum of 14 years old to use a gun of any type, or get any type of hunting license for that matter, and that includes hunting that doesn't involve a rifle...

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] DS, just make a new one and we'll close this one down after the new one's up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.