1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The Darkest Day poll

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mystra's Chosen, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

[​IMG] Because of a disagreement between me and another member, I've decided to post this poll to see if the majority of TDD players had a positive expierience, or a negetive one.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 65 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: The Darkest Day poll (65 votes.)

The Darkest Day poll (Choose 1)
    * I thought the mod was good. - 23% (15)
    * I thought the mod was bad. - 34% (22)
    * I'm on the fence (meaning I really have no opinion). - 11% (7)
    * I've never actually played it. - 32% (21)

2. Jolt Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

When i decided to install it i thought it sounded good...then i started playing it and didnt know what was going on so i uninstalled it then is left my worldmap permenently screwed up so i had to reinstall bg2..so my experience with it hasnt been good

3. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Back when I played it, and it has been over an year at least since I used the mod, I was still kind of a newbie to Baldurs gate, so even though much of it might be overpowered, both kits and Items, I would still die on a regular basis, so for me the mod was great, it added lots of new kits and items...the only bad thing was the reused areas, which i think sucked

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I thought it was good, but that was mainly because I was lucky and experienced not one bug, except that the Heat Metal spell wouldn't work.

5. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I liked it. I enjoy being overpowered and whatnot. The only problem was that I had to reinstall all BG2 when I removed it, which really wasn't that much of a biggie.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I guess it depends what you compare it to. Back then (IIRC) the only other available mod was Epic Endeavours, and it was more like a total conversion. So I found it realy sweet to have more quests, items and whatnot using the same characters from SOA. And besides the recycled areas thing never really bothered me.

The only annoying thing IMHO were the bugs, and it seems most were squashed in 1.0.3A (never played that version though)

7. Col. Bruce Hampton Retired Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

*Enters TDD Support Group*
    "Hi, my name is colbruce and I enjoy TDD 103A."

As far as I understood it, Mystra's, we agreed that you didn't like TDD because of bugs and quality issues you encountered in the version of the game you played (not the final version). We agreed (hopefully) that I do like TDD, based on my experience. I don't see what's to disagree about, as each person is entitled to their own opinion about a mod.

My favorite parts of TDD were:
    *The new quests
    *Esthpurta
    *Purskal
    *Trollford
    *Troll Mountain
    *Riativin
    *Mage District
    *Return to Hell
    *Return to Underdark
    *3 Dragons: Bronze, Gold, Draco-Lich
    *Some of the kits that are interesting
    *Some of the spells are great
    *I actually don't use many of the items but a few.
    *EDIT: And how could I forget! It adds a dozen NPC's into the game, and several have quests.

The return to the Underdark, in TDD's Riativin main quest, is quite cool. I recovered the fangs of 3 dragons for Jarlaxle. Believe me, fighting the Draco-Lich with Tactics Smarter Dragons enchancing the fight, was quite a fun challenge.

TDD was one of the first large mods on BG2. It broke a lot of ground, and was made before many of today's modding techniques and tools were developed.

It has some bugs. The most bugs are eliminated if you install it properly to the final version. Other bugs can be worked-around if you are an experienced player.

8. MilanChe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Didn't like it. Quests were stupid, with recycled maps from IWD. Kits were the worst. You could pick a Samurai for example, and you would be playing a ranger, or a ninja who was a thief, they just had different names, and nothing significant to differentiate them from the the class they derived. Shar-Teel was a good NPC and I liked the way her acquiring was put in the game. The others sucked. Haven't expirenced any bugs, on the other hand though, I haven't played through the entire mod. Wasn't really compeled to.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I've never even played it, but that's because I heard it was terrible and buggy as hell.

10. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

(drools) It rocks. i like it. Its a shame no one makes new maps for modding but then again that would be really really hard. Actually, maybe i will try to do so to get a picture 4 my account.....

11. Porthas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I played it so long ago the only thing I can remember was that I didn't like it because the dialogue and spelling were terrible.

12. Lujack Gems: 1/31

Although it definitely had some annoying little bugs, overall I liked TDD. And most of the bugs were taken care of in version 103A. The recycled rooms didn't bother me that much. I enjoyed the new spells, weapons and NPC's, especially Adario the assassin.

13. Shadow Cougar Banned

I took TDD just for the classes, it was never good enough for me...

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I tried playing it after having looked forward to it for a long time but I only got a third into the game until the crashes and freezes were too much to bear. I might give it a new chance now as so many people say that the bugs have been worked around.

15. Col. Bruce Hampton Retired Gems: 3/31

TDD v103A has never crashed on me. BG2 has only frozen a few times in the years I've played it.

When I refer to "bugs" in TDD, I'm just talking about disconnected quests, or a Store-Name that shows up as a sentence of dialog. For example I entered the cave to fight the treacherous Entreri, but he wasn't there. This battle would be critical to continue the quest. I simply looked up the CLUA code for Enteri ("artcave4"), and spawned him. He said his dialog and the game resumed normally after that.

If the whole mod crashes and just doesn't work, that would mean the installation got screwed up. Uninstall and try again.

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well my last run with TDD was in the months after its first release so I am sure they have fixed most of the real severe problems.

17. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I didnt like it, but that's because it did what I hate. I was really looking forward to playing it, and having all the BG NPC's back in it was good. The problem was the extra areas. They just strung a load of re-used maps together, and overpopulated them with monsters. I was playing through one area, and remember wondering when the hell it was going to end. Not my kind of thing, but I guess it will appeal to others.

18. klonny Gems: 1/31

arrrgh its got so much potential, but sooooo many bugs! SO MANY BUGS! someonem please help me- ive downloaded the 1.0.3 patch, but there are still limitless bugs.
    granted the maps ARE recycled from icewind dale, and the difference between the classes is aesthetic, they added class specific items in to make it more specific. and the quests ( the 2 out of about 10 that actually loaded ) are.... well, uninspired- the game has its good points.
    the new items and shops are very interesting, granted there are typoes and script problems, and some item pictures dont load, they are interesting.
    and the classes are a thing that ABSOLUTELY neede to be added, but it needs to be more specific than +1 dex -1 con kinda packs. im talking new abilities and stuff. ( for example the samarai's ancestral sword upgrade ability... missing )
    but the mods trues saving grace is truly the new spells. they alone are worth it. well, the ones that dont make the game crash.... and the ones that work right...

to the designers of the darkest day mod- if you need an extra tester im more than willing. ill work free and ill work as much as you need me. this is quality stuff you made, but it could be gold with some work.

19. Col. Bruce Hampton Retired Gems: 3/31

They stopped updating this mod more than a year ago. The final version ever is 103A. I recently completed playing every quest TDD with no game-crashing bugs (just the dialog bugs and disconnected quests). I was able to trigger every quest in the mod, I did them all including most of the NPC side-quests. A few quests I had to use CLUA, either to summon the person I needed to talk to, or to teleport home when a map was finished. If you have a specific encounter you need help with, search the TDD forums with Archive.org Wayback Machine, or ask here.

20. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I am going to install it tommorrow, i downloaded it today together with the patch.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.