1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Should Marijuana be legalized?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Do you belive that marajuana should be legalized for medicinal purposes and or recreational use at the age of 21 or older.

I think it should be. Beer used to be illegal after all, and look how much good that did. If people want to do stupid things, then I say let them.

[ March 20, 2003, 12:03: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 31 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Should Marajuana be legalized? (31 votes.)

Should Marajuana be legalized for medicinal purposes? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 77% (24)
    * No - 19% (6)
    * no opinion - 3% (1)

Should it be legalized for recreational use? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 42% (13)
    * No - 58% (18)
    * no opinion - 0% (0)

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

wow, your timing is hilarious. We're on the brink of a war, so LETS GET STONED! :hippy:

Just teasing you.

My wife & I debate this. She thinks it should be fine, as it is no worse than cigarrets or alcohal.

Me, I think there is enough vice in the world, but if they tax the pot instead of my income ... that would be worthwhile!

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I have thought a lot about this one -- and my answer is a definite maybe! On the one hand, I am opposed to recreational drug use of any sort, and I see the medicinal route as merely a "back door" for stoners. I certainly believe that drug use is wrong, and that it is harmful to society.

However, one must live in the real world. Police only have a certain number of man hours -- let's say 10,000 / month. How many man hours do I want put into enforcement on marijuana -related offences, knowing that each man hour that goes there is taken away from a murder case, a rape case, or an abduction case? That's where my concerns kick in. I'd rather see captured rapists and free potheads than captured potheads, and free rapists, if you get my drift.

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Even whenever it is potentially harmful for the masses of society? I cannot support anyone lobbying for the legalization of marijuana.

Last report I heard, it had no medicinal use. Besides, even if it did, it would become much easier for stoners to get it.

Depaara, you present the only legitimate argument for it that I have ever seen with that police information. While I believe that our law-enforcement system is flawed, I'll save that argument for another time. Would I rather see a rapist/serial killer/child abuser get caught over a stoner? Yes. That does not make marijuana any less of a crime, however.

5. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] It would probably already be legal....

... but Marajuana Users tend to forget to vote.

:)

6. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I think that it should be leglized for medicinal purposes becase it can help numb pain. But it shouldn't be legalized for recreational use, too many people would die

7. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

Granted that marajuana is a bad( and stupid) thing. But America is, after all, supposed to be all about "freedom of choice" and such. So as I said before, I think idiots like that should have a legal right to ruin their lives(smoke pot all the time) if they wish to do so, it's their problem.

I voted NO for medicinal purposes, mostly just becuase I thing doctors already have enough drugs to use on their patients for "numbing" and all that. So I don't think they need to get everyone high on marajuana. Please do not be offended if you have different opinions or anything. I don't want to start a fight or anything. lol

8. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Agreed. Darwin's Laws should not be put into play.

9. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

It has been PROVEN to reduce the nausia and severe weight loss that is associated with chemotherapy.

It also is a cure for glaucoma, an ailment that millions of people suffer from (my grandmother included.

It's hard for me to understand how someone could be for recreational use, and against medical use. Perhaps you should better educate yourself on the subject. I know I should

[Fixed your quote. The content of the quote must be enclosed with the starting and ending quote tag.] -Tal

[ March 20, 2003, 12:02: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Kovalis, the problem with your argument that says "let them do whatever" is the cost to the rest of us. Even if you have a completely capitalist health care system, these people would still be logjamming it, taking medicinal resources away from others once they've burned out their synapses, fallen down a flight of stairs, or otherwise screwed up their health. just like the police I mentioned, doctors and other medical personnel only have a limited number of man hours available to them. You add in an even marginally compassionate system like Medicare or something, and you've got the taxpayer supporting the habit. It's bad enough that we do it for tobacco smokers, why start doing it for a lot of dopeheads? (As opposed to the few we do it for now.)

I guess what I'm saying is that there IS an effect on society; it is not just an action that hurts the user only.

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Drugs are bad mmkay, you shouldn't do drugs, cause drugs are bad mmkay :D

12. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Let them do it. Lots of people screw their lives with booze and smoke, so why not with pot?
    And yes, I would like to see a captured rapist and a free pothead, not vice versa.

13. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

Very interesting, the recreational use was very close... in fact, they are both exactly the same!

14. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think it is fine for medical use as long as it is closely regulated (alot of potential for abuse). As for recreational use, I do not believe it should be legalized but possession (small amounts with no intent to sell) should be nothing more than a misdemeanor. Currently 40% of people in our prisons are there for nothing more than pot possession. It is an massive waste of our resources and it should only be a fine. Drug dealing should still be enforced as the same. My 2 cents anyway.

15. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Okay, you cannot abuse weed (I know :) ) You just get high. You can also focus when you want to (it kinda goes away then comes back when you don't expect it). Anyway, the answer to the question is NO! they should keep it illegal, and bust more farms and bust more dealers for one reason (no, not to keep them off the street)... to make it more of a luxery. If weed costs 10-20$ a gram (I live in Canada, so I don't know how much it costs in the states or anywhere else. It costs $5 a gram here), people would tend to use it less since you can't techniacally get addicted to it, just the effects (meaning you won't go insane if you don't have a hoot). Also, if they legalize it and corporations start mass producing it, the quality will go way down because they'll start pumping chemicals and **** into it. So, yeah (and by the way, I'm not a pothead or a stoner, but I have done it a few times).

16. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Hmm, that was... interesting.

17. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

One could always make the argument that we shouldn't have laws that we can't enforce. But as soon as we legalize pot all the stoners will say we have a double standard, and ask for legalization of crack and heroine for medical purposes ;) .

Oh, since we're on the topic of drugs, I remember seeing this story on Free Speech TV(a commu-liberal station they play on our satellite) about some 18 year old high school kid in Michigan who was sentenced to life imprisonment for selling heroine. Life! Just seems absurd to me...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.