1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: Real Life Training

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mathetais, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] This is a spin-off from Egg's "Inner Geek Post".

Seemed that many of us are "RPG Geeks" who work out.

My question is: What are you doing for real life training? How are you increasing your core stats (Str, Int, Wis, Dex, Con, Char)?

If you have any related links that will be helpful to the Forum, please include them.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

As said in the Inner Geek thread, I lift wheights to increase my strength stats. Maybe a bit to increase charisma as well? ;)

3. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Ok, I'm spending quite a long time trying to increase strenght and dexterity, the problem being my body is so stiff, I would make Pinoccio envious! :) (No sexual pun!)

As I'm working with delivering newspapers, as they fit in with school and sports, and have physical trainament about six times a week, 4 times gym - 3 times ball practice - rest on saturdays, I'm actually decreasing my constitution, because my body is left in a permanent state of physical exhaustion.

And as I'm studiyng in a business school, I think I'm working to increase both intelligence and wisdom. Atleast I hope, because it often feels like a big waste of time. :D

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Since this is my post, I guess I should put-up or shut-up :D

I get up at 5 am everyday and work out at Powerhouse Gym (right across the street from where I work).

I've just enlisted a trainer who is working on a program for me. My goal is to get to 10% body fat and to get my bench over 315 lbs.

Currently I deadlift approx. 300, squat 400-500 (depending on the week) and bench only 240.

Cardio is boring as hell, but I take a SF book and get on the bike or step-master at least 3x week.

My workout split right now:

Mon/Thurs: Chest & Bi's
    Tues/Fri: Back & Tri's
    Weds: Legs

Mentally - I already have a masters degree, but am working in a low-brain job, so it's a struggle. My Intelligence & Wisdom are on a slow decline!

Best Link I've found is www.asimba.com They will actually set up workouts for you, and e-mail you your routine daily.

5. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I used to compete as a bodybuilder. You can see a photo on my link from the "inner geek" thread. That was for the Mr Teenage Chicago, I placed second in the heavyweight div. weighing in at just under 200 lbs. I just work out regularly now, nothing very intense. I squatted 600x2, deadlifted 455x3, and benched 335x3 when I was real serious. Now, I just work out at about %80 of my max at the absolute most. I don't have the kind of time I used to and I'm not as involved in the "culture"-none of my friends work out, so the motivation isn't as strong, and I'm older and it does change things a bit.
    As for the other stats, well CHA is nturally high (heh), and as for WIS and INT, BA in Philosophy, M.ed. and on the way to law school.

6. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

this is interesting...I never thought I would get to know anyones work out schedule. Anyway, I Play CRPG's to increase INT...and drink beer to increase STR CHA and WIS but that lowers DEX and INT(hahaha)

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

GONMAR;

Actually, drinking beer will increase INT & WIS too!

From the old Cheers TV Show:

Well ya see Norm, it's like this...A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest
    buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest member.

"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

8. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Pretty Good...
    So I guess I'm working on my INT more than I thought. The WIS increase comes the next morning. Oh yeah, It would increase the CHA of others.

9. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I don't. Everyone knows that stats are fixed and unalterable from character creation :). As I have exams in a month I really ought to work on my INT, but I can't be bothered.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I'm pretty bad in STR. I don't like weight-lifting. I quit soccer nearly 2 years ago and stopped Jiu-Jitsu a year ago. I'm in bad shape. I dunno about my CON. but it must be average or not too good bec. I haven't been exercising. As for DEX. I've always been pretty swift,lithe and accurate so I'm still pretty good there. In INT. I'd like to say I consider myself as one of the people on top of the food chain ;) as for WIS. it comes with age so I'll let that take care of itself ;)

11. herf Guest

ive done this before but what the hell-

monday-
    7.00- 200reps with 5kilogram weights for each arm + stretches + 100 situps
    6.15- boxing, warm ups, bags, sparring, weight training, skipping, ground work, chin ups, rowing machines, running machines, cycling machines until 9.15
    10.00- 200reps with 5kilogram weights for each arm + stretches + 100 situps
    tuesday-
    6.00- 200reps with 5kilogram weights for each arm + stretches + 100 situps

wednesday-
    4.30- cross country training, 8 minutes a mile for 6 miles then 10 minutes a mile for another 5 miles

thursday-
    2.00- swimming + rugby for two hours

friday-
    2.00- p.e., weights + basketball
    6.15- boxing, warm ups, bags, sparring, weight training, skipping, ground work, chin ups, rowing machines, running machines, cycling machines until 9.15

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Wow Herf, what are you training for? You must be very lean and quick. This looks like a marathon runner's off-season routine.

13. He's a boxer.

Woohoo, 200 posts!

Bloody taken me long enough :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.