1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Please, make your voice heard

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Takara, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Ok, this is going to regard a topic that many of you will ignore straight away. But please, dont just ignore this, as your opinion is important here.

This relates to the Alleys, and the people I am most interested to hear from are those that dont go in there that often, if at all.

Now some may argue that what is the point on hearing from these people if they dont go in there? Well, I'm one of these people, but I want to go in there. The reason I dont is that I feel that the Alley is too aggressive, and that respect for others has been lost, or always lacking. I have had times when I've felt like complaining, but when I wasnt here that long the question was: to whom?

The old mods do a great job, but to someone who's a newbie, they might seem too 'removed'. The new mods are also great. as they are used to the cut and thrust of the alley. However, there isnt someone there who sees the place as one who isnt too happy with bit in it's current format. Someone who is concerned with what goes on. Someone who the more cautious or timid can, not necessaril relate to, but feel they can bring up issues with.

So... I was thinking that there ought to be a 'people's choice' mod. Someone who those who dont really go for the alley know they cam turn to and raise their issues with. Someone who might very well feel like they do. Now, what they truely will be able to do is open for discussion, and most likely will end at: nothing the current mods cant do. However, there is more to it then rule enforcement. There is being a 'link' to the establishment for sp members. A pr guy perhaps.

As such I was thinking a people's mod should be chosen from among the people. Campaign, add your mandate, explain why it should be you.

Now all this is irrelevent if people think it's a bad idea or dont want it. So the poll is simple... good or bad?

Depending on the result will depend on what the next step is. If it is bad then there is no next step. If it is good then an election thread might be opened. Somewhere people can add their mandate and stuff, with a poll following shortly after to find out who the people want.

So, please, add your voice and explain what you think. Try to add what you like/dislike about the alley, and how you think it could be changed. And mostly add whether you think this might actually change your opinion, whatever it may be, on the place.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 31 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Please, make your voice heard (31 votes.)

Do ou think that having another mod, chosen by sp will help? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, it's a good idea that might help the Alleys. - 52% (16)
    * No, it's a bad idea that will only make things worse. - 48% (15)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Takara, I see you have put a lot of thought and effort into this post, but I'm not sure I understand what it is you are asking. Is there nobody amongst the current mods that you feel you could go to if you had an issue?

3. Takara

Media:
    Well, as a n00b, the original 3 mods were quite foreboding. The new mods are great for the alley, but they are quite active in there, and might be part of a problem at some point. I was thinking this might provide a more 'friendly' face, if possible, for people to go to.

To the new mods, dont think this is anything against you. I think you'll do a great job, but my thoughts here are for someone who isnt quite so... 'active and forceful' in the arguments that take place there.

4. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Tak, I want to know how your idea of running an election for a new op in #sorcerers, turned into this? :p :beer:

5. Takara

Media:
    Actually Sorvo, that idea came out of this one. At the time my own daft brand of humour fed that particualr idea.

6. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, I am whole-heartedly against this. Our mods are not "removed" from the masses -- they were selected FROM us -- and are exceptionally fair-minded and look out for the interest of us all.
    Our mods are certainly approachable -- they've been here at SP a very long time -- are pleasant and KNOWLEDGEABLE about the rules. I truly believe they try to make it better for all.

I'm sorry, but I have to say this. Were all those "Congratulations!!" "Great choice, Tal!" or "Congrats!! Couldn't have picked a better mod!!" comments for our mods, lies? It seems to me that many of us expressed our happiness quite profusely at the choice of mods lately. Did we not mean it? Do we feel that we cannot turn to these people or rely on them to be fair?---but yet we're happy they were chosen??

I'm sorry, but I don't see this at all. A PR guy?? Why do we need this? Or a link to the establishment?? I think we're all big boys and girls -- if we have an issue we can go directly to either Tal or any other mod here -- for heaven's sake -- the link to the establishment is the PM button! ;)

Imo, this is not a political arena here. It's a gaming site, with moderators who do an excellent job. Let's not turn it into something it isn't.

I know this wasn't your intent, but quite frankly, I think this whole suggestion flies in the face of every mod here -- and is quite insulting to them -- not an overt spoken insult, but one by inference.

[ February 17, 2005, 23:24: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] Personally, I'm not sure what this extra moderator would accomplish... the cut & thrust of "lively" debating in the AoDA & AoLS is what made me sign up! The fact that Tal, chev, Hacken et al contribute so much isn't really a negative; they're just more visible, that's all. Besides, Taluntain's always seemed quite approachable, even given he eviscerated one of Kelvon's posts the other day.

The Alleys are about those topics of conversation that everyone says should never be discussed at dinner parties: politics, religion, and (to some extent) sex. They're the kind of things that people can, and do, get worked up about. But anyone can, that's the point. But that's what makes them so great: they're far more interesting topics than you'd normally discuss in an average day. As long as you stick to the regs, there's no problem. Do you feel that forum-goers haven't been doing that en masse, but not picked up upon? Personally, I can't see that myself. I just don't see how the extra mod will make a positive difference, really.

[EDIT: Right on, Spellbound! The mods we've got are good, even if I don't agree with all their posts all of the time... Leave our Alleys alone, dammit!]

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

An interesting idea, but perhaps too little too late? I think any more than the three "Alley Mods" we have, plus our "usual suspects" would be soundly in the realm of overkill. I think (from my browsing and lurking in the darkened corners of the alleys) that the guys in now are doing a fine job. But there is such a thing as "too many chiefs, not enough indians..."

My two clam shells.

9. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't think it would help or make things worse. The Alleys are (usually) held to forum rules and those that break the rules are handled.
    The problems that I encounter in the Alleys are usually:
    * A lack of respect that does not violate forum rules
    * Being quoted out of context (or misquoted). Not a rule violation.
    * Being mislabeled. For example, I have been referred to as a "bushie" or pro-bush, just because I am conservative. Again, not a rule violation.
    * Poor debating.

I have also been the target (and poster) of some flagrant violations. The mods are usually on it pretty quickly. So I don't think an additional mod will help or hurt, as the forums are pretty well moderated already.

For the most part, I have stopped posting in the Alleys. It's kind of ironic, because I was one of the people that participated in many of the discussions that caused the AODA to be formed (out of Whatnots). I find the discussions there to be endlessly frustrating. And with the mental issues that I have (PTSD), I needed to eliminate anxiety causing stimuli. I see it as my problem, not the Alleys'.

Besides, I live in a world of grey, and the Alleys tend to be black or white.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Could not have said it better....bravo :thumb:

On the whole moderater issue I can be brief. I said before that I don't post in the alley because I feel communicating (very) serious issues in written form can never be the same, or come even close for that matter, as a face to face conversation and is prone on misunderstanding one another posts. But many here do take the privalige to discuss in the alley and that in my eyes is a good thing. But all I hear is nagging about how there cannot be a good discussion. I feel another moderater will not solve this problem. Solution lies in the posters not in the moderaters. Feel free to post, if you don't like the answers maybe this isn't the boards to post you thoughts. In my view it's THAT simple. Why debate serious issues with people who won't listen to you in the first place. Find a place where you can.

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm rather in disagreement. For one thing, a 'People's Choice' mod turns into a popularity contest. That in itself skews the whole reason why one should have moderator privileges, understanding of and compliance with the rules. Also, impartiality is critical.

Frankly, I never really saw myself as involved with the debates in the Alleys beyond my moderator capacity. I very rarely make substantive posts in the Alleys for 2 reasons:

1) I have to be sure I know what the hell I'm talking about before I chime in. You rarely see me participating in those Iraq war threads, if at all.

2) Sometimes I find it easier to moderate particularly heated threads in an impartial manner if I'm detached from the debate itself. This is not to say any other moderator here is impaired by participating in the discussions (looks in Tal's and BTA's directions ;) ), but its just something I impose on myself in an effort at doing my best.

The great majority of my posts there are along the lines of 'stay on topic' and 'quit sniping at each other', etc.

I'm not really sure what you see myself. Yeah, there's problems. But laws are never 100% successful. If that were true, we wouldn't need any cops or prosecutors or judges. The other thing was that Hacken Slash, Chandos, and dmc were selected from a cross-section of varying beliefs, so that posters of different persuasions could approach somebody who shared similar idealogies. Frankly, I'm a bit baffled.

EDIT: I'm not personally offended by what you've said. I'm just having a little trouble understanding, and offering my own take.

[ February 19, 2005, 00:35: Message edited by: Beren ]

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well - the best person to complain to about anything at all would be Tal - they're his rules, he knows them best, and thus he's the one most likely to make the most Sorcerer's Place-ish decision on them. And while he's a big and terribly intimidating figure and all - if you actually care enough about your complaint, then it shouldn't be too hard to write that PM...

13. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Spellbound gave us a taste of what Tak was talking about. Taking apart someone's post point by point may seen aggressive or disrespectful. Afterall it's rarely if ever seen on these boards, outside of the Alleys.
    But it's a way to ensure that the message comes across and in the right context. I guess all that finger pointing is troubling to those of us who are not regulars in the Alleys.
    There is nothing there that the original mods, or a new one for that matter, can do about.

I have found that the 'establishment' is pretty acceccible. PM Tal or Beren and the reply comes in by the time I log in again.
    I didnt' vote since you dont have a neutral option.

14. Takara

Media:
    My idea wasnt meant as a slight against any of the mods, old or new. When I was just a newbie here, I generally kept my head down and tried to go with the flow. I wouldnt complain about anything because I felt I should just accept the way things are. Now I've been here a bit, I've gotten to know and have talked to Tal, Beren, and have gotten to know some of the other's , at least their stance on matters.

The original three mods got more alley specific mods appointed because they are busy looking after the rest of the board they dont have the time to go through every post. I have been in private talks with them in the past, but that is from the benefit of getting to know them in #sorcerers.. The new mods are also good as they provide people with someone to go to who might represent their viewpoint. Dmc is central and Chandros and Hacken are from one of the polarised extremes.

As someone who doesnt post in the Alley anymore because I'm tired of getting 'almost' flamed for just opening my mouth I was thinking that having another mod from the center, someone like Beren who is not generally involved in the arguments there might help entice some back into the alleys. Dmc is and will do a great job in that regard, but I was thinking of getting some back up for the cenralists. Yes, it could turn into a popularity contest, but it would give people an opportunity to select someone they feel is needed. Candidates can say what side left/right/center they are and how involved in discussion they will be. That way people can select who they feel could plug any gaps. The reason for this poll to start was to find out if sp felt there were any gaps, and to gather the general mood towards the Alley. Particularly from those like Jack Funk and Apeman who dont really go in. I was hoping to find out why, and if anything might change that.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I still don't see how it would help having another mod there to be intimidated by. Part of the Alley experience is getting torn to shreds each time you open your mouth ... and people actually like that kind of stuff (apparently) - but it's not flaming generally. And if it is, there's now a host of new mods to pick up on it, or a complaint can be sent to someone.

And you seem to be somewhat saying that Beren fills this role anyway...

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There are now 6 moderators for those two forums, and I think that if people are still afraid or that they can't find a single moderator to complain to among the 6, having a 7th wouldn't make any difference. As far as I see it, those people who don't post in AoDA/AoLS don't not post there because the rules there wouldn't be upheld, but simply because they don't like the content of the discussions within, or the way discussions are performed. But there's nothing any of us can do to change either of those aspects.

We could start making drastic changes there, but I'm pretty sure the only result of that would be that not even the people who post there now would want to post any more, and those who already don't wouldn't suddenly start actively posting there either. Because it's not really even remotely as bad as some people seem to think it is; it's just a matter of convictions and impressions, and those can be wrong as often as right.

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    While I understand where Takara is coming from, I agree with Tal, that if 6 mods isn't enough, adding a 7th wouldn't really help. If you're looking for someone in the middle, you have Beren and dmc. And if you're looking for someone in the middle and who isn't an Alley regular, you have Beren. And seriously, if anyone thinks Beren isn't approachable, I'd like to hear why.

Takara, like I said, I know what you're saying, but personally, I think we can work with what we've got. And as I think about it, if we want the "tone" of the Alley to change, what better way to do accomplish that than by getting involved in the discussions? Keep you posts respectful, and if you get flames, take the high road and turn the other cheek. If enough people adopt this approach, things are bound to change eventually.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

speaking for myself, I usually don't post in the alleys because (we should have a blush smilie ;) ) the posts are just too long heh :hahaerr: I mean, I can read an occassional chev-sized post in the middle of a discussion but it gets to be too much like work when everyone posts that much :shake:

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, not all of them are like that really.

20. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

True, but the majority of which I have seen are. And I'm not saying its a bad thibg, by all means keep making your points and take as much room as you want but keeping up with such debates are much more time consuming than posting in the RB for example or most other topics.

I don't go there because it takes a lot of time or I'm too lazy to keep up with the debates. Its more a matter of people being interested in such things and posting them here than people being intimidated by the mods or those forums. Adding another mod won't make people go there if they don't already, most don't want or have the time to spend there. Which is the case with me, I'd rather do other things with my spare time than be involved in such debates, not that there's anything wrong with it but personally I like to do other stuff instead. Adding another mod won't make me more willing to go there. I may not speak for everyone, but this is my position on it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.