1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: on real magic

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dice, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    There are a lot of unexplained things in our world. Some things have scientific explanations and some don't. I concider myself a healthy skeptic with a liberal streak of believer. Too many strange things have happened to me for me to be otherwise.

My poll question is: Do you believe in real magic?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 34 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: on real magic (34 votes.)

Do you believe in real magic. (Choose 1)
    * Yes I believe in real magic - 18% (6)
    * No I don't believe in anything that can't be scientifically proven. - 44% (15)
    * I think magic is possible but I don't really believe it. - 21% (7)
    * I have a limited belief in magic. - 18% (6)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What do you define as "magic" then? Something that does not have a scientific explanation now? Or something that can never have a scientific explanation?

Hmm, and based on my above questions, I wonder how long before this becomes yet another religious debate and is moved to the AoDA?

3. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It was not my intention to start a religious debate with this question.

I guess I would define it as something that can never have a scientific explanation as we know science today.

Magic - you can define it as you like. I realize that might be a little vague but I think it is still answerable.

* EDIT * For a more complete definition explaining what I'm refering too see my other post further down this page.

[ September 20, 2005, 04:58: Message edited by: Dragonfly ]

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think there are plenty of things we don't understand but I don't think they should be called "magic" in the sense a sorcerer casting Melf's Acid Arrow.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I believe in spirits, but I am not sure what you mean by magic. Can you give me an example, as most people have different views on what magic is - e.g. science in pre-medieval times could be called 'magic'.

Or Wiccans call coincidence, magic, e.g. buring a blue candle during the summer solstice will bring wealth.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Wasn't there a thread in the AoDA along these lines not so long ago?

And I'm still debating this issue with myself - but am mostly leaning towards the view that magic does not exist. On the other hand, I'll keep my mind open, as I do know intelligent people who claim to have seen/used it or whatever - but until someone throws a magic missile at me I'm going to keep doubting strongly.

(and yes, since this topic came up last my opinions have changed quite a bit - they do that)

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm skeptical by default but I believe there have been prophets and saints healing or raising people, foreseeing the future etc as a gift from God. On the evil side, it's possible to consort with daemons etc. But just how many people on either side who claim it, really have it? No magic of the say a spell, wave your hand and frow fireballs around kind. ESP is or will be explicable by scientific means. It's not like we know everything about the human brain and mind already.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

weird, i 'm torn in two. i believe in an afterlife and a god (not really by choice though. i guess that's because i've been raised in a catholic family and catholic schools all my life and you tend to accept it as a given) even though i'm not religious. but i don't believe in ghosts, pixies and the like. so i guess my answer is: no, don't believe it.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

If magic includes: ghosts and spirits, ways to speak to 'other beings' (ouija boards and tarot cards) and mental abilities (telepathy, second sight, etc.), then yes, I believe.

I read tarot cards - my future doesn't look bright. I talk to spirits (my brother and the one in this house). I have a limited second sight - dreaming of things to come with triggers set so I know seconds before whatever it is happens. I know there's another 'side' after you die (having died and no, I didn't like it).

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have never, ever, not even once, seen anything remotely magical, mystical or psychic. I don't believe in ghosts, goblins, leprecaun, or gremlins. Elves are right out. I've never seen any evidence of a supernatural figure -- good or evil. I believe people do what they want to and blame non-existant entities when things do go as planned.

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

In the Irish tales of the Leprechaun, he is unanimously perceived as sly and malicious and definitely not to be trusted by a mortal.

The 'Hollywood' notion of the good-tempered innocuous 'wee-man' as portrayed in films such as 'Darby O' Gill and the Little People', is NOT how the Leprechaun is perceived traditionally.

Visit Ireland, Scotland or any other Celtic country, and you will see how 'magical' various lands are :D

12. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I believe the human brain is capable of many things...

but predominantly of self-deception.

13. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Practicing esper. :alien: It took about a decade of deep meditations (starting at 8), but I can move things with my mind every once in a while.

EDIT: :shame: Hey, I'm serious. It takes a heck of a lot of concentration, but it's doable. I'm still working on telepathy, but I doubt I'll be able to pull it off in my lifetime. :(

[ September 19, 2005, 18:57: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

14. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Yep, same as I. Normally, I don't stop with small things and go for moving worlds and mountains instead. The solar system is a fine example of my superior esp-ship, right. I do like employing my x-ray-vision better, though ;) .

Needless to say: I just believe in the magic of my looks and wits. Nothing more.

15. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Agreed upon.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I'm a literal christian, so, in a sense, yes, I do believe in magic, but it is the deception/power of Satan and demons and is a VERY bad thing mostly seen in third-world nations. Somehow, I doubt this is what you were asking about.

17. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I want to believe.

18. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i do not believe in magic, i believe that most people who place faith in magic often have more of a lack of understanding. im not oging to proclaim that everything can be explained through science and if it cant then the claim must be bogus, but i will believe that there will always be a limit to human understanding.

if we took many of todays gadgets back to the past and showed them 'young' man, then he will believe that what he has seen is magic, likewise we are probably in the same situation now, we dont understand it.... so it must be magic

19. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I do not know where I stand with this either... I opted for the fourth option. I've experienced and heard of things that I cannot explain, and I think there are things we can influence and/or perceive that are beyond our known senses.

But it might also all be in my head.
    Thus, I've decided to believe, but I'm not sure I'm correct in doing this... strange stuff.

@Felinoid: I'm not passing a judgement either way, but you have to expect some serious scepticism when claiming to be able to perform 'magical' acts like that - especially in a place where you won't be able to prove anything like on the internet.

:borg:

20. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Right now, the greatest scientific minds in the world say that there is no such thing as magic.

@ Shoshino -
    Once, the greatest scientific minds in the world thought it was flat, and that the sun rotated around it.

So really, are you so small minded that you're going to say that there isn't just a tiny possibility of magic exsting in some form or another? We've been wrong about so many things before, so why not this too?

Anyway, that's my 2 cents... Enjoy!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.