1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Odd poll about replying to topics

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by casey, Jan 3, 2004.

1. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I was reading over some threads a while ago and it occured to me that sometimes when people reply all the seem to do is read the thread title and maybe some of the original post and then proceed to say whatever crap comes to their heads first.

Really I'm not *****ing about this just for the sake of it and I have been guilty of this myself-nobody is perfect-but this does seem to happen quite a lot sometimes, and I thought I'd do this poll here to find out how many people can actually bother reading a full topic before replying or not.

[ January 03, 2004, 11:05: Message edited by: Beren ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 59 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: odd poll about replying to topics (59 votes.)

how often you read a full topic before you reply (Choose 1)
    * Always - 39% (23)
    * whenever I have the time to spare - 12% (7)
    * depends on what it is and if it's too long or not - 41% (24)
    * only if I'm interested in the topic - 8% (5)
    * sometimes - 0% (0)

2. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

[​IMG] You forgot one option that some (not me) might want to take: Never.

3. Hugo Gems: 15/31

This is an amusing poll
    *claps hands and smiles*
    So how often do you
    Me took the third option

4. casey Gems: 15/31

Meatdog: well according to the poll everyone reads sometimes and I think you would at times yourself :) anyway this may give people a better idea of what to type in future posts as in, is it too long? is it descriptive enough is the opening interesting enough to get attention?

So I'm just adding my two cents to anyone that bothers reading this ;)

Edit: sorry meatdwag I didn't mean to accuse you I didn't see what you put in brackets.

5. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

For your information I'm amongst the nice people that took answer one. :holy: :angel:

BTW, "slightly" :yot: but you should definitely take some typing courses/exercises or I'm afraid Tal's going to redecorate you again. :lol: :p :D :grin: :shake: (I'm sure you know what I mean.)

6. Deira[Neia] Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I usually (but not always) read all the posts because that way I can get a better view of the subject itself and it is nice to the person who started the topic.

And: [ :yot: ] I really hope someone understood what I said(my english S***S).... :rolleyes:

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I always do now. When I first joined I only used to read a couple of posts, or just the shorter ones so I got the gist of the topic.

8. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

@ Deira
    It's not only nice to the person starting the topic but also to the people replying.
    BTW your english was quite clear to me.

@ 8people
    I must admit that when you just join the messag boards the available information is gigantic to take in, especially the topics that are already going on for awhile. This can be decouraging and give you the impression that you're doing nothing but reading without time to post your own replies. But it is worth the effort I think, although it requires alot of discipline in the beginning but after a couple of visits it becomes easier since you just have to read the new topics (short) or the last posts from the already existing threads since you already read the rest of it in a previous visit.

Hmmm, this last response to 8people sounded alot like a motivational speech for newbies to take the time to become familiar with the boards. :( Sorry for this.

9. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Meatdog, its posts like ^that^ i think we dont read :lol:

10. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Meh, sometimes. And I think we had one of these type of polls a few months ago.

11. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I certainly hope that at least the person who creates a thread reads all the replies.

Except Random Babbling of course.

12. casey Gems: 15/31

@ meatdog: about my spelling, I take english and spelling tests from time to time and usually do a lot better but for me I think it's more a psycological thing, instead of seeing what's really there I see what I know should be there, well that and the fact I don't always proof read very throughly ;)

13. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Casey, the answer is simple. Simply reply to the posts oddly. Thats all.

That is what you meant, right? I didn't read all of it. Just the title line and some of the original post.

14. casey Gems: 15/31

[​IMG] You are joking right? I can't really tell I didn't read your post fully I just skimed through it and picked out words like "oddly" and "original posts". And isn't this that Sorcerers Sundries forum? anything goes that's to do with SP, right?

As for myself I nearly alway's read the entire thread except in the named exceptions and if I'm in a hurry to do something.

[ January 05, 2004, 02:24: Message edited by: casey ]

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I answered #3, although length doen't really enter into it. I'll read all the posts if it's important in order to make a (hopefully) reasonable response, or so as not to repeat a previous answer (such as in answering a question in the gaming forums). Some threads, however, don't require all the responses to be read - ones like this, for example, and of course Random Babble.

16. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

17. casey Gems: 15/31

Either SP was more active last year or that poll has been colecting the occasional vote after the initail 40-50 or so. (like one a week)

18. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I usuallt try to find the time to read the whole thread as I consider it courtesy to the one who started the thread as well as those who reply, but sometimes (especially with my limited-time access) it gets difficult so I read as much as I can to get the flow of conversation before deciding if I can really contribute to the topic. Though, admittedly, I do sometimes end up just rambling when I lose my train of thought.

19. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It was more active in the BG 1 and 2 game forums for sure.
    And IWD 1 looks almost dead now.
    I'll try to fix that soon. ;)

20. keldor Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think you should have included the options 'mostly' and 'rarely' as well as 'never'. I would have felt able to take part in the poll then! [Mostly would have been my answer] :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.