1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Longwinded replies

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Dice, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've noticed that on occasion people have a lot to say in regard to particular topics. What I'm curious about is the patience of the readers of these posts. How often do you read THE FULL POSTS when they carry on for more than a paragraph or two?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 42 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Longwinded replies (42 votes.)

Longwinded replies (Choose 1)
    * I almost never read longwinded posts - 10% (4)
    * I will read parts or skim really long posts to get the gist - 12% (5)
    * I will occasionally read really long posts if the topic interests me - 48% (20)
    * I will read almost everything in a thread if I find it interesting - 29% (12)
    * If the post is longer than a paragraph or two I won't read it - 2% (1)

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Wait, what did you say about Chev?

3. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually I didn't intend to single out anyone with this question. I was thinking more about some of the really long responses in the Dangerous Angles forum when people get on about politics and stuff. I think I've probably written a few lengthy responses myself.

4. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Yeah, no. I hardly ever read the full responses in The Alley, because I never go there. Too many people wrapped up in their own opinion. I will usually read the full post if it's written by someone I talk to or respond to often, or well known around the place. Never Chev though. Too much spam, not enough substance.

5. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Long replies are boring(If they contain dialogue or come from the CS, they're OK). End of discussion.

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

If I'm bored I might wander into the Alley to look at some of the things, but other than that I don't tend to read long posts. I can't stand the constant long posts in CS, but once again read if I'm bored (or once of twice if asked).
    But then the same usualy goes if a topic is grown large before I have had a chance to repsond, just don't, unless (yet again) if I'm really bored.

7. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

If I find a tread that I want to post on, then I will try to read the whole thing.

Even if chev has added a few of his more "lengthly" posts. :p

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I admit, I often skip if I am not THAT intereseted in the topic, or if I am very familiar with the poster's view on things.

Then again, some long posts are just too good to pass up :)

9. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    i read all long posts in CS and whatnots, never go to the alley because some of the views of people and the information they put behind them make me feel small and insignifcant :(

10. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I didn't choose any of your responces in the vote becaue none of them apply to me. I will read everything in a thread if I find it interesting, and will never ever post unless I have read everything else that has allready been written (unless my browser has not refreshed yet).

This said, those that I will read are either the majority from AoDA (not all, and not the ones since before I joined of course), the majority of the new editions to CS, but again, not all, those from the gaming forums or booktalk of which I am currently involved or sound humourous, and selected few fom sorcerous sundries, Whatnots (I no longer bother with the Random Babbling), and perhaps the miscellaneous game-realted topics (Dungeons and Dragons for instance). I never skip; if I get disinterested, I will simply cease and desist. I did not realize so many people did this.

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I especially enjoy when someone, who doesn't bother reading any of the other posters' views, posts his/her "divine" words of wisdom and then leave the thread for good. Ignorance is a virtue right? :shake:

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Like Manus, I didn't vote, for the same reasons he and others have cited. If the topic interests me, and I have the time, I will read all the posts. Otherwise, I'll ignore the whole thread.

Actually, for me, the time factor is a big reason since I do most of my visits when I'm at work, and I don't want to spend half my time at SP.

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    *cough* chevalier *cough*

:p ;) :D

I'll read the entire post if it's a topic I'm actually involved in, or if someone responds to me directly (with the "@" thingy). In many cases, it depends on the writer. Those who tend to have a penchant for ranting for 20 miles to make a point that could've easily and clearly been made in 2 paragraphs, I generally gloss over. There are exceptions, though - like if the first few lines of a really long post capture my interest, I usually give it a chance.

Also - when people post entire articles from other sites to prove their point for them, rather than displaying the paragraph or so that actually gets the job done and then providing a link for the rest, I tend to scroll right on through those. I noticed a while back that some of my own posts followed this pattern, and have since made it a point to be short and sweet as often as possible.

14. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Let's not single out anybody in particular, shall we?

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Aw, I've teased chev about this before. He knows he's my special boy. */me gives chev a noogie*

Besides, I was referring to him alone in my first line only. The rest of my post refers to several people, actually. Myself included.

16. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I read all the posts before me 'couse i really dont want to come out a fool in the end stating something someone else did before.
    But i dont get in the Alley much, so i usually dont see astronomous posts. :)

BTW, you could've added an option of reading all long posts you come across ;)

17. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I usually read lenghty replies only when the matter really interests me, which is to say; not very often. That is why my own replies are often short. :D

So, "short" is better than "long" in this, one case. ;)

18. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

The only posts that I read are my own. Those, I read over and over and over and over....

Actually, I try to read everything, especially in AoDA. If I am going to look like a total idiot, I would rather have it occur on my own merits, rather than from neglect.

19. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I try to read everything in a thread but sometimes, I only get to skim through before I reply. Sometimes though, I don't even get that much done and may occasionally look the fool.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Like Manus, I either read everything or don't reply at all. In fact I even prefer longer replies as they show that someone takes the subject and other people seriously, that he really has something to say and is ready to back it with arguments, proofs, some logic.

When I have little time, I sometimes skim through posts in search of something interesting. But before I reply to someone, I read his posts in full in whole thread and trace his line of argument. It's a matter of basic respect. Too many people ask questions answered a post or two ago or draw conclusions mutually exclusive with part of the text they're concluding. Then the same thing is talked over and over again and half the thread becomes explanations, examples, quotes, references to previous posts and the like.

If people were paying more attention, discussions could be more meaningful and going even quite swiftly. Also there would be much less lenghy replies as there wouldn't be any need to repeat twice over or make misinterpretation-proof posts. At least reading something in full before replying to or asking questions about it is a good idea.

I guess short attention span might be a problem here, but then no one is forced to participate in a thread.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.