1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How much would you pay for the optional adless SP subscription?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Make sure to thoroughly read all the text here before voting.

With the upcoming SP redesign, people will be able to subscribe to SP on a monthly/yearly basis, where the subscription fee will remove either only the pop-up ads from all pages of SP and BoM, either only the side banners (the new design will have a side skyscraper ad), or all regular ads (top+side) and pop-ups completely. (As the subscriber chooses - but every subscription entitles a subscriber to full removal of all ads.)

For those who will not subscribe, all SP content and the boards will still be freely accessible with the ads & pop-ups as they are now.

The subscription, either for a single month or the whole year will entitle everyone to an avatar/portrait + title here on the boards, if they don't have one yet. If they do, they will be able to change them.

Subscriptions will work like this:

monthly fee × 10 = yearly fee

So if you vote for the monthly fee of $3, this would make the yearly subscription $30. Yearly subscription would have to be paid in advance for the whole year.

Again, this will be an OPTIONAL feature for those who want to help me pay the bills for SP on a regular basis, and also get as much out of it as possible.

I have made this topic into a poll for a specific reason: those of you who don't want to say openly how much you would be willing to pay for this can simply just vote anonymously, though there is no need to as I won't think any less of you if you say $1 or $5. I simply want to determine how much people would be willing to pay for these benefits.

Finally, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, those of you who have no intent whatsoever to ever subscribe to adless SP, PLEASE DO NOT VOTE IN THIS POLL. That would only corrupt the middle value that I am trying to determine for those who are interested in subscribing. However, if curiosity is killing you, but you have no intention of ever subscribing either, vote for the "just want to see the results" option.

The results will be published here after I close this poll.

Please be realistic when you vote - think about the advantages, how much this would help me in keeping SP up and running, and how much you would actually be willing to part with for this. For any explanations feel free to PM me or ask here. Naturally, all members of the SP team and those who do any work for me will be given adless access by default.

SP's server hosting costs alone are $140 every month. I get about $90 to pay that bill from the pop-ups and Amazon commissions, but I depend entirely on donations for the rest. (And donations are sparse at best.) So even a relatively small subscriber base could help me to at least be able to sleep soundly at night knowing that the server hosting costs will be covered and that the server won't be unplugged in the morning.

Thank you.

[ June 18, 2003, 00:11: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 65 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: How much would you pay for the optional adless SP subscription? (65 votes.)

How much would you pay for the optional adless SP subscription? (Choose 1)
    * $5 month / $50 year - 18% (12)
    * $4 month / $40 year - 8% (5)
    * $3 month / $30 year - 28% (18)
    * $2 month / $20 year - 22% (14)
    * $1 month / $10 year - 6% (4)
    * Just want to see the results - 18% (12)

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tal, have you considered offering a one-time fee for this as well? Say some multiple of the annual fee? I realize that one of the downsides of this is that you may get a lot of "up front" money and then not much on a monthly or annual basis, but it may be worth considering.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah, hm... Well, if anyone approaches me about that we could handle it individally I guess. I'll have to think about this lifetime subscription idea. But I don't know how many candidates there would be. The price would have to be relatively high.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Edit - deleted comment. It looks like Tal changed his reply.

[Yea, sorry about that, I misread.] -Tal

[ June 18, 2003, 02:05: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

5. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I will pay whatever Tal thinks is fair. I don't care so much about the ads, but a subscription is an easy way to make sure that i'm helping S.P.

6. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Do I get to waive this fee?

[ June 18, 2003, 20:17: Message edited by: Sorvo ]

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

The adds don't really bother me much. But saying that it would be great to help SP. Although I think it might be better to pay a "life time membership". Just saves the troble (for me) of sending money every month. But I would gladdly pay (ashuming I could afford it that is).

8. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] As I wrote in my post, there would also be a yearly fee. However if for some reason you would want to pay every month, PayPal can be conveniently set up to automatically bill you every month.

And Sorvo, yes, if you wish.

9. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I read in that topic about pop-ups that if you subscribe, you get an avatar.

Since my family is very against signing up to anything on the internet, ESPECIALLY stuff that costs cash, it seems everybody is going to get an avatar except me and reepnorp. :(

Fudge. Oh well, unless pop-ups are programmed to open more pop-ups when you close them, they don't annoy me too much...

And I suppose it will let me continue my slow but sure quest for the rogue stone.

10. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] $5.00 = £2.97918

Now come on, just 3 pounds to keep this place up and running, as well as enhancing your own Sorcerer's experience to boot. Who wouldn't do that?

I voted $5. But anything up to a fiver (£5 = $8.39) would be ok. :)

11. Taluntain

Media:
    The Soul Forever Seeking, unless they control your wallet as well, you can just raise the subscription cash and send it to me via regular mail. I actually get most donations that way.

And Gopher, you get it for free anyway, so what are you voting for!

12. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Actually I would prefer to have ads, they're not that annoying and even on my 56k connection they download relatively quickly. The point that bothers me most is that gamespot said the same thing and now look at them most of the reviews are members only. A big difference from simply ad removal.

EDIT: spelling

[ June 21, 2003, 14:37: Message edited by: rastilin ]

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, you can be sure that will never happen on SP because I couldn't charge anything for most of the content on the site because I'm not its author. So forget the idea of SP becoming a pay site.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Uhhh...what happened to November and December?

Anyways, count me in as long as it doesn't go over $50 a year. :rolling:

15. Taluntain

Media:
    You get two months for free. That's your bonus for signing up for the whole year.

16. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] when does it start, I can't wait to get rid of these popups! ;)

17. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] By the end of next month if all goes according to plan. It will be one of the features of the new SP design.

18. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hmmm. I hadn't really thought of that. I turned 18 last month and I'm still getting used to my newfound powers - I mean freedom. I'm getting a summer job, so maybe...

Hmmmm....

I wonder what avatar would go well with my name...

[Edit]: Tal, that's a good idea, but I don't know the postal code for the Shores of Lethe. :D Also, I'd be paying in Canadian dollars, I hope that's okay. I don't even know what country you're in.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  20. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Sounds like a good idea, but, always a "but", regreatable, I live in Argentina, a country where the economy is not so good; I earn about 600$ (that's 250 U$S, more or less) which I spend almost everything in food and tax, this is a very expensive country, the prices went higher and higher but the salary stayed the same for about 2 years. Anyway, I could pay, let's say, U$S 5, but I believe that could be almost imposible to pay for a year, it is hard for me to get so much money together in just one payment.
    (sorry the spelling, english is not my languaje)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.