1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Greatest American Top 5 Finals

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The results are in! Not only from our poll, but from the nationwide poll. As promised, we have narrowed it down to the top 5, and then we'll take another vote where you can choose only one. There are two sets of questions on this poll - one for what Americans have chosen as their top five and one for what SPers have chosen as there top 5. (Three choices are common to both polls.) So without further ado, onto the Top 5. I listed them once again in alphabetical order to avoid any personal bias.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 43 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Greatest American Top 5 Finals (43 votes.)

In U.S. voting, these are the top five: (Choose 1)
    * Benjamin Franklin - 21% (9)
    * Martin Luther King - 40% (17)
    * Abraham Lincoln - 21% (9)
    * Ronald Reagan (I wish I were kidding) - 5% (2)
    * Geroge Washington - 14% (6)

In SP voting, these are the top five: (Choose 1)
    * Thomas Edison - 26% (11)
    * Albert Einstein - 19% (8)
    * Martin Luther King - 26% (11)
    * Abraham Lincoln - 12% (5)
    * George Washington - 19% (8)

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    heh, geeks rule here at SP, at least so far...

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Martin Luther King all the way.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    George Washington. BTW, David McCulough has a new book out: 1776. It is mostly about Washington's early efforts in the war of revolution. I have not started it, so I can't comment on it yet. But I'm sure it's up to his usual standards.

I know Harbourboy will waiting for my review before he rushes right out to get it. :p

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Reagan? WTF? Who here was the one vote for Reagan? And nobody blame either, because it wasn't me...

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Chandos, a new David McCulough book!? I can't wait! But does it only cover the early efforts? I want to read about his later efforts as well.

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, knowing that you are a Washington fan, and that you voted for him as well, I will recommend James Flexner's book, Washington: The Indispensable Man, which in my opinion is a bit better than Joe Ellis' recent book on Washington. But you could buy both....

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Washington on both accounts for me.

9. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Mr M. L. King, on both for me.

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I read "His Excellency" by Joe Ellis a few months ago. A very good book! It gives a nice background to Washington and what his personal motivations were in the American Revolution.

I'm still always amazed that one of the greatest collection of individuals happened to be living in this one moment in time. I mean, think about the folks instrumental in bringing about the birth of America:

Tom Jefferson, John Adams, George Washington, Ben Franklin, Lafayette (Yes! The French gets props!), Thomas Paine, Alexander Hamilton, Patrick Henry, James Monroe, Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, John Dickinson, Benedict Arnold, John Paul Jones, Nathanial Greene, John Jay, Ethan Allen, John Quincy Adams, Benjamin Rush...I can't even remember them all!

All at one place in history at a pivotable moment. It always amazes me...

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You know, I think one thing that should be said is that all of those listed are great Americans, however, should we take into account their less than memorable events?

For example:

Reagan had the Iran-Contra scandal.

King had extramarital affairs.

Washington was a slave owner.

Do these things count to?

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Reagan had a lot more than the Iran-Contra scandal...

As for Washington he was doing something that was probably not considered immoral in his lifetime, but Reagan did many (considered) immortal things during his presidancy. Not that I am saying it was okay for Washington to be a slave owner of course.

13. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

These are all great men (Where are the women btw?), with perhaps one notable exception in Q1....

I voted for MLK. It is easier for me to relate to him as he's more recent, though I have read about all the others. (Except Reagan, I remember him well and I do so hard try to forget him!)

The pictures of the 'I have a dream' speach will always send shivers down my spine. What a man.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @ Viking - the highest ranked woman was Oprah Winfrey - ranked #9.

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Here's a few more - James Madison, John Hancock, Noah Webster, Aaron Burr, John Marshall, James Otis and Henry Knox. Truly amazing...

16. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Abe for both! I read the whole post this time. One vote per question. :D

17. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Where is George W. Bush???
    j/k

King and good ol' Albert.

18. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Most amusing, Reagan won the Nationals.

19. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Its amazing what being dead neutralizes your past atrocities! Gerry Adams for sainthood in 30 years time anyone?

20. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Chandos - I'm a decendant of Aaron Burr!!! I didn't want to toot my own horn! :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.