1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Giving up on D&D?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Aikanaro, May 15, 2004.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Does anyone else think that it's time that SP stopped covering only D&D games (seeing that the new ones are generally regarded as crap, with no obvious signs of improvement). I'm not exactly interested in seeing SP become a fanbase of RTS games, which is all the D&D I'm seeing in development at the moment.
    So, what do you people think? Is it time that SP pulled away from D&D and started covering a more general topic (such as RPGs, maybe)

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 33 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Giving up on D&D? (33 votes.)

Giving up on D&D? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! Move on to better things! - 33% (11)
    * No! Let SP stay a D&D website! - 45% (15)
    * I don't give a damn - 21% (7)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Problem is, where do you draw the line? Do MMORPGs count? If so, you're opening yourself to a whole new can of worms. There's lots of RPGs out there, how will the destinction be made of which to cover and which not to cover? Let the current userbase vote on which game to cover next?

I'm just airing the first thoughts that came to mind. Be it the thoughts of someone barely awake, but it's some :)

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, considering that no old areas can be closed, or will not be closed, it would bloat the forums quite a lot (which is bad). Thus far I have seen only forums with one, selected subject (like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc.) and, to me, it seems these are the only ones that have grown.

So, no; I don't think it's a good idea. /Me is already member on those gaming forums, so no need to make a "generalized" one. ;)

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I'm not talking about the BoM so much as the rest of SP, as opening forums for every RPG in existance is a stupid idea.

5. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I said yes, because I think there are some games out there that might merit inclusion. I've heard a lot about Knights of the old republic, for example. I dont think any old game should be included though. If it is naff, forget it.

6. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Maybe instead of focusing on the video game aspect of D&D, SP could instead cover more of the Pen and Paper game, at least until more good video games come out for D&D.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Actually, KotOR is a nice piece of D&D, even though it's simplified for increased Quakeability.

Heh, D&D is like women. Each time you give up on it, they publish something new.

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Also, I would not consider MMORPGs to be RPGs, but rather a seperate genre in themselves.
    And I do believe that SP's PnP section is lacking quite a bit. However, making PnP D&D the sole focus during this lack of computer games would be pointless. Replacing one thing in which nothing is happening with another...

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] KoTOR is not really D&D, hence it wasn't covered. d20 with lightsabres and the force somehow doesn't fit SP anyway.

However, and I marvel at this topic's timing, I just got here to announce that SP will be covering the new BioWare non-D&D RPG Dragon Age. In fact, the forum for it is going up in a few minutes...

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Hail Tal! In his infinite wisdom he has taken the next step into great greatness! Horrah!

11. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Good move Tal.
    But still, as they say, never change a winning team. Just stick with the RPG's, in this case D&D ones. It's commonly known that the new 'console' ones will lick balls compared to the o-so-good old-school D&D-games. Oh well...

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

One of the greatest attractions of SP for me, personally, has always been its D&D-ness...its my escape from all my 'Quake'r friends, who point fingers at me and laugh everytime I open my mouth about Baldurs Gate.

Changing that...it would be good for all the other people who want to discuss these newer games with other people here on SP and BoM...but personally...nah, keep it the way it is.

SP would just...lose something. Ah well, that's just me being sentimental... :o

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    SP will always be covering all D&D games, the question is only whether it should expand to cover occasional non-D&D CRPGs too. So no worries.

14. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Does arpg counts? You know, like Diablo, Divine Divinity, Sacred, Arx Fatalis, Morrowind...

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I'm doubting that SP will start covering anything and everything RPG. My bet would be just a few games when nothing interesting is happening on the D&D front (like now, for instance).

16. Taluntain

Media:
  17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Dragon Age is inherently tied with NWN and actually even the great BG. The same folks from BioWare, the same good style. The system they use has the races and classes we know and we also know that it's not the system that makes the game, at least so far as BioWare is concerned. Plus, the ruleset is bound to be similar to D&D. Therefore, there doesn't have to be a great difference. In fact, I would welcome such difference as it could be refreshing. This isn't true for semi-arcade RPG's or ones that look more like a first person shooter.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.