1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Gender Bender

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Dice, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was in a chatroom the other day and someone asked if I was female. The person (I will assume it is a he) mentioned how few gamers who play NWN are female. Which got me to thinking... I've been participating in a virtual world through a NWN server. At least half of the characters there are female. That doesn't seem to jive with the statistics I've been reading. The only logical explanation is that some of those 'ladies' aint no ladies.

So here is the question...and it is for both sexes.

How often do you RP characters that are not your gender?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 49 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Gender Bender (49 votes.)

How often do you play characters that are not your gender? (Choose 1)
    * I never play characters that are not my gender. - 29% (14)
    * I sometimes play characters that are not my gender. - 51% (25)
    * I usually play characters that are not my gender. - 18% (9)
    * I always play characters that are not my gender. - 2% (1)

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Most of the time. I play female characters for the same reason that the computer voices on Star Trek are female. (No, not because I'm married to the person who voiced it. :lol: ) Female voices are much more pleasing to listen to, and having a female voice coming out of a male character is just creepy. The female avatars are easier on the eyes, too.

As for the geeks online, I'd say it's probably about lesbian fantasies. :rolleyes: If I were playing online (IOW, one continuous story and no need to restart with a new character), I'd probably play it a lot closer to who I really am. If the game rules were different for each gender, I'd consider it. I can RP either gender about as well as the other, so I'd only change mine if there were some (perceived) numerical advantage to it.

So for me it boils down to:
    Short term - why not?
    Long term - why should I?

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I usually play female, since that's what I am. I've been playing one online game, Runescape, which I discovered is populated by 13 year old boys. My reasoning as to why males play females is for the cybering that happens when you make friends with someone. Because I play a girl, I get every PC hitting on me and asking me to be their 'g(irl)f(riend)'. When I say no, they get very uppity and call me nasty names. :rolleyes: Boy will be boys.

Female characters look different - more hair choices, armor looks, etc. I'll play male on occasion, but it depends on whether my gender choice has an effect on the game. Fallout 2 had some different outcomes depending on what gender you picked.

Sounds like Felinoid and I have more in common than I thought. :lol:

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It depends on the game. I probably play about 50/50 male/female. The little that I have played online I have played male. My user name would not indicate that I am female either. RPing here on SP I have 2 female and 3 male characters. I am comfortable playing either one.

5. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I usually tend to play female once a while only for the "change" of it all, and like Felinoid said, it pleases the eyes and ears.

6. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I always play male characters. It just makes it easier to relate to them.

7. blacklion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

not exactly gaming related (heck Dragonfly related her CHATROOM experience), but I once put up a Bloodrayne (http://www.bloodrayne2.com) avatar in my Yahoo Messenger. In 10 minutes, I've got random pervs (lost count...why bother?) asking me out for a date/cyber :eek: .

Got amused and traumatized at the same time. Never doing that ever again... :o

8. DreamingxAshley Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I only play females. If Im forced to play a male chara in a game, like Planescape, or something like that, then I loose interest... Ive tried RPing male charas before, and I just cant do it. I guess Im just too girly. hehe

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

For offline games, I sometimes play a female (one of my favourites was based on Arya Stark who grew up to become a katana wielding kensai a la Uma Thurman in Kill Bill) but I think that in an online game I would feel silly RP'ing as a female and would stick to my own gender.

10. DreamingxAshley Gems: 5/31

So, offline, when youre playing face to face with other people you dont feel silly playing a female, but online you do? O_o

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

By offline, I mean playing a single player game on my computer.

12. DreamingxAshley Gems: 5/31

Oh ok, that makes more sense. hehe

13. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

In RPG's I play male or female charcters depending on what the DM wants. Some Dm's I've played with only like you playing your gender (Male in my case) this is usually an indication of their attitudes.

Role-playing is just a form of acting and I can leave him/her in the game and become myself again.

The time it becomes strange is if a romance develops between charcters which has happened several times both straight and gay (male and female).

In cRPG's I tend to play about 50/50 mainly to see if different quests etc come up as a different sex.

14. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

In my case, it varies a bit. In pnp, the only female I played was because it was a Drow and I didn't want to be a male Drow. In solo crpgs, I tended to play females, because it was nicer to look at and listen to. However, if there's romances, I prefer to play my own gender. It's the only aspect in which I fail to rp the other gender, as I usually don't understand their taste. Online I've only played males.

15. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I play mostly male, but if I do play a female, I let my fellow RPers know early. Fair play and all that.

However, the NWN community I play with have at least 20% of all members to be females. If the DMs find out that someone is trying to decieve someone else, they are investigates and if they find the claims to be true, they are dealt with swiftly. They have no problems with someone who roleplays at the opposite genders, but liars are dealt with swiftly.

16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I play whatever I feel like playing :xx:

I've had girls hit on my male characters, guys hit on my guy characters, and a fair few other combinations.

It's not just guys who are like that, but there are a damn lot more guys online :lol:

One of my most notable conversations ooc was when someone commented on the lack of females who play games online, the three people in discussion were a guy playing a guy, a guy playing a girl and myself playing a guy. I commented I was female and both went on saying it was bad and wrong I was playing a male character. When pointed out that there was a guy playing a female in this conversation they replied
    "Yeah well, that's just more normal" :lol:

17. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i only play male pc's, dunno why.. playing a girl would just be weird..

oh and i am a guy

18. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I play both...doesn't really bother me, although I usually play male online and either offline (Single player).

19. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    In an online game i used to play, long long ago, I had played a male character only, and it was a normal MMORPG enviroment for me. I got PKed every so often, but on the whole it was normal.

One day, I decided to use my second character slot and start a female. Suddenly, everyone wanted to help me out with advice and give me money and items. Throughout my entire time playing her, I didn't get PKed atall.

I got all my equipment up to about level 15 free, and I didn't even have to cyber!

20. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Interesting results....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.