1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: From idolomania to adultery

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Mar 9, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    A recent survey has shown that about 50% women in Poland have sexual dreams about popular actors and TV journalists. Sometimes the journalist and not the news is the reason for watching a news service and a certain actor is much of the reason for watching a soap opera. Some of those women said that they would betray their husbands with those idols if given opportunity.

Don't know the figures for other parts of the world or for men, but I'm not really inclined to think it's just a local phenomenon or that it only applies to one gender.

So, I would like to ask your opinion on this. The whole spectrum of idolomania - from just admiring an actor (or actress) through beholding the celebrity hotties, then through dreams up to the actual desire to have sex with that idol.

Do you think it's harmless or are you worked up by the idea of your partner engaging in sexual fantasies about idols? Or do you mind if your partner closes his/her eyes during your intimate moments and imagines the favourite actor or other celebrity? Does the fact that it's an unreachable celebrity make it any different than if it were someone you know personally?

The poll is limited to the most extremal case, but let's consider the whole spectrum, as I said.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 38 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: From idolomania to adultery (38 votes.)

Being married (exclusive) with someone else, would you sleep with your idol? (Choose 1)
    * I am a MAN and I would sleep with my idol, given the opportunity, even if I were married or in exclusive relationship - 16% (6)
    * I am a WOMAN and I would sleep with my idol, given the opportunity, even if I were married or in exclusive relationship - 8% (3)
    * I am a MAN and I wouldn't sleep with an idol if I were married or in exclusive relationship - 68% (26)
    * I am a WOMAN and I wouldn't sleep with an idol if I were married or in exclusive relationship - 0% (0)
    * Give me the results, I don't want to vote. (If you don't understand the question, please close the window and PM me for explanation instead) - 8% (3)

Would you allow your partner to have a night of his/her life (sex) with an idol? (Choose 1)
    * I am a MAN and I would allow my wife (girlfriend) to have a one night stand with her idol - 21% (8)
    * I am a WOMAN and I would allow my husband (boyfriend) to have a one night stand with his idol - 5% (2)
    * I am a MAN and I would NOT allow my wife (girlfriend) to have a one night stand with her idol - 61% (23)
    * I am a WOMAN and I would NOT allow my husband (boyfriend) to have a one night stand with his idol - 0% (0)
    * Give me the results, I don't want to vote. (If you don't understand the question, please close the window and PM me for explanation instead) - 13% (5)

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    And the other 50% are lying. :D

Seriously, Chev, there is nothing new about this at all. 18th and 19th centuries it was the composers and stage actors. There's always been a fascination and it's pretty harmless.

My wife and I joke about the "free pass." The idea is that we each pick one person who, if they knocked on the door and said they wanted to have sex, we'd be all OK to say yes. My wife switches back and forth between the Rock and Johnny Depp. I have been on Halle Berry for a while. My wife said that if Halle Berry came to the door looking for sex, she gets to watch -- so I'd say that there isn't too much jealousy here. It's fun and games, nothing more.

If it gets to the point where there's stalking going on, then you have a different problem.

By the way, I answered that I would do it and would let my wife. Heck, I'd probably ask her if she wanted to join in. . . . :evil:

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This question is more interesting than I originally thought.

I answered no to both - mostly because I bet that most celebrities probably have serious ego and intimacy issues that would mean that a night with them would probably be pretty crappy anyway. I'd rather they just gave me some of their money in exchange for not taking advantage of them.

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I answered along the lines of DMC, except I probably wouldn't have sex with an idol if I was married unless the wife consented. As I'm not married, it's game on! Lindsey Lohan and Keira Knightley - together!

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Adultery is a big no-no for me. But right now? Sure.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

No way! Just because they are a celebrity or idol or whatever doesn't make them any different from Human Beings!!! Sex outside the relationship with Idols is the same as sex with anyone else!

No effing way!

7. Jathszu Khatharua Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Celebrity or not adultery is adultery.
    So NO to both.

8. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

No to #1, yes to wife sleeping with a celeb(I think that's #2). Like HB said, they'd probably be so shallow or whatever that it wouldn't be any fun. And I have an active imagination, so why not give Jennifer Garner or Cameron Diaz, or better yet both, the aspects I most value in a woman and leave it at that.

9. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I voted no on both. I'd like to think that I wouldn't betray my wife (when I find one) with anyone, nor would she betray me.

Even now while I am single, I hope I wouldn't , but I make no guarantees that I would be able to resist such an offer from say Trish Stratus...

If I was married and my wife did have an affair, I hope I would be able to forgive her, even if it did end the marriage...

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

sure, yes to both, you are only on the planet once

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would have gone off with an idol during my first marriage... but I couldn't do that to my wife now -- I guess there comes a time when a person finally says 'The pleasure just isn't worth the pain I'd cause.'

As far as my wife... I would not stop her, she's free to make her own choices. We probably wouldn't be married much long after that though. I guess if she didn't care enough about how I'd feel the relationship would be over anyway.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'm with dmc on this one. I think that's because this is completely a "hypothetically speaking" case. OK, my wife really, really likes Brad Pitt. Given the fact that the odds of Brad Pitt knocking on the door one day and asking my wife for sex are somewhere around a gazillion to one, there really isn't any harm in saying, "If it happens, go for it." And I think that's what most people say when they say they wouldn't have a problem with it. Giving consent or making an offer when you know the offer cannot possibly be fulfilled is really not making the offer at all. - If that makes any sense.

13. chevalier

Media:
    But I'm actually asking "what if". We are speaking a lot of a totally improbable possibility - does this alone not give a hint that something here may be more of an issue than it seems?

So, supposing you really come across an idol. Or your spouse does. One in a lifetime chance, totally unlikely chance coming true, whatever. Would you go for the chance if you were married? Would you allow your spouse such a one night stand? (spouse, steady exclusive partner, whoever it is you have)

Of course, there is hidden agenda in all my questions in this topic. It's just not the time yet to unveil it.

14. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

No to both, I've seen the way it f*cked my parents up. (This is of course allowing for the fact that she is her own person, I couln't exactly prevent it - but then again she wouldn't be my partner if she did it.)

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Chev

Actually, I did vote "no" to both questions - meaning that I wouldn't do it or approve of it. I'm just saying an explanation - such as the one offerred by dmc are more of a ruse than anything, because the odds of such an event occurring are so far-fetched that there's no harm in saying it's OK. You say a "once in a lifetime" chance. I agrue that the odds are far longer than that. The chance to have sex with ANY celebrity are extremely remote, so what are the odds that the specific celebrity whom you idolize come knocking one day? I'm not saying I approve, I'm just saying that for 99.999999999% of the people here, such a situation will never arise. So for me, the question holds about as much weight as "What would you do if the sun didn't rise tomorrow?" I don't think about it because I view the odds of such an occurance to be zero when rounded to 100 significant figures.

16. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I voted yes to both questions based on the 'once in a life time' scenario. Sure it's never going to happen but I love fantasy.

17. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Im with Tassadar on this, especially his choice in women :p

18. chevalier

Media:
    As T2Bruno, I wouldn't forbid it, but I wouldn't give a yes to it, so I voted yes. Might be, however, that even the question alone would be the end of it. And I wouldn't do that to a woman, myself. Not even if she told me I should (which would be a problem for the relationship). There is no "your/my favourite idol" exception.

Note: this is not my hidden agenda yet. ;)

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Meh - I have put off replying because there is no way I could give an in-depth explanation as to why - so I just say that I answered yes on both counts.

(Well I could give that explanation but it would probably be misunderstood and end up getting so complicated and/or inappropriate for the forums that I will not bother)

Edit: typos from Hell

[ March 11, 2005, 01:11: Message edited by: Arabwel ]

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

No on both counts - I take fidelity seriously, and can't see any difference when it comes to "idols". Joking about it is something different, and I can't see this being a real dilemma in many cases at all, but I think that you have to consider the feelings of your partner first & foremost. If saying you'd do it irks them, you ought to stop. I found it really annoying when my ex would do it, not because of jelously, but because she was so casual about it, as though not considering how I might actually feel. I guess that's part of the reason she's now 'ex'! :lol:

Also, is it worth risking a relationship for one night? It can't be if it's a good relationship, surely? Sex, with whoever, however great, is just sex, and a proper relationship is satisfying for so many more reasons as well as.

I'd also have concerns about being another 'notch' on a stars bed post - especially if I were a woman (I don't think men generally mind this as much). You might feel like you'd only slept with them because they were famous, and feel somewhat used afterwards, particularly if they didn't measure up to your imagined standards for them (take that however you wish! ;) )

Still, I think if you both know you're just kidding around, it's harmless enough. If you both don't have a problem with it, then where's the harm in this kind of day-dreaming? Mr. & Mrs. dmc seem happy enough. It's up to everyone to decide what they're comfortable with.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.