1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Fox Hunting

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Sarevok•, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

There were thousands of people in London today protesting about the ban on Fox Hunting. Do you think they should ban Fox Hunting in the UK?

I mean c'mon, you would have to be pretty sick to want to kill this guy right?

I would like to round up some of these foxhunters, strip them naked, scatter them around the countryside, release a pack of hungry lions on them, get on my horse and enjoy.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 25 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Fox Hunting (25 votes.)

Fox Hunting (Choose 1)
    * There is nothing wrong with Fox Hunting - 48% (12)
    * Ban it - 52% (13)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bah, they should be at work instead of strutting about protesting over something like this. Bunch of work-shy layabouts. :mad:

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think along teh same lines as you.

Although I don't at all condone fox hunting, i can see why the protest. It would cost many jobs, kennels, stables, clothes manufacturers etc.

But yeah, it should be banned. And their protests today were just laughable and won't help their cause one little bit.

Barbaric.

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I say ban it. I say ban all kinds of hunting, killing another for sport, it's barbarical.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Caleb

Does that include fishing?

Fox hunting is an English tradition. It is also quite a bit of industry. I say let the dogs loose and begin the hunt.

[ September 16, 2004, 03:31: Message edited by: The Great Snook ]

6. Register Gems: 29/31

Yup, fishing as well.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Uh, I go fishing sometimes and we always eat our catch... isn't that the point?

8. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I reaaaaaly don't give a "beeep" about foxes... Kill 'em all for all that I care!

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why do people think it is so awful to hunt a little red dog ? I am no fan of hunting for sport but if a fox hadnt been so cute people wouldnt care half as much. I dont see large number protests against the treatment and killing of pigs, and the amount of killed pigs and their treatment is many many times higher than a few snobs stressing a fox to death twice a year.

10. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Ahh, Joaquin, you are missing the point there.

This is NOT a ban on hunting foxes. That is a complete red herring. It is a ban on hunting with pack hounds, and letting the hounds kill the prey.

Why? Because it's pretty harsh to let a pack of dogs chase down and then rip appart the fox.

You'll still be allowed to kill foxes in just about any way you can think of.

11. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I'm an English Country lad, born and bred so I can't be critised for being a Townie who doesn't know anything about the facts. However I am most definitely anti-hunting.

1.) Historically, Britain has banned blood sports - Badger Baiting, Cock fighting, Dog fights, because they are cruel. Fox hunting only remains because its a bastion of the upper class W**kers. Yes other people will be affected by the ban, but if the hunters are in it for the pleasure of riding and chasing, rather than blood-lust then there is no reason why they can't change to drag-hunting.

2.) Fox hunting is currently justified by the Hunts saying it is necessary to keep fox numbers down. However they have also claimed in the past that they actually take very few foxes and a lot more are killed on the roads (this is true) Therefore their justification is a lie.

3.) The hunt ban is actually only to prevent people hunting with dogs, this is because the fox is ripped apart by the dogs and suffers a very cruel and painfull death.

4.) I have seen photo's of children being "blooded" on the hunt. This is where they take the foxes mangled corpse and wipe blood over the childrens face. Am I the only one who thinks this is sick?

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    As long as the population of foxes can support hunting, I say let them. There's all sorts of hunting in the U.S. Deer is the most common, but there's bear, turkey, moose, small game (like squirrels). Basically, you name it, we have hunting for it. Most of the hunting is relegated to certain times of year - usually the late fall. The reason for it is population control. Now that all the top level predators have been killed off (there's no wolves left in the eastern half of the U.S.) there's no means to control their population. If there was NO hunting a large percentage of the population would starve to death in the winter.

Now, as far as letting dogs rip apart the foxes, isn't that what happened for millions of years before man killed off top predators?

13. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

What about bull riding? (I don't know how that's in english); fishing like we have here? a competition where the one who catches the bigger one wins?
    I would ban everyone of them, but I think countries has their traditions, for some people killing a bull is fun, hunting a fox is fun, fishing for sport is fun; I go to fish from time to time, I eat them, not just kill them for nothing, if I'm against that, I shouldn't eat "cows".

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @Caleb: So you'd have the entire world become vegetarian, just because you don't like hunting? What will you be revoking permission for next, wearing wool because shearing sheep makes them too cold?

@Sarevok: I'm amazed that such a patriot as yourself could possibly be against something so quintessentially British as fox hunting. :rolleyes:

15. Register Gems: 29/31

Well, since I wasn't too serious, I would say that I wouldn't ban it. I would like for all people to become vegetarians themselves, not something I will have to force upon them.

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    SOme of you are missing the point.

If they just shot the fox in the head with a gun. Then OK. But no, they set the hounds on them who chase them down for miles until they simply have no breath left and then rip them limb from limb. It's the barbaricness of it that disgusts people. Not the actual killing of foxes. And thats whats getting banned.

17. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

What a stupid thing to say. I am no patriot anyway, just ask Morsmordre.

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    I think that was a bit tongue in cheek Saz.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Morsmordre is right when referring to the utter barbarism of fox-hunting. One of the other reasons I am against fox-hunting is that its advocates (as evidenced by the recent protest) appear to be a bunch of tossers. So I would vote against it, just to annoy them.

20. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hmmm, I'm a British citizen... maybe I should jump the ditch just to vote for the banning of hunting foxes with hounds (as it should be called).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.