1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: Favorite Quest/Location in BG2

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sylvus Moonbow, Nov 23, 2000.

1. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

So what is it, even if you haven't even finished the game. The most enjoyable quest or general location that has actually made you feel part of the game and made you forget you're sitting in front of a computer and why did it make you forget your surroundings?

Memorable instances for me in previous games would be in Baldur's Gate, when I arrived at the Friendly Arm Inn for the very first time. Lost, not knowing who I was and wondering about Gorion, the rain pelting my skin only to be attacked from the very shadows!

Icewind Dale, The Severed Hand. The music, the sounds, the very dark shadows, undead and the tale behind it made it my favorite place of all in that game.

Now for Baldur's Gate 2, out of what I have played (I've stopped to take a break after finishing Trademeet), I'd have to say exploring Waukeen's Promenade and meeting Aerie the way I did. (I needed a mage bad, killed some lady in a tavern and darted into the Circus Tent to get away from the guards) and voila. My mage.

Umar Hills though has been my favorite over all. I liked the small community and atmosphere they built when you arrived. The wonderment of what is going on, different views and aspects from each NPC you met. The Temple Ruins were a lot of fun and it wasn't as easy as some of the other areas I've explored (Trademeet for a prime example of dull)

Syl...

[This message has been edited by Sylvus Moonbow (edited November 23, 2000).]

2. Sorl Guest

[​IMG] I'm still in Chap 2.
    I liked the circus tent best. I was still pretty bruised and tired from Ironicus prison but feeling a kind of elated at the successful escape (was the game to be over that fast??) and thought what a nice place the tent might be. I liked the riddle (even though it took me 10 minutes to solve) and the rest of the quest. I got loaded with quests thereafter (not that I really mind), that I like to remember the time when life was simple and easy.

3. Sir Phapylon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Planar Sphere - Travelling to another plane, and to walk through all the rooms, strange atmosphere, resembling the one in Irenicus prison, sort of futuristic fantasy... and then watching the globe first depicting athakla and then the demon plane (?). And you knew that you were trapped... I really forgot that i had a life then....just played on... :)

4. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Until now, the quest I liked the most is the rescue of the DeArnise Keep. Very cool. But the best part is when I finished the quest and being the new Lord of the keep. Thats rock! Me, having my own fortress, my own servants, my own guards. Sound great to my ears.

ciao

5. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hmm.. I had alot of memorable moments. One that comes to mind is the conquering of Bhodie (sp?) I really got the feeling that she was an overconfident creature of the dark that held a low regard for all others. (Boy was she mistaken!) It was sort of eerie yet fun being in the crypt, overwhelmed by vampires, fighting alongside Drizzt. I had prepared for this battle and my monk was almost impervious to magic and level drain. I pretty much waded through the middle, leaving dead bloodsuckers in my wake as I closed in on Bhodie. Ahh victory is sweet!

6. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

Almost forgot....
    I know this is a bit unrelated, but there was another thread pertaining to NPC similarities to celeberties. Don't ya think that Nalia sort of resembles Drew Barrymoore? Even her voice is similar!

7. IronEagle Gems: 13/31

I dont really have a favorite quest, but my favorite place is the underdark, due to the fact they you can be as evil or as nice as you want and it doesnt matter, if you want you can slaughter a whole city, and if you want you can do 1 thing and leave not bothering with the drow at all. You can also do all the quests for maximum experience.

8. Mobeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Just started chapter 3, currently in the crypts going after the vampires, so I know there are lots of things to come. But so far there have been several memorable things come to mind.

Most memorable battle has been, by far, the twisted rune crowd behind the rogue stone portal. The Shadow and Red dragons were probably the more powerful single enemies, but the rune mob was just that--a mob. 4 or 5 mages/wizards, Vaxall, fiends and demons, all of after you at the same time. Enough spells flying to warp the fabric of space and time itself!!

Memorable areas/quests:
    1. The very first area: Irenicus' prison/dungeon made a great impression, perhaps because it set the stage so well. It had lots of different areas and introduced a lot of varied creatures only talked of from the BG/IWD worlds. It was so extensive that when I finally escaped, my first thought was whether the game was over so soon. Happily, it was just getting started. Great into...

2. The Eyless Cult/Beholder Quest. This area, too, was so extensive and involved it just sucked you into it and refused to let go. A lot of different areas to explore and enemies that were certainly no pushovers. Especially for relatively low level parties, as I was when I went into it. The sewers, the cultists, beholders, flayers, and that final bad a$$ lich. It was extremely tough just goin thru some of the battles, but taken as a whole, my party (probably any party) just had to come up from the quest needing some serious rest & recuperating!

"Endure, and in enduring, grow strong."
    "That which does not kill you outright, only strengthens you."

Already, I spend way too much of my time at this game world. And I can hardly ever wait to return.

:) :)

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I like the Umar Hills/Temple Ruins as well. My character was an Archer, and it really made me feel like I WAS the protector of that town and forest; I kept going back to check up on them to be sure eveything was OK even when I knew I had completed the last stronghold quest... Felt like home :)

10. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

My favourite quest so far was the slaver lords quest, apparently, this had some of the best melee fighters in the game, but i found the summomned monsters downstairs more powerful, it got me a load of XP, cash, magic items/weapons INCLUDING the celestial fury (which is a fantastic weapon).

11. Sir Phapylon Gems: 2/31

Is the Slave Lords a mission ? I thought it was only a "derelict house" kinda thing...Just a thought.

12. Ganz Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My most memorable moment/location was in the last chapter, in the palace of the Suldanasser (sp?) elves before going down the staircase to the Tree of Life for the final quest. There was a pause and my character spoke to each member of the party in turn:

Keldorn the noble Paladin/Inquisitor,
    Minsc the honourable Ranger,
    Jaheira the ever-loyal companion,
    Imoen who despite all the hurt will never desert you,
    and the naive Aerie who is willing to help you all the way.

The same question was asked of each (I don't want to spoil it for those who are bringing a good party to the end) and it was a moment frozen in time and one that for me, embodies what good role-playing is all about. I was fully absorbed in the game world and nothing else mattered.

13. greylin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My most memorable moment/quest:
    The whole Jaheira Harper/romance, subplot. Of the three it is very well thought out, and well, adult. watching the emotional conflict of the recent loss of Khalid/Her growing feelings for the Character/Corrupt harper treachery, add an amazing depth to this NPC, and game IMHO.

14. mountain-mike Gems: 2/31

My favourite area was the dungeon under spell-hold: The puzzles that they built in there were classic D&D and fitted without me having to suspend my disbelief (well, not further than you have to for mages cassting magic missiles anyway ;) A little bit of cerebral work never hurt.

15. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I would have to agree with Mountain Mike. The Assylum maze, with its riddles, was the most enjoyable. I found myself compelled to complete that segment. Give me more of that any day.

16. anybodey_9901 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have two favorite places it the BG2 game (still at Chpt 4) one is at Trademeet, almost all of those houses are like estates and are beautiful! The other one would be Asylum maze (total of about 30 riddles, very hard ones!).

17. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] It's got to be the whole Brynnlaw thing for me. The beautiful village, like a greek isle, then the spooky asylum. The whole cutscene with Jon got the hairs on the back of my neck upstanding, then the puzzles and betrayals - excellent.

18. Archangel Guest

I dont know which is my favourite quest but i really like Suldanesselar and all the Rakshasa and that huge elemantal
    I really hate Irenicus' dungeon and that thing in the beginning where you cant skip his whole long speach its boooring :(

[This message has been edited by Archangel (edited November 24, 2000).]

19. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Glad someone made this post. Definately my favorite location in the game so far was the Dragon Caravans. Thus far, that was one of the best thought out and planned dungeon of the game. The best thing was it wasn't just a trap fest(lazy way out). It really made me uneasy about what group lurked around the next corner. It was a nice mix of monsters, interesting, personal plot line, and to top it off an arrogant Dragon that got what was coming to it. Well done!!

20. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

It's already mention but the UNDERDARK rules beyond anywhere else. There you meet the most powerful of the most powerful. 2 Liches, 1 Balor Demon, 1 Lesser Demon LORD, 1 Silver Dragon, Beholders, Ghausts, Elder Eyes, Illithids, Mind Flayers, Githyanki, Umber Hulks, 1 HUGE OGRE, Brain Golems, DROW...DROW...DROW, crazed and angry imprisoned misfits, GREATER Fire, Earth and Air Elementals, Kua-Toa's, Demon Knights and more. You actually find yourself 'yearning' for your party to see sunlight again, and when you do it's like... your party acts like the POPE kissing the dirt. Several times. The whole experience is like a frightening, exciting gauntlet run for your life!

The storylines weaved into this area are classic. The surprises are well done and plentiful. The fighting pits in Ust Natha are compellingly done as well as a 'realistic' view of what DROW REALLY are. So many were probably 'infatuated' with them. This area shows how deceptive, evil, vicious, cruel, murderous and ambitious they are. The way the Underdark is designed it may be the works for a future expansion. It's waaaaay too appealing to not include in future releases.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.