1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Fair?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Oct 4, 2005.

1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    [​IMG] the Serenity movie got me thinking about this, but it applies just as well today.
    1.)Is it fair for a person or group who knows someone else is making a terrible(catestrophic) mistake to force the right choice on them even if the consequences won't affect the first party?
    2.)Is it their responsibility to do so (Q1)?
    3.)Is it fair for an international power (US, UN, etc) to excize a corrupt foreign government even if the government isn't hurting them (think Iraq).
    4.)Is it their responsibility to do so (Q3)?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 4 question(s). 8 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Fair? (8 votes.)

Force right choice? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 13% (1)
    * No - 88% (7)

Responsibility to do so? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 25% (2)
    * No - 75% (6)

Force just government? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 25% (2)
    * No - 75% (6)

Responsibility to do so? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 25% (2)
    * No - 75% (6)

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    The only responsibility any discrete entity has to any other is to provide advice and guidance UPON REQUEST. Anything more than that is gross interference, especially coming from a party who is otherwise completely uninvolved.

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

While it's not right to enforce morality on someone, this doesn't relieve the obligation to try to dissuade them from the wrong choice.

In the place of nations, the UN was created to prevent such abuses, and have done a piss poor job of it lately...

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    To point out the wrongfulness of a potential choice and try to dissuade someone from making a mistake is a responsibility but the use of force should always be carefully weighed.

If I were a country leader and the neighbouring country had a bloody dictator and it were in my power to remove the dictator without inflicting more pain in the process than the dictator's continued rule would (if my intervention wouldn't cause more pain and suffering than leaving the dictator alone), I would intervene. Diplomacy first, covert ops second, war last. It would be my responsibility by means of the universal responsibility for the other human being. As John Paul II (who was n.b. opposed to bringing war to Iraq) said, no one can disclaim responsibility for another human.

Also, as anyone, I would be responsible to try and prevent a suicide or self-mutilation attempt, even by force. Or to prevent someone from going somewhere where he would find death or incur great injury.

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Come to think of it, I have positioned myself between my cousin's fiance and the ******* that vandalized my cousin's car and was prepared to restrain the guy so that he didn't fight the ******* infront of a pair of Toronto's Finest...

6. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Advise, caution or attempt to persuade, yes.

Force, no. Not unless the action would have serious consequences for people other than the do-er.

Also, there's a real difference between "rights" and "responsibilities": a right is an entitlement that cannot be taken away from you, while a responsibility is a duty that you are charged with upholding.

As I see it, one has a moral and/or ethical responsibility to try and dissuade such a course of action - even if it's unwanted advice. If it's only going to affect the actor, you have no right to intervene to force them not to. You may feel a moral imperative to help, but that's a different issue from having a right to do so, and you certainly don't have a right to dictate the actions of others.

I feel the same way as Chev about suicide; I've lost too many people that way. However, that's :yot: .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.