1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Does SP need a revamp?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Barmy Army, May 24, 2004.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Anyone else fed up of the same old dark, boring, depressing colour scheme??

Justa little post to try and muster support to a a change in scenery!

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 48 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Does SP need a revamp? (48 votes.)

Does SP need a revamp? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - This scheme is depressing and too same old - 17% (8)
    * No - I am a sadist and like dark colours. - 83% (40)

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's so magnificently old-fashioned that I even like it. No sucky flash, no PHP that coughs out 404 half the time you try to load it, no snail slow applets, no half-assed scripts. No stupid rollovers, either. Yeah, I really like this design. Damn, even the link underline stands firm in defiance to the sucky trends of the present. Right, I like this design.

3. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Aye, this is one of my favorite forum designs.

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Since most of the other windows I look at have a white background, the change from a black background isn't the best thing for my eyes, so I for one don't like the black background. Plus I just don't like black backgrounds in general, so as you can see, it's a matter of personal preference.

5. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Tal has been threatening a site re-design for a few months now. I think it's all part of a CIA plot, but in the event that he really means it, there are certain to be some changes to SP.

I've been working on a new Invision Powerboard site for the last couple of months, and I continue to be amazed at how user-friendly it is. Some of the new UBB's are really cool. Regardless of the format, I think this color scheme just "screams" SP. It's the one site on the net where I can know I'm home without looking too closely (and anything that helps to confirm that "I'm Home", is welcome in my book.)

Did everyone just get the "warm and fuzzies" too? ;)

Besides, my avy is color-coordinated to this site.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The dark colours are great. I hate reading things on light backgrounds - headache inducing, especially late at night

7. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I like dark colors. They're easy on my eyes and it takes much longer for my eyes to feel stress from reading dark colors.

I like to customize programs like text editors with white text on black background.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There is some confusion here as to what Morsmordre meant with "SP". The site, or these boards? The new design for the site is coming up soon. Though it will still be on a dark background, just not completely black. I much prefer darker backgrounds, and as far as I'm concerned, it's much easier to read bright text on a dark background for prolonged periods of time than the other way around. The boards will stay the same for a while longer, until we switch to another message board software. What will change then, if anything, I can't predict yet.

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ah, the memories; I can still remember those same words year or two back. :)

But the current design does not "really" need anything; I happen to like of blue, and the current scheme pretty well fits to the bill. It could be a bit more modern, though.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I know better than anyone that the new design has been in the works for a long time. However, during this time, it has gone through several complete transformations, numerous improvements and several additions to the original plan. And when I'm talking about it coming soon now, it's an accurate prediction, because apart from the games section, all content is already converted to the new design and sitting on my hard drive. After I'm done with my uni exams in June, I'll do the games sections too, so the new design should definitely be up before the end of July, unless something very unpredictable happens.

And again, we're talking about the site here, not the forums. Forums are a separate issue which will also be addressed in July or August, when I have more free time.

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The forums rock, great to read and very sober - what you expect in a forum. No excessive pics, no page-long 'personals', no graphics - wonderful. Quite a relief. Keep it like it is, it is excellent.

12. chevalier

Media:
    Speaking of sober, the boards and the site should have a separate alternative skin with big black or red letters on white background and high contrast in general. It's so difficult to find your way in this design when you are drunk. It really should be easier.

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I like the forums just the way they are. One of the best looking, well structured and visually pleasing internet forums I've ever seen. I wouldn't change it for the world. I only wish we had more smileys, but that's a small wish.

And Tal's right - a dark screen with white lettering is much, MUCH better for your eyes than the other way around. Open up a word processor and turn off the lights in the room. It's like staring at a light bulb. White on dark is the best way to go, and the blue color scheme has a cool, soothing quality to it. It's the best, believe me.

14. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Hey chev...did ya ever think that maybe they want to keep you off the boards when you're drunk? :p

15. chevalier

Media:
    That would be too cruel to ponder, Hacken Slash.

16. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, if you do update the board, keep the same colors, you can do that, right?

I love this color scheme, it's such a relief after eons of term papers.

17. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I, like many others I see, like the boards the way they are. Therefore I am, apparently, a sadist... :hmm:

Oh well... I can live with that :p

18. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I am a sadist, I like the color scheme, those two are not related.
    Tal please don't change the colors.

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Why do the forums need changing? They are fine, no need to change anything.

20. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think the site is just find the way it is. Also the ram update seems to help the loading of pages around times when it usually bogs down for some reason(10pm-12am Eastern Standard). The only other color i would enjoy more than dark blue would be dark green (my personal fave). I haven't been on the site for a couple days and would have been put out to see pastels adorning my beloved SP! Keep the dark colors!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.