1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you play/allow characters with level adjustments?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Bulges, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Bulges Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Ok, I'm wondering what other peoples thoughts on level adjustments (LA) are. I thought it was the greatest thing invented for d20. But others in my group are not convinced of it. My character just died in my game :wail: from playing with a Deck of Many Things (but that is another story) so I got to make another character. The average party level is six, so the DM said to make a sixth level character. So, the put some weight with my words, I made a Half-Dragon(Bronze) Cansin (the Cansin is a planetouched race from Dragon #297) for a total LA of +4. So I started out as a 2nd level Sorerer. Other people in the party think that my character is weak with only two levels, but with all the extra's I get from the template and the race, I feel that that is not so. Of course, I haven't run him yet, so I might be wrong, but I will find out tomorrow.

I picked up the Savage Species book just to play non-standard races, most of which have level adjustments. I guess that that is just a long winded way to ask if you, as a player, would play a character with a level adjustment? Or would you, as a DM, allow a player to play a char with a level adjustment?

Oh, and the questions deal with actual level adjustment, not ECL due to hit dice (such as an Ogre with six HD and an LA of +2 for a total ECL of 8 [+6 HD, +2 HD]).

And also, I realize that four questions with eight to ten choices may be alot, but I am trying to cover all bases (which belong to us) here.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 4 question(s). 13 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Do you play/allow characters with level adjustments? (13 votes.)

Do/would you play a character with a level adjustment? (Choose 1)
    * I don't understand what you are talking about. - 0% (0)
    * No, I don't like the concept. - 8% (1)
    * Never thought about it. - 0% (0)
    * I would like to, but haven't tried it. - 8% (1)
    * Yes, but I haven't had the oppurtunity. - 46% (6)
    * Yes, but my DM won't allow it. - 8% (1)
    * Yes, and it is fun. - 31% (4)
    * I don't play, only DM. - 0% (0)

How high of a level adjustment are you willing to play? (Choose 1)
    * +0 - 8% (1)
    * +1 - 0% (0)
    * +2 - 31% (4)
    * +3 - 23% (3)
    * +4 - 15% (2)
    * +5 to +6 - 8% (1)
    * +7 to +8 - 0% (0)
    * +9 to +10 - 0% (0)
    * +11 or more - 15% (2)
    * I don't play, only DM. - 0% (0)

Would you allow a character with a level adjustment in your game? (Choose 1)
    * I don't understand what you are talking about. - 0% (0)
    * No, I don't like the concept. - 0% (0)
    * None of my players ever siad anything, so I never thought about it. - 15% (2)
    * I'm worried about powergaming, so I hae not done it. - 8% (1)
    * I've used level adjusted NPC's, but don't allow level adjusted PC's. - 15% (2)
    * Yeh, I've been itching to try it out. - 15% (2)
    * Yes, and I already do. - 23% (3)
    * I don't DM, only play. - 23% (3)

How high of a level adjustment are you willing to let a player use? (Choose 1)
    * +0 - 8% (1)
    * +1 - 8% (1)
    * +2 - 0% (0)
    * +3 - 38% (5)
    * +4 - 0% (0)
    * +5 to +6 - 0% (0)
    * +7 to +8 - 0% (0)
    * +9 to +10 - 0% (0)
    * +11 or more - 23% (3)
    * I don't DM, only play. - 23% (3)

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'd love to play with a +ECL character. Of course, it has to be something that fits the campaign, and it has to be in line with what type of character I want to roleplay.

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

When my D&D party started out a new game a while ago, I wanted to play something different, something not like the 'normal' races, but the DM wouldn't allow it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.