1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you collect memories?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Iku-Turso, May 16, 2006.

1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    [​IMG] Is your home filled with rubble from days past? Do you still keep mementos from your ex-significant other (or less significant if you prefer)? Do you cling to the past or is it easy to let go of the things that remind you of something, or someone? Do you have a huge collection of pictures from your life? Do you keep a diary? In short, do you collect memories?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 6 question(s). 26 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Do you collect memories? (26 votes.)

Do you have a collection of photo-albums filled with memories? (Choose 1)
    * yes - 42% (11)
    * no - 58% (15)

Do you collect souvenirs from your trips for yourself? (Choose 1)
    * yes - 69% (18)
    * no - 31% (8)

Do you have an extensive archive of postcards? (Choose 1)
    * yes - 15% (4)
    * no - 85% (22)

Do you still have all the letters from your friends? (Choose 1)
    * yes - 31% (8)
    * no - 69% (18)

Do you still have all the letters, or other items that remind you of your ex? (Choose 1)
    * yes - 12% (3)
    * no - 88% (23)

Have you kept a diary for several years now, or possibly over a decade? (Choose 1)
    * yes - 4% (1)
    * no - 96% (25)

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I am a pack-rat; tyhus, I keep letters, post cards and so on. and end up biuying junk from my travels, too. And as for diary.. I started a physical one waay back in 2000 and transferred to online around 2002...

In short, yeah, I do.

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    sort of, yesé I don't have much but I got some. Yeah sort of... only I got rid of things that bring BAD memories *cough* ex g/f *cough*. :wail:

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I keep a lot of stuff. Not a diary tho. Mostly pictures, souvenirs, mementos, that sort of thing.

5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    My answers were all no's and that's why I wanted to know what other people do.

This year I started to write a diary, and we'll see how far it'll go. I don't write it every day though, maybe once a week.

I usually throw everything out, and I don't take pictures of any events from my life. I don't even own a camera. I do have some pictures, but they're usually from situations that are mostly insignificant.

I've hardly documented my life, and I'm quick to forget things, so sometimes this makes me feel I almost have no past. True in the sense that I feel that I hardly have any past worth documenting.

This poll was sort of inspired by the movie Memento and the fact that I'm getting rid of stuff that reminds me of my ex.

6. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I keep many things. A few years ago I took a large amount of small things that I had and incorperated them into a montage so that they were actually doing something.

Pictures and words are very important to me. In my opion life is a memory. If you have no memories then you have no life.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Yes, I do collect memories, but not in the "clutter" meaning. But there are some things I will forever hold onto, like the twin silver dragon pendants, who have a huge lot of sentimental value to me.

Also, memories make who we are, what we have been through, be it good or bad, and I treasure them.

8. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Or one could argue that memories are what defines you. If you have no memories, you still might be a functional living organism, but you would not be a self. There would be no 'you', even though this physical embodiment of instincts might be reactive and irritable.

Then again that embodiment might still have a memory of sorts: genetic memory, shaped by natural selection as each generation would pass.

9. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    If you want to be complete, Iku-Turso, you should go look for the Other within the Self. :shake:

Uhum..

The past is what makes you you, I think. And as memories are the way to hold on to that past, I guess they are pretty vital. ;)

I keep almost everything. From teddy bears to scraps of paper. No diary, however. I like the past to be tangibly there, but a written story of my life would feel slightly too confining...I don't want to be held down by the past either. ;)

On that note: someone without memories is always free to reinvent himself. I don't think it weighs up to the lack of identification and completeness, but perhaps it does for some people.

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My house is filled with knick knacks and art that I have picked up on my travels. There is not a single room in my house that does not contain at least one thing that I have brought back from my travels.

As far as photos go, I have many digital albums of photos (and CD back-ups) from just about every aspect of my life dating back to 1999. Pre-1999 non-digital pictures are in the family photo albums which are at my parents' house. I do not print my digital photos - with one exception. One of my rooms is decorated with a series of framed photos that I have taken during my travels. I am in the process of adding more photos to that room - I have bought the frames but I never seem to get around to selecting and printing the actual photos.

I keep travel journals for my vacations but I do not normally keep any sort of diary.

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Pack-cat. Photo-albums and souvenirs, but the other stuff...no.

12. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I'm a collector. I can still lay my hands on (though not at my current address) the things I made in infant school 27 odd years ago. I keep just about everything, right down to a cadbury's cream egg wrapper from my partner 8 years ago. Don't have an ex to speak of, never collected postcards or kept a diary.

13. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I collect stuff for Jack, postcards and reciepts and stuff and put it in a book of memories for him :)

14. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Nothing. I seem to go boldly forward with no regard to actively keeping track of where I've been.

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I keep things because I'm too lazy to throw them out or the garbage men won't take the junk. I have photo albums, but only 2 which is far from a collection.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Since the era of digital cameras has arrived, I have become much more useless about putting photos into albums. I have great albums going up to about 2003 and since then, all photos are rattling around on a computer hard drive somewhere and will probably end up being lost or never seen again.

17. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I do up to a point, but if it came to it, I'd say no not to any great degree...I have such a bad memory (which I hate) that to me something that happened yestersday can feel as though it happened a decade ago, and visa versa...so I live in the present for the most part :)

I do have letters/e-mails from my friends that go back quite a way...but I don't have anything else really...as to the diary, I never managed to get past a week. Wish my memory was better, I really envy people who can remember their childhood...I don't really remember mine :bad:

18. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I keep digital albums on CDs. My wife is far to jealous for me to even think of keeping momentos from former relationships.

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Oh yes, I have a vaaaast collection. Wisdom comes in pain. Not claiming to be wise... it's just I've seen some.

20. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I find it very difficult to throw things away. A symptom of OCD, I'm told, but that's another story. I've got plenty of piece of work from primary and even pre-school that I'm proud of.

I've also got an old diary that fills me with shame at the sheer lack of taste I had as a 12 year old, but I can't bring myself to throw it away.

One memorable quote from it:

"I'm listening to Queen in the car, that's how sad my day is. Shut that crap up ang gimme Robbie Williams!"

*Cringe* I'm so sorry. Freddie pwns Robbie even after his death, with his hands behind his back, and with larangytis. I can't believe I ever thought that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.