1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Conspiracy theories

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Clixby, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Basically, I've decided to make this poll to see how many people on these boards entertain conspiracy theories, as well as those who think that that kind of stuff is ridiculous.

If you specify "other", kindly tell us your crazed tinfoil-hat rantings.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 48 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Conspiracy theories (48 votes.)

What conspiracy theories do you believe? (Choose 5)
    * The moon landing was hoaxed - 13% (6)
    * JFK's assassination was a conspiracy - 23% (11)
    * 9/11 was orchestrated by the US government - 25% (12)
    * Other - 50% (24)
    * I don't believe in conspiracy theories - 29% (14)

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hokay, my "crazed tinfoil-hat" theory is this:

None of the above were conspiracies but there are conspiracies.

Somewhere, someplace someone is conspiring to do something.

3. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I have a consipracy theory, and it's true. 'They' aren't out to get you, work the governments for the benefit of themselves. 'They' are not scheming to get more money, influence, power, or whatever. 'They' are not framing anything.

We're all in it. It is the tragedy of the commons. All it takes is just a single John or Jane Regular, the common man who just wants to make his/her life a little more comfortable and that's what we regular people set out to do. Get a bigger car, bigger apartment, bigger steak on the table, matching set of furniture. This is just fine and good. But the consequences of this 'getting comfortable' repeated over and over again, billions of times, is quite horrifying.

Simpler example and easier to prove right. Mudslides, in where was it last year? Pakistan? Indonesia? Thousands die. How much wood does it take to warm cooking pots in the third world countries? Where do you think that the people get their firewood from? Those nearby hills which ground starts to pour down from the deforested hillsides when the rainseason comes? Cause and effect. Can't blame them really, they just don't know better.

Fishing industry has had a few dramatic setbacks because of overfishing. Tragedy of commons at work again. Or as I'd like call it, conspiracy of idiots.

4. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I believe 9/11 was orchestrated by the US government. Or they knew but they didn't prevent it.

5. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I think that it could have been possible (9/11). Talk to any numerologist about that though, and they just might flip out.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Uh. Well, I voted for JFK's assassination being a conspiracy. Nobody could have shot JFK with such a crap rifle. I don't have a clue who it was, but I think Oswald was a fallguy.

As for 9/11, why go for a conspiracy when disorganisation is much simpler an explanation? According to Condi Rice crises are also opportunities. The Bush Administration took full advantage of the opportunity, and shot themselves in the knee when going after Iraq.
    Ever since the US have been limping and bleeding. With Iran and 'all options on the table', Bush has seemingly noted he has a still healthy leg and seems determined about to do something about it.

One thing I'm curious about is wether Israel knew something was coming on or around 9/11 and failed to inform the US. There was this 'art student' operation, Israeli spying on Arabs in the US, and those Israelis arrested cheering on 9/11 in Manhattan a lá 'Now you know what we went through!'. Very circumstantial, but still. There was a four part report on Fox News on it, even though it isn't really coherent on this.

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Ditto Nakia.

8. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think you should have made that list a bit longer. The illuminati is watching you know and they don't appreciate lists that ignore them. They'll be coming after you shortly. :mommy:

Seriously, I don't believe in conspiracy theories. As far as Kennedy goes I don't know nearly enough about it. If it was not Oswald it was probably a similar loonie doing the job. Some conspiracy theories just might be true but what's the good in that when you don't know which one? So practically everytime something big happens and a conspiracy theory is made out of it the dies in my head roll and tell my brain that the odds for this conspiracy theory to be true suck and I choose to pretty much ignore it. ;)

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I can't tell you what's going on, if I did then you'd know; and if you know, then they'd know. And they'd want to know how you knew, and you'd tell them about me, and I'd be expected to tell them about the monkeys. We're all monkeys I tell you...

I voted I don't believe in conspiracy theories, I don't really but I believe that conspiracy does occur.

And a last question: What is the comspiracy theory drawing our attention from?

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

None, mostly because even if they were true it wouldn't matter. The term conspiricy is thrown around with abandon but I take it you're only talking about major things such as 9/11, Area 51, The Moon Landing (surprising how they are all USA focused). In these cases the main problem I have is the effort required to pull off such a thing and the benefit for doing it aren't worth it.

11. Clixby Gems: 13/31

I'm interested in all conspiracy theories, it's just that I narrowed the main questions into the "biggies" (for example, I didn't include the theory that the British Royal Family are alien lizards) and the rest went into "other".

I also agree with your last point. One major flaw I find in most of these conspiracies is: how did they cover it up?

12. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

The moon landing one is espcially nonsense. I am sure the soviets would have had every observation device set pointing towards the moon. I'm sure they would have been the first to cry is something was amiss.

13. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31

The only one I really believe is the Military-Industrial Complex. I believe the architects of the war in Iraq (and the broader War on Terror) intended to start a war that would never really end, thus replacing the Cold War. A war without end is a paycheck without end for the Military-Industrial Complex. Of course they can't come out publicly and say this was their intention, instead we get Rumsfeld saying it will be over in "six days... six weeks. I doubt six months..." so we can all say "what an idiot!" Meanwhile, he's laughing all the way to the bank.

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What started out as a conspiracy theory here turned out to be true - RUC officers helping Loyalist terrorists choose Catholic victims and Gardai officers helping Republican terrorists kill Protestants. It may take decades, but things do come out eventually.

As for Clixby's list, I believe that the moonlandings were fake, not because of 'footage', 'photos' or anything like that. After decades of technological achievements its not been done since, yet Bush is bragging that he will have 'another' man on the moon within 20 years.

For 9/11 I think there is a lot that we don't know, but I am not going to say it was an internal job.

15. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Kennedy's death was an inside job to keep the Vietnam war going, and there's some other conspiracies abound, but the moon-landing thing is just stupid.

16. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I don't believe it would have been possible to fake the Lunar landings and keep the fake a secret. There would have been thousands of people involved, all of whom would then have to keep silent about it, and as Rotku correctly points out, the Soviets would also have known and blown the whistle.

The Kennedy murder - I don't believe Oswald could have done it alone with an old-fashioned and notoriously unreliable rifle, and Kennedy had made some very powerful enemies. Check John Stockwell's "The Praetorian Guard" for a more thorough discussion.

9/11: Again, this is too big to be covered up. It was not a government job, though there may have been people in the administration or government who knew in advance and let it happen in order to strengthen government control for "national security" reasons but the conspiracy would be limited to a small, controllable number of people.

17. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Surprise, surprise, I agree with Nakia! I think there are far, far more conspiracies taking place in corporate boardrooms all over the globe than the American government can dream of. Bureaucrats are too short-sighted, territorial, and disorganized to pull off an effective conspiracy.

18. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, the Kennedy murder is about the only conspiracy I believe in.

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Rally,
    you forget the rotating door and that basically half of the Bush appointed government represents, is, corporate America.

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I find conspiracy theories hilarious. When two or more people in industry conspire to steal money from customers or stockholders it is a crime. When two or more people in government conspire to steal taxpayers money it becomes an evil government plot.

Unethical people are everywhere, and when they break the law it is a crime -- even when they work for the government.

Oh yes, Ragusa: this is AoDA, not AoLS. How can you possibly tie President Bush in a negative way to EVERY TOPIC? Let it go.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.