1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Chronic Restarter seeks Re-Orientation on Melee Weapons

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Ragusa, May 7, 2007.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] It's happening again. I have designed the perfect rogue-fighter-weaponsmaster, gaining WM levels as early as level 7, but alas, I am very unhappy with my weapon choice - the scimitar. I picked it for criticals but I simply don't like the crappy looks of the things (same reason why I have never gotten myself to go for falchions). I have also crafted a few nice scimitars already, so clearly the loss is mine - the gems wasted on enchanting them will be missing when I enchant new stuff, but alas. Plus, I can still sell the old crap.

Now to restart the game again (I haven't finished yet) for looks alone is just silly, and I am about to fix that in a more direct and less time consuming fashion.

So I made up my little list of requirements:
    • single handed
    • not exotic
    • not crappy looking
    • worthy of a weaponmaster
    • 1d8 damage
    I have narrowed down that list to three candidates: Longsword (which look silly), battleaxe (which in part look silly too), and light flail.

Point is, I can't decide. Help me :)

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 7 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Chonic Restarter seeks Orientation on Melee Weapons (7 votes.)

Chonic Restarter seeks Orientation on Melee Weapons (Choose 1)
    * Battleaxe - 14% (1)
    * Light Flail - 43% (3)
    * Longsword - 43% (3)

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

i would go longsword, more crits and looks better with a rogueish guy. while the powergamer in me screams battleaxe for the higher critical damage. also if you have the treats, duelwield and put a shortsword in offhand for the looks :)

3. Ragusa

Media:
    My rogue is more a smoothtalking type, and very straightforward in battle. As for the beginning of Act II my char has 2 levels rogue, 4 levels fighter and 5 levels weaponmaster. Supremely capable in melee. And will be supremely nasty when he gains more sneak attack capability later.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Take a Dwarf and then the Dwarven Waraxe is not exotic. That's what I did :)

5. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I actually voted for the light flail just because I haven't seen it done *grin* I don't know what weapons are available in NWN2, but if you want power, go for longsword for the criticals and take improved critical; otherwise, go for the flail for coolness and the first Weapon Master I've heard of that does bludgeoning damage. Battleaxe just doesn't have the suaveness & finesse I'd associate with a Rogue/Weapon Master, it screams "Thog go smash!" to me ;)

6. Ragusa

Media:
    BTA,
    I see your point, and I would usually choose the katana (about only weapon in the game, with flails, that looks normal) or even dwarven waraxe, if it wasn't for the exotic weapons feat required. But it is more complicated than that alone.

Choosing a dwarf would still have left me one feat short, not to mention the extra skill points a human char gets - with a dwarf I'd have to go for a higher INT than required for a human. That mostly compensates for the dwarf's ability advatages. With a dwarf I would get the WM class two levels later if I take fighter levels, and three levels later if I picked rogue levels.

What makes my char build possible is the bonus feat humans receive (means, it would work with a strongheart halfling, to), and the skill bonus (no need to invest more stat points in Int). I could have traded the able learner feat for exotic weapons (and a powerful and cool looking weapon) but would have ended up being short on skills. You see, my char is finely tuned to my gaming style ;)

Tia,
    don't mind the looks of people who will inevitably be staring at you if you follow my advice, and build yourself a flail. A tennis ball, some cord and a stick will do fine for that purpose. And then try to use it in a controlled way :shake: I think it is worthy of a weapon master ;)

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Rags,

I've been amazed at the sheer number of excellent and interesting short swords in this game. I think a rogue dualing short swords looks cool as hell, and you can really maximize that by beefing up your parry skill.

I'd try this (the character I just started, and am loving):

Teifling
    Fighter 6 / Rogue 7 / Weapon Master 7

Emphasize dex over strength and go for weapon finesse, dump points into parry, and spend feats on two-weapon fighting skills. Invest your weapon master feats into the short sword. Sure it only does 1d6, but whoopty doo. Sneak attack and high dex bonuses will offset the lack of high strength. Have a decent strength (14-16) but emphasize your dex. It fits with the character you're going for, it looks cool, and it's a recipe for tons of damage and cool weapons to choose from. Can't go wrong here.

ps - I was amazed at the sheer LACK of decent long swords in this game. Long swords are supposed to be the bread and butter of melee, and I found only 2-3 magical long swords (by that I mean more than just +1, +2, etc.) in the first two chapters. Dumb.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    DR,
    same for axes - the good stuff you got to make yourself. I'm tending toward axes atm, but alas, I'm still undecided. It seems the only cool looking weapons in the game are flail, dwarven waraxe, katana and kukri. Everything else they screwed up visually.

As for dualwielding, you are of course right. Dualwielding, with a finesse character, going along the rogue-figter-weaponmaster is terrific in terms of sheer number of attacks, and of course, sneak attack. Coupled with two weapon defense feats and high parry the char will probably be untouchable. I built and tested such a char, a halfling rogue wielding kukris. Awesome. I intend to play something like that in MotB. A human or drow rogue with short swords.... ?

With the Kukris, I thought about going to improved crit and enchant two disabling weapons (one with daze/slow, the other with hold/stun - both with with massive critical). Though admitteldly, that would be quite cheesy.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ** SPOILER **

It just occured to me that the advantages of this character will be all but eliminated once I reach Act III, because most of the enemies in Act III are immune to sneak attack and critical hits. :( Poopy.

I may reboot this character by ditching the weapon master part and going for Frenzied Bizzurkular instead.

You may want to try one as a dwarf dual-wielder, Rags. That way you can Axe yourself silly, dodge and mobility certainly lend themselves well to such a build, and you could really take advantage of dwarf traits. Try something like this:

Fighter 8 / Dwarven Defender 5 / Frenzied Berzerker 7.

Dual weild, taking battle axes & dwarven war axes in the main hand, and hand axes in the off hand. I'd go ahead and put your dex at 13 and emphasize strength. Avoid the Improved Critical feats (as you can have Sand or Qara cast "Keen Edge" on you, or better yet, make a scabbard of Keen Edges) and instead invest in two-weapon fighting feats. I never use Knockdown or anything like that, so you should have plenty of feats to invest in it now that you don't have to work towards being a weapon master. This character would be a tank-o-rama, and fun to boot. By the time you get Improved/Greater Two-Weapon fighting, you'll have 6 attacks per found.

If you don't dig on dwarves, you could probably work something fun out with a human. Maybe switch out Dwarven Defender for a few levels of Divine Champ. Fun fun.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.