1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Bg2 vs NWN

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Tronak el Karbaro, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Attending only to your style of playing-not the quality of both games- and your idea of what a AD&D game should be, what style of gaming do you prefer?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 23 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Bg2 vs NWN (23 votes.)

Bg2 vs NWN (Choose 1)
    * I prefer to play with a full party, side quests based on alignment or character class more than on a persuade ability. - 87% (20)
    * I prefer the easyness of use of NWN, because I like to play solo or with a single NPC and more straightforward plots and side quests - 13% (3)

2. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Somehow, I can't stand playing through all of Neverwinter Nights. I hate that you hardly can't have a party. Also, the combat animations are just ugly( :toofar: ). I - almost - always prefer none-rotateable cameras.

RPGs should always be played with a party - anyone ever plays P&P with one Dungeon master and 1 player? Hardly. The option to solo should be there, just like in BG2, though not like in NWN. It was a big disappointment for me, since I've been looking forward to it ever since I first saw a note for it in PCG many years ago. Well, you can't have everything, BG2 is near-perfekt anyway ;)

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I enjoyed both for different reasons. I enjoyed BG because of the storyline, characters and interactions. I enjoyed NWN for the online gaming and to a lesser extent, policing the servers with a dwarf fighter/cleric to punish any bug abusers. NWN is a game where you can smack down idiots online. Always loved that part of it.

4. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

2 votes for NWN, how did that happen?

NWN is just a pretty looking hack and slash, a really bad one though.

BG on the other hand is a masterpiece.

5. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

For single player, the NWN official campaigns, except HotU, really weren't very good compared to BG. I bought the game almost entirely for the toolset, and so I wasn't disappointed with it. I still voted BG though, because that game is great.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

BG2 for sure is tons better then NWN.

7. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

BG2 just wins hands down in every respect. I'll be playing it long after NWN 15 has been long forgotten.

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I could not look past Neverwinter Nights engine.

No. That's not right.

I could not deal with Neverwinter Nights engine. I wanted it to work, but it just did not. I could not stop cussing the engine (the camera, to be specific) long enough to find anything worthwhile. I didn't even get out of the first dungeon. The orcs attacked, I killed a few and opened a couple of chests, and called it quits.

I know there are people who enjoy it, and I do not resent them for it. I just don't care for the game, myself.

I cussed the camera several times in Dungeon Siege, but it was always at the entrace to a cave or when stepping onto an elevator/transport. Everywhere else I enjoyed it.

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Is this even a question? Same as comparing Vinci's work to 1st year students one. If people like of NwN, it's because of the multiplayer. In every other area BG2 r0ks0rz (just try that mod that combines the rules of ID2 with BG2 story) :D

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I like NWN in multiplayer mode on Gamespy, but I haven't finished the original NWN module, let alone Undrentide or Underdark. But I've looged many an hour on the multiplayer servers in ALFA and the ones listed on Gamespy.

I haven't finished BG2 yet either, or Throne of Bhaal, but I like the game a lot! I got hooked on IWD2, and the BG2 game looks clunier by comparison, so I haven't gone back to it. If BG2 were updated to incorporate 3ed rules, I might give it another go...

11. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Well, NWN is still on 2 thankfully.

12. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

BG / BG2 = Singleplayer
    NWN = Multiplayer

I play NWN a lot. A lot more than BG2. NWN singleplayer isn't too good ('cept HotU Chapter 3), but NWN rocks multiplayer.

And now NWN is at 3, 'cause of the multiplayer worlds.
    (Okies then, NWN Oc really sucks)

13. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

/me repeats the post above by Taza

There's nothing more to add. NwN multiplayer and BG single player. Both are completely superior one to the other in these two aspects.

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Bel, like I said; there is a mod "approaching beta testing phase" that will do just that; take ID2's rules and implement them to BG2. :) Definitely a must download once it's a real "v1.00" :happy:

(Checked the name: Icewind Gate II)

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Let's get back on topic now, shall we...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.