1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Abortion Laws (and some views)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The main point of this poll is to find out what abortion laws are like around the world. For example, in the U.S., up to the first trimester is legal everywhere. However, it is my understanding that elsewhere it goes to extremes of totally illegal, all the way through partial birth abortion being legal. If you could provide your country and law in your reply, it would be much appreciated. There's some other questions too.

EDIT: One more thing - one question is on the morning after pill. In case you've never heard of it, it is a pill that can be taken very early on in pregnancy (hence the name morning after) to prevent the continuation of a pregnancy. Also, I'm assuming that we're talking about legal acquisition of the product. If you can only get it illegally, then consider it's unavailable (legally).

[ October 11, 2005, 19:35: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 5 question(s). 33 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Abortion Laws (and some views) (33 votes.)

What response most closely represents the legality of abortion in your country? (Choose 1)
    * It is never legal. - 6% (2)
    * It is only legal in extreme circumstances (examples: incest, rape, life of mother in jeopardy) - 9% (3)
    * Abortions in the 1st trimester (13 weeks) are legal. - 39% (13)
    * Abortions in the 2nd trimester (26 weeks, about when fetus can survive outside the womb with medical intervention) are legal. - 39% (13)
    * Abortions in the 3rd trimester (40 weeks, up to and including partial birth) are legal. - 6% (2)

What response most closely reflects your thoughts on the legality of abortion? (Choose 1)
    * It should always be illegal - 15% (5)
    * It should be illegal except in extreme circumstances (as examples above) - 15% (5)
    * Legal in the 1st trimester - 42% (14)
    * Legal in the 2nd trimester - 21% (7)
    * Legal in the 3rd trimester - 6% (2)

Is the "morning after pill" available in your country? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, it is available in over-the-counter sales. - 48% (16)
    * Yes, but only with a prescription from a doctor. - 36% (12)
    * No, it is currently unavailable. - 15% (5)

On a societal level, I feel abortion should be... (Choose 1)
    * Alway illegal (fanatical pro-life) - 6% (2)
    * Mostly illegal, but acceptable in extreme circumstances (pro-life) - 21% (7)
    * Mostly legal, but not OK with it if the child could survive outside the womb (pro-choice) - 45% (15)
    * Always legal (fanatical pro-choice) - 27% (9)

On a personal level (i.e., you are the parent), you would... (Choose 1)
    * Never consider (or actively discourage your partner from) having an abortion. - 33% (11)
    * Would only consider (or encourage your partner to consider) having an abortion in an extreme circumstance. - 36% (12)
    * Would consider (or actively encourage/leave the choice up to her) to have an abortion regardless of the severity of the situation. - 30% (10)

2. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Excellent question!
    my answers:
    1. It is only legal in extreme circumstances (examples: incest, rape, life of mother in jeopardy)
    2. It should always be illegal (I voted that option in a rush so it looks stupid in refference to other responces. My view for that question - always legal)
    3. Yes, but only with a prescription from a doctor.
    4. Always legal (fanatical pro-choice)
    5. Would consider (or actively encourage/leave the choice up to her) to have an abortion regardless of the severity of the situation.

EDIT: corrected no.5

[ October 11, 2005, 19:42: Message edited by: Undertaker ]

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @Undertaker - what country are you from?

And perhaps the better question, why do you feel like the law should be always illegal, and yet, at the same time, you consider yourself fanatical pro-choice?

4. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

I'm from Poland.

Did I said sth wrong/stupid? Yep in no. 2 "What response most closely reflects your thoughts on the legality of abortion? " I think there should be "Always legal" option. Guess I rushed and voted wrong option :o
    I need to correct that.

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I voted that the morning after pill was not available only to procede with the poll. The truth is that I really don't know, and really don't give a rat's ass about it.

I'm Pro-Life but will look the other way in extreme circumstances (it's not my place to judge there).

6. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

1. In Victoria, it is only legal if taking the baby to term would present a serious risk to the health of the mother. Health is broadly defined. Effectively and in practice, that's somewhere between 2 and 3, so I voted 3.

2. Up to the 1st trimester. Once the baby can survive outside the womb, I do not support abortion unless there is an exceptionally compelling (and typically life-threatening) reason to do so.

3. No, it is not, to the best of my knowledge. To have access to it, one must apply to the Federal Health Minister directly. In short, it's unavailable.

4. Mostly OK with it, but not in all circumstances.

5. Only in an emergency situation would I consider or encourage such a decision. Even then, it wouldn't ultimately be my choice to make.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    1. In Poland, only by a doctor and where there's a serious danger to the mother's life or health; when prenatal examination has shown with large probability that the foetus is irreversibly severely damaged or has a life-threatening defect; when there's a well-grounded suspicion that pregnancy results from crime. For pregnancy resulting from crime, it's 12 weeks. Danger or damage, not after the foetus can live on his own outside the woman's body. In case of danger to the woman or damage of the foetus, said damage must be diagnosed by a different doctor from the one that induces the abortion unless there's an immediate threat to the woman's life. As for crime, it takes a public prosecutor. In case of minors, they are to be consulted and the court decides, not just the parents. If the minor is 13 or older, no one can abort without her consent. Break the rules and you're in prison, except the mother who never faces any consequences herself.

Note: It was legal for social reasons or "difficult situation" but the Constitutional Court struck that down and we won in Strasbourg. Basically, placing one human entity's right to life below a subjectively defined interest of a lesser rank (economical concerns etc) of another person violates the most basic human life. Such a legislation is unseemly, therefore out it goes.

2. It should always be illegal, regardless of the circumstances. Performing a necessary medical action on the mother that results indirectly in the death of the foetus, even if the result is certain, is not always abortion. However, a direct assault on the foetus is never permissible.

3. As for abortifiacients known as "post-coital contraception", they hand people leaflets in front of courts and the law department, it's probably legal without prescription. There must be some regulation but they have their ways... you know, there are always meds that can be used as abortifacients but are otherwise necessary on the market.

4. Should homicide ever be legal?

Note: I don't oppose non-abortificient post-coital contraception in case of rape, but the problem is twofold: first, such meds are always or almost always also abortificients depending on the dose used, so there's a risk of destroying a fertilised egg. Next, those meds can actually facilitate fertilisation because of their effect -- and we don't want that. So, caution.

5. Would never have, always discourage.

8. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

1. See chev post above.

2. Always illegal.

3. I don't know, and I don't care, so I voted "No".

4. Mostly illegal.

5. Never consider, no matter what.

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

1 - Illegal in ALL of Ireland
    2- It should be legal, but discouraged (with help provided of course)
    3 - Perscription only (don't want to encourage its use)
    4 - Pro-choice, but it should be discouraged (and help provided as with Q2)
    5 - I would discourage abortions, but thankfully I have no experience in this matter.

10. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

1.) Legal to 20 weeks
    2.) Legal in first Trimester, (imo 13 weeks really is enough time to make your mind up.) except in exceptional circumstance where I would accept the current British regulations of up to 20 weeks.
    3.) Yes, I believe over the counter but don't actually know.
    4.) Legal except if the foetus can survive outside the womb - Covered by my response in 2 really.
    5.) The choice is my partners. Being as she has a phobia of pregnancy (including other pregnant women) I'm fairly sure which way it would go...

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I read somewhere that it was made legal in 1999 or something, was my source wrong?

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

• Legal upto second trimester (which is considered to end at 20 weeks).
    • Agree with the current laws in India.
    • OTC.
    • If the baby was carried for almost 5 months then the mother should not have any objection to carry the pregnancy forward. Termination of late pregnancies should only be allowed if there is proof that carrying the pregnancy to term will endanger the life of mother and/or child.
    • Her choise is primary. I would rather have her take a pregnancy to term because she will love the child rather than for some inane religious reasons. I for one can never understand nor consider arguments that the mother should take a pregnancy to term and then hand the child over to authorities if she doesn't want it. Better to terminate the pregnancy at the first available opprtunity.

13. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

After a little research, I found the following

Its illegal in the North, I know for sure - but you are allowed to travel to Scotland, England and Wales for the purpose of having an abortion. There is also a Swedish charity that operates at sea that offers abortions to local women, its known as the 'abortion ship' by pro-life fanatics.

14. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

In a similar vein, there was a recent case in Britain where a charity group were reported for refering late-term pregnancies for abortions abroad. And apologies, it is 24 weeks in the UK, not 20.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3730464.stm

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Um... essentially, there is. The last option in question 2 is if you believe it should be acceptable through the 3rd trimester. That would be the entire pregnancy, meaning it is always legal. After the 3rd trimester, it's a baby, so it can't be aborted as it's already been born.

16. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Guess I misunderstood the question :o

17. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Why not ?...If one is for aborting child just before birth, one can as well allow aborting just after birth...makes no difference for me. The only difference is that newborn child breathes air.

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The 3rd trimester extends from 26th week till delivery. So could you please explain what was that you just posted? Abortion is used exclusively to mean the termination of a pregnancy resulting in subsequent death of the fetus (if formed). From Wikipedia:

19. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I don't know much about the other things but i'm pretty sure that you can get the "morning after pill" in all farmacies for about 100 DKKR ~ 15 USD

20. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Finland does not have abortion on demand, but that is practically how it is since economical and social reasons are valid for abortion. Abortion is allowed up until the twentieth week of the pregnancy and up until the 24th week if serious impairment in the foetus is found (whatever that means in practice is beyoned me). If the mother's life, physical or mental health is considered to be threatened by the pregnancy it can be terminated whenever necessary.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.