1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: A D&D poll

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ofelix, May 27, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    wow what a topic! nah just answer please, it's about your preference about D&D

[ May 27, 2003, 16:17: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 3 question(s). 60 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: A D&D POLL (60 votes.)

In your D&D session, are your very serious or more relax (Choose 1)
    * Serious, with that we realy play a role playing game - 33% (20)
    * Relax, it's only a game - 67% (40)

In your D&D session, are players Stereotype? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, Elven archer and halfling thief are just the best - 27% (16)
    * No, why a gnome couldn't be barbarian? - 73% (44)

Do you play more Role play or More Hack N Slashery? (Choose 1)
    * Role play it's more fun - 78% (47)
    * Hack N slashery it's always fun to kill thing - 22% (13)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If you have ever heard me talk about my paladin you wouldn't ask such stupid questions :shake: ;)

Relaxed, not stereotyped, roleplay over hack'n'slash.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Relaxed, not stereotyped, balance between roleplay and hack&slash.

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Exactly the same as Faragon. :)
    Relaxed, not stereotyped, balance between roleplay and hack and slash.

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Well I must say I do the same, But their is an alarming 30% who prefer Hack n Slashery...! :eek:

6. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've noticed that D&D is about roll-playing not role-playing, which leads to power gaming, and nothing but killing. This has always been my problem with D&D, Everything is about killing, FR may be a great Setting but it is power gaming stuff ETC… 3E is good but I see no reason to make it the focus of my RPing, unless of course it's being played in Rokugan...

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Someone explain to me why powergaming is inherently a bad thing.

If a bunch of powergamers get together with a Monty Haul DM, and subsequently have fun, is there something wrong with that?

---

-Relaxed/Tense. While one should treat D&D as a game first and foremost, and not get too obsessed or upset over it (especially the rules, IMHO). But I think that deep-immersion role-playing is fun.

-Stereotypes/Nonconformity. It really all depends. While there is a disturbing lack of originalty in an Elven Ranger, or for that case, a Drow Ranger dual-wielding scimitars, there is nothing wrong with almost any character concept inherently. I believe that if you're going to bother making such a good/thorough character concept, though, ya might as well role-play it.

-Role-play vs. Hack 'n' Slash. I prefer role-play. Because, of course it's the more refined and "better" choice. ;) :rolleyes:

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Some one explain to me what powergaming is.

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Powergaming is the opposite of role-playing. With role-playing, you make choices on how to upgrade your character, based on his personality and how your character may feel. With powerplaying, you only have one purpose, to get as strong as possible and beat the hell out of everything. A powerplayer might take classes which don't fit to the personality of the character, but will in fact make him stronger in some way.

Powergaming is not the same as hack 'n' slash. With hack 'n' slash, the game is concentrated on fighting, but this can also be done role-playing. If you have a very combat orientated group, it is very likely that they have more fights, than, for example, puzzles to solve, but this does not mean you can't role-play.

This is the best explaination I could think of, and I hope this makes things a bit clearer.

10. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

Power gaming is for the 13 year old anime fan boys who care for nothing more than to have big stats, all they care about is stats, level gaining and gold. They have no care for Strategic thinking or Storyline nor do they even care about the fun of the game it self, they simply want to gain more levels and be more powerful then everyone else.

11. chevalier

Media:
    Yes, some guys would combine paladin of Torm with Assassin (technically possible) and level both up interchangeably :rolleyes:

I see no reason why roleplay shouldn't involve odd combinations, but again - personality is crucial.

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Not really with the paladin/assassin example. Once a paladin takes a level in another class, he can't go back to leveling up in paladin levels. There are a few exceptions with this, but I'm sure it doesn't involve assassins, especially not with Torm.

@Nick: don't you think that's a rather broad generalization?

13. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

No I don't, I'm not saying that all D&D players are power gamers what I am saying is that the system is easy to power game in... And that most 13 year old anime fanboys take advantage of that.

14. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Well, that's what you have a DM for. He can balance you out no matter how powerfull you are :)

You rolled a 20? The goblin easily blocks your attack with a quick sweep of his shield. ;)

15. chevalier

Media:
    Rule-wise Torm allows *any* but only one other class and each other deity allows at least one, but it's cleric or warrior most of times, so no big deal. Mystra pallies / wizards are great if handled by competent players like myself ;)

BTW I seriously consider running a paladin with prior ranger, rogue and maybe warrior levels, but that's because all my paladins are based on you know whom :rolleyes:

16. Oaz Gems: 29/31

So Torm also allows pallies to level up in paladin even though they've fallen from grace and become evil?

:eek:

17. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

My characters always have one goal, becoming tougher, any sensible adventurer would constantly think about becoming stronger since it's imperative to their survival.

18. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Every character has the same goal? Sorry, but that just sounds like a lame excuse to rollplay ;) No offence, I'm just looking at it from the roleplaying side, and playing every character with the same goal looks extremely boring to me.

My good cleric wants a little castle of his own, with a few farmers to look over, or perhaps a traderoute. Thus he adventures, for it is the fastest way to gain gold honestly. The tiefling rogue/mage wants to keep his demon heritage a secret more than anything, and fights a continuous battle to keep it so. As for the Sorceress, she wants to gather a small army at her side, even though she considers fighters to be little more than meatshields. They're actually mobile meatshields :) Wait, did I say 'even though' I meant 'because' :grin: She's a sarcastic little woman, and loves to take any chance to poke at fighters. And if you have your own army of it, look at all the potshots one could take!!!

See my point?

19. chevalier

Media:
    Of course not. They still have to keep to LG standards. Technically, this doesn't mean one can't also level up in assassin class.

BTW, Torm allows his clerics and paladins to control undead with no risk to their alignment.

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am always a bit bugged by how everyone just bashes powergaming. True intense munchkining and pure powergaming is not overly fun. But can anyone honestly say that you do not care if the feat or spell you choose is useful? I know I take the spells, feats and whatnots that I think would make my character best on what he do. No character I play would learn something just because he thought it was fun, he would want to be as good as he can be and to be able to survive. I am not talking mixing a bunch of prestige classes to create an übermunchkin but a character that is useful and fun to play. To be able to do stuff I cant do in real life and to experience a sense of power is one of the main reasons I play D&D and then I want a character that is as powerful he can be. It can probably be fun to play a half-orc wizard but in the long run he would be weaker than the others, and even if you have a blast RPing him you can have a blast RPing your tiefling mage as well, only difference would be that the tiefling would be the much better mage. Powergaming does not exclude roleplaying, I prefer to combine the two.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.