1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: A BoM Folding @ Home Team?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Kitrax, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    [​IMG] I've been thinking of starting a Folding@Home team for the Bom.

What is Folding@Home? Check out their web site. Basically, Stanford University needs to do massive calculations and simulations of protein folding (or mis-folding) to see how they affect a number of diseases and cancers. Obviously, it would take a lifetime of they were to do it on their own...so they're outsourcing...so to speak.

Here's how it works:
    You download their software, which receives info from their servers. Your computer (or PlayStation 3) does the calculations/simulations, and then sends the results back to Stanford. To spice things up a bit, people can join teams and compete against other teams.

Anyway, would anyone be interested in joining a BoM Folding@Home team?

(oh, and I was serious about the PS3. The CPU inside a PS3 is ideal for what F@H needs, and therefore can yield greater results, faster. :thumb: ) :rolling:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 14 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: A BoM Folding @ Home Team? (14 votes.)

Would you join and participate in a BoM Folding @ Home Team? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 43% (6)
    * No - 36% (5)
    * Just the results for me - 21% (3)

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

So, Stanford wants to use everyone's computers to do math problems? What will this do to my computer?

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    After doing a little reading I voted yes. But I am still on dial-up so do not know if this would affect anything.

Why not put my computer to some worthwhile use.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

I have a small bit of experience with what I assume is a similar program, which was called Prime 95. My dad had it on my computer when I was a kid, and it was designed to find Mersenne Primes (special kind of number). Basically what it does is takes up some of your computer's resources to make a long set of calculations, which leaves you with slightly less resources while it's running, but I'm betting they put a pause function on their program like there was on Prime 95, for those rare times when you need full computing power. Ultimately, you probably won't even notice a difference, aside from the feeling that you're contributing to a good cause.

Personally, I'm saying no. My reasons are my own, and I won't discuss them. It's nothing any of you need to worry about, though.

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'm going to side with Fel on this one and say no. Just sounds a bit unusual.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's perfectly safe and goes back years, so it's not some untested novelty. Nothing to be afraid of, in short. However, since I'm already running more background processes eating up my resources than I'd like, I've never participated in this project (or any similar ones).

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I have a PPPoE connection with a ridiculous 1 GB download/upload quota per month, which is about what I use during a month (I keep downloading to a strict minimum), and additional bandwidth is ridiculously expensive. Also, my connection is not permanant - I bring it up on-demand.

In short, no.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    So...that's 5 "No"s, 2 "Yes"s...

Any other takers? Remember, like Tal said, this project (and others like it) have been going on for years.

IIRC, F@H *does* have a pause button...so you can just stop it when you are using your computer, and then resume when you're done. I've been known to leave my computer running for up to 20 hours at a time...and 90% of that time I'm either at work or sleeping. F@H would make use of that time. :rolling:

9. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I voted yes... Why not if it helps people.

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This is certainly a worth cause and from what I've read you have several options. Some of the projects have deadlines and some don't. Although I am on dial-up my computer is on most of the time unless I am away. I plan to let F@H run at night.

11. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Yeh, im up for this, i spend most of my time on my laptop, so my desktop is sitting unused, might aswell do something useful with it.

12. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I would, but does it have a linux compatible program? And my download/upload limit is 20/10go, and I don't want to bust that limit.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.