1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Point Buy Settled?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Saaril, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Saaril Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I have been out of touch for the last couple of months and I was just wondering if in fact NWN had settled on a number for the point buy system. i had heard 25 and 30 so I just wanted to know if they had made a decision or anything. Thanks for the help. This game is going to be so awesome.

EDIT: Thanks for the help guys. You made life easy for me. Thanks again

[This message has been edited by Saaril (edited April 03, 2002).]

2. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It's almost 100% sure they'll go for 30 points. If not, then it'll be less.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

30 points is rather much... but you are of course born to become one of the big heroes of Faerun so then you indeed are rather powerful. Of course this only goes for Single Player, in Multiplayer, the DM (who created the game) can decide to play with point buy on 25 for example.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Point-buy-30 indeed sounds pretty generous - I found it difficult to build an Uberhero with point-buy-28 but eventually suceeded and got my great rogue-thief ... in PnP of course ... had he only fit in our party ... ;)

6. Silverblade Guest

30 points is too much. You can very easily make a character without penalties, which makes a character less realistic, because everybody has something they are less good at. I think they should not do more then 28 points, that way you can easily excel in something, but that means you have some penalties in another ability.

[This message has been edited by Silverblade (edited April 10, 2002).]

7. Saaril Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

why is thirty too much. with thirty points it does make it simple to have 6 scores between 10 and 16 but why not. these characters are going to be the ultimate fighters, thieves, mages etc. of the realm. so what is the problem with having good scores. maybe you can enlighten me because i am thinking that 30 is just about right.

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

dumb question ... is it 30 points unweighted like in IWD2? or is it standard penalties as you get your stats higher?

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It costs more as you buy higher. 2 for 15 and 16, 3 for 17 and 18. See Tal's nice chart on the NWN's FAQ page. For example with 30 points I make this character.

Str - 10
    Dex - 10
    Con - 11
    Int - 12
    Wis - 17
    Cha - 14

I think that is a fair PC. I think 2 10's is a fair trade for the 17.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.