1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Please excuse a newbie... and about the gems...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lady Jellybee, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Lady Jellybee Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] What are the little gem thingies? And... I'm sure to need some more help sooner or later.

2. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Welcome to SP, Jellybee.

The gems have to do with your number of posts so far, unless, like me, you buy something or otherwise contribute to SP -- then you get a custom avatar.

All this is in the FAQ near the top of the page.

Edit spelling.

[ August 10, 2002, 00:26: Message edited by: Methylviolet ]

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] And before these groovy gems there were even groovier avatars, which Tal, after a moment of insparation, decided to throw awy and put on these stupid gems :thumb:

4. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

So that long-time SP posters who yet have never bought anything or otherwise contributed to SP would be revealed. :idea:

5. Lady Jellybee Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Edit spelling? Is there something wrong with the word 'thingies?' Or... am I missing something?

[She was saying that she edited her own post for spelling. You should really read the rules/FAQ as you were asked to when you registered. - BTA]

I did read the rules, and I just now read the FAQ, but I didn't find anything about - I don't know - Notes about editing.

[ August 13, 2002, 01:45: Message edited by: Lady Jellybee ]

6. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I've been on and off Sorcerers Place for a year, but hadn't posted anything here for a few months... The last time I was here I had a nice avatar, some blue animal I think... imagine my surprise when I came back in here after my vacation and find he's replaced by a gem! :mad: :flaming:

Why, oh why are those nice avatars gone? :cry: Why are they replaced with gems? Earlier, it was so easy to see where you were in the "rank" of postings, as you started with a tiny avatar of a floating eye, and then advanced up through small, evil creeps to large, evil creeps and then to large, gorgeous creatures.... but these gems look all the same! :nolike:

They can't have been removed because of copyrights, because these gems are from the same games, and all the personal avatars are still here - so why did they take away my avatar from me?? :cry: :wail:

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Get over it already! If you really don't like the gems, or being ranked...buy something through SP, or donate some money. :rolling:

8. Blue Gems: 7/31

I have nothing against being ranked - i.e. showing how many messages you have posted - not at all, and that wasn't the point either.

But I do want to know why the avatars have changed. There must have been a reason for that.

[ August 13, 2002, 02:20: Message edited by: Blue ]

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

MethV pretty much called it.

I do wish Tal had done something just a little different on the Avatars. Like put a "Cloak of Mirroring" shadow around them, or made everyone pick a NwN portrait.

I really liked the D&D theme that was going on with the creatures. Gems are nice to sell for gold, but other than that, I keep them in a gem bag... :D

11. Blue Gems: 7/31

I'm probably terribly stupid, and in danger of being banned for this, but I still don't quite understand why the avatars changed.

I had already read the FAQ several times and had also been looking around on all the forums for explanations before I posted here, without finding an answer. And now I've followed Blackthornes link and read all the posts in Tal's thread. I've tried all I can to find this out.

In his post, Tal refers to an explanation he has put in the FAQ... but perhaps he has removed it again, because I found no explanation of avatar changes there. Only the general information about the ranking systems, and how to get personal avatars, much like it was before. Nothing new there. So where is the explanation he mentions?

The only hint I can deduct from these posts, is something about all female personal avatars were taken, so new females contributing to the site, would have none to chose from. Does that mean that the creature avatars we had were replaced with gems, so that they could be made available as personal avatars for paying customers? Is that what Tal means?

Or is it, as somebody else suggested, a way to make non-contributing members stand out more? That's ok with me, if I knew that that was the reason for the change...

(I couldn't buy myself a personal avatar anyway, no matter how much I might want to, as I'm currently unemployed, and can hardly even pay my rent, not to mention all other bills...)

So please Blackthorne or Tal or any other moderator, please don't ban me for asking this which has obviously been explained long ago when I wasn't here - but I still don't understand it, and everybody are just talking around it without actually explaining anything concrete. Why did it change?

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Though not a mod I think I can answer your question at least to a point:
    As the SP comunity grew larger, the "avatars" with creatures from the IE games became rarer and especially the lack of female avatars was a problem for the gals of SP. It also became problematic to find attractive avatars for SP's benefactors.

Adding the portraits from NWN and giving the gems to the "normal" users and the avatars/ portraits to users who contribute adressed this shortcoming. The standing out of the crowd is just a nice sideffect - at least I don't know of anyone who complained about the lack of that earlier :D

And as for the widely heared complaint "Tal took my avatar away and gave a me puny gem instead!" - that's rubbish - having a gem now means you never had an individual avatar, just a "spam indicator" - and that function is served just as well with gems, and more flexible too.

[ August 13, 2002, 12:34: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You couldn't have read the FAQ very well if you managed to miss this: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html#edit

Anyway, Ragusa explained it pretty much. The basic reasons why the regular avatars were removed and replaced with gems is

a) to make contributing members a bit more special since avatars and portraits are reserved solely for them
    b) to negate the sexual discrimination (silly, but an issue for some people) due to all the monster avatars being male
    c) to create a different ranking system for non-contributing members that would still make sense and be separate from the avatars & portraits

In short, this works out for everyone. Anyway, custom avatars and portraits have even been given to people who've bought a single book through the links on SP. That's about a 25 cent contribution since I only get 5% of the sale most of time. And I really, really believe that everyone can spare that much, or donate a buck via PayPal. There is no base limit to how much you need to contribute to earn a custom avatar or portrait, anything goes basically.

If you think that's unfair, you have that right. But the bottom line is, I need to pay $150 for the server costs alone every month, and I don't get half of the necessary money via all the forms of advertising on SP. It all boils down to how much the people here are willing to contribute to help me cover the costs. Donations and buying through the links on SP are a way for people to help me pay the bills every month. And I believe it's more than fair to give a little something extra to those few people who literally allow dozens of others here to "play for free". If it weren't for them, I'd be paying for the server out of my pocket every month.

14. Blue Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Thanks guys, for spelling it out in plain text for me. I appreciated that. And now that I see the reason for the change, it seems perfectly just and fair, and I have no problem with it whatsoever. It actually seems quite smart to replace with gems, so the ranking system would still survive.

I highly appreciate the work you do, Tal, and it makes this site stand out - I've been to similar sites, but they don't have half the standard of this one. I also understand why you need people to contribute financially, and I would really have liked to myself - and there are both books and games I really would like to buy from this site - but I can't just yet, not until I get a job and some income, so I can pay my bills. But when I do, I'll come running, I promise. In the meantime, I hope those who appreciate your site and can afford it, will help you out. It would be very sad if the site had to close down.

15. Tomi Grin Undergallows Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] hi, i'm new to the net let alone online buying. is sorcerers place a safe place to use to buy things online????? or could i get my account hacked or sumfin???

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    :wave: Well, welcome to the boards first :wave:

Actually SP is not exactly the place where you buy stuff. However, you can use the links to Amazon and other online shops here on SP to buy stuff there online. That way SP will get a little support and you help to finance this great site. Looking at it that way, SP is THE place on the web to start buying books and games online ;)

[ August 13, 2002, 20:38: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] SP is basically just an affiliate of the stores you actually buy from. So in fact you buy from Amazon or Chips & Bits etc. SP only lists the relevant products and links to them at Amazon. By following the links on SP you are taken to these stores (Amazon etc.), and if you buy something following a link on SP, we get a small commission. So it's 100% safe (have you heard of anyone complain against Amazon yet?), convenient and doesn't cost any more than it would if you didn't go through the links on SP. So you're basically helping out SP at no extra cost to yourself.

[ August 13, 2002, 22:41: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

18. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

My god i love newbies :love:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.