1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Planets made of diamond

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Apr 17, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Some of those extrasolar planets may be made partly of pure diamond, according to research. When gas and dust containing lots of carbon is packed, the pressure can produce the resulting graphite into diamond beneath the surface of the planet. Here's a bit more on this:

The rest is at nature.com. Have a nice read. ;)

2. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Most of extrasolar planets are gas giants.Only a little part of them are rock planets like Earth.And I think the resources on that planets are useless for now

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, the beings who live there might have different opinions. :p

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

What's better to fuel space-expedition than human greed? Perhaps this gives some extra money to ESA if the right eyes read that. Next in turn: planets made of oil :money: :money: :money:

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As soon as you have a resource with limited practical application (i.e. jewellery for larger diamonds mostly), it'll only keep a high price for as long as it's relatively hard to obtain and there aren't enormous quantities of it. Lately the process of making artificial diamonds has been perfected to the point where experts are no longer able to distinguish real ones from manufactured ones, and consequently the prices are going down. There will always be the prestige of owning real diamonds, but when manufactured ones can be made just as perfect as the real thing, no one is going to be able to tell who's wearing real ones and who's wearing fakes. And manufactured ones cost significantly less.

Anyway, my point is, if you suddenly had a gigantic amount of diamonds available, they'd lose most of their value. So a planet made of diamond would theoretically be priceless, but practically worthless.

Same with gold, really. It only has such a high monetary value because it is a rare commodity.

6. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Interestingly enough, diamonds aren't as rare as you might think. Their price is high because their supply is purposely kept low by a cartel in Africa. I think it was even De Beers. Other gemstones are actually rarer.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah, diamonds are actually not that rare and the price is mostly due to De Beers controlling the supply and doing some pretty effective marketing over the years.

Whenever a new diamond find happens De Beers instantly contacts whomever has the mineral rights and buys them out or recruits them into the cartel - otherwise the price would fall through the floor.

Back in the 90s there was big concern that Russia was going to try to make some quick cash by dumping diamonds on the market but De Beers managed to persude the government that the cartel was the way to go.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, yes, in the end it doesn't really matter if the resource is limited artificially, the end result is the same.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    :doh: And I'm the fool who goes and buys the real thing. Even experts can't tell the difference? I feel so... used.

10. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    @charlie
    Have you been reading Clive Cussler's book Shockwave? becuase i know he specifically mentions that fact :p

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, the marketing has been fantastic. They've turned a crystal that is really only useful for its hardness in industrial applications and turned it into a must-have fashion item that you'll pay through the nose for. Brilliant!

12. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

@Dalveen,

No, I haven't. I took it up as a case study in business school a few years back. I will look into Shockwave. It sounds interesting.

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Most extrasolar planets discovered have been gas giants, but that's because our sensor technology could only pick up gas giants until recently. The new Huygens telescope has only been online a year or two and it's already found several "Earth-like" planets - meaning more solid bodies and not gas giants.

I predict we're going to discover a lot more as time goes on. Maybe even a few with critters on them!

14. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Actually a very good Master Jeweller can tell the difference between real and artifical diamonds and other gemstones. However there is only about a dozen of these people and they can only tell because an artifical gem is flawless. There is no such thing as a real flawless gem. The imperfections might be almost microscopic but they are there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  15. Taluntain

Media:
    No, actually they can't any more. I read an article on this just recently. The latest manufactured diamonds are identical to the real thing, imperfections and all. Only the machines used in creating them are not publicly available yet, IIRC. But they gave the manufactured ones to several experts and they all proclaimed them to be real.

16. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    A new trend from the US has finally reached Denmark. A company takes the ashes of your dead wife/husbond/relative/pet/whatever you want, filters and compresses these ashes and 4 months later you have a diamond made from the ashes of your loved ones. Hmmmm.....
    Kindda morbid, I think....

17. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yulaw—not really morbid. They may simply discard the ashes, and buy a factory-made diamond. Voila, instant cash for them, and how are you going to ever know?

18. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Yes, but the idea itself is rather ghoulish, is it not?

19. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yeah, it is, but from what I hear, lifetime diamonds (IIRC, that's what they are called) are making a killing…

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ho ho ho, toughluck, you comedian.

Anyway, how big a diamond do you get from the carbon in a normal human?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.