1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Planescape Torment v. Other Games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Tiana, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Tiana Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I figured that this post fits in this forum better than anywhere else...

Torment is the best game I have ever played (yes, I even have the tattoo that all the most obsessed fans get) and I want to find other games that are similar in terms of story quality (sanitarium, etc.) and gameplay style (obviously, BG series). Any recommendations?

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If you want games with a really good story I would recomend older games. They are longer, better stories in them. BUT they have poorer graphics and sound of course.

As for newer games I think Kotor 1 might be a good choice for you. And Vampire the masquerade 2. If you wish a list of older really good rpg`s PM me and I will give you one.

3. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The only games i know of that seem to get ranked on a similar level to Planescape Torment is Fallout 1 +2 and Arcanum so check those out. Tried fallout 1 and Arcanum myself, and like them alot. Curentlly trying to get myself around to play Arcanum once more (and perhaps even finish it this time, its humongous!).

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think it's impossible to find a game that is similar in story quality. The only games that come close are Ultima VII (Black Gate and Serpents Isle), but the graphic are quite outdated. I've heard Knights of the Old Republic is quite good, the same goes for Arcanium and Deus Ex.

I'm with raptor on this -- Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 were two of the best games I've ever played. The Fallout saga was even more enjoyable than the BG saga to play -- but the storyline is not as good.

5. Tiana Gems: 3/31

Ah, yeah, thanks. I've played Fallout 2 and Arcanum; they were both good. I'll check out the Ultimas, though.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    If you like the originality and want something unique, Arcanum is a good choice. Once you get past the interface, it's a great game with a story that's not as predictable as it first seems.

To be honest, nothing compares with Torment though (IMHO, the BG saga comes nowhere near)

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Betrayal at Krondor was a damn fine game I recall. Right up there with the BG and ultima games in my opinion.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Betrayal at Krondor was good and is available as freeware or abandonedware.

These are basically story games where there is no hack and slash element:

Gabriel Knight -- I only played the first and it was quite good.

The Dig was another good story game.

Zork -- anything Zork. Interesting games.

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    BaK was my first computer RP but now you can only play it if you DosBox it or something similar. The graphics are very old but it broke my heart that they never did a sequel. NO RtK was not a sequel.

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

They did make a similar one called Batrayal in Antara I remember. Was just like BaK but the story wasn`t so good. It was on 4 or 6 cd`s I remember, wich was BIG at the time.

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    True Rawgrim, I have it but I cried when Goreth..no that wasn't his name..the dark elf, died. I wanted to go rescue him and Padrick (the mage) (sp?).

I like Planescape:Torment. It is a more sophisticated game with good graphics and a good story.

I would recommend Arcanum. There is a character editor that makes it possible for you to take control of the NPC's development. Taking control of the fighting is a little harder but can be done. I love that game.Although I have never been able to play as anything but a good guy/gal.

12. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

YEah it was kind of not-groovy when Gorath and Patrus died, but hey it did make the story much better. There is also a book called Betrayal at Krondor by the way. Written by Ray Fiest, who has also written lots of other books about some of the main characters in the game. Good read I must admit.

There is also a damn good remake of Ultima 5 available for free online. Better graphics in it than neverwinter nights 1 actually, and way better music.

13. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I, too, will recommend Arcanum. The U.I can be a bit problematic, but the story has some very surprising twists that separate it from the ordinary "Kill the Evil Lord"-games.

14. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Fallout 1 & 2 are great, as mentioned, and Arcanum.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines also deserves some credit. The game is great. The story (and also very much the underlying story) is deep, you get to develop your character pretty much however you want, and you have a lot option in the game about which side to choose. The game can also be quite scary at times, they've really done a good job with that.

I definetly recommend the game.

15. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

The Quest for glory series is really good too. First game that let you import your character I belive. More humorous than the others though.

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Check out Geneforge 1&2 - Geneforge 3 probably isn't worth your time.

These games are more analogous to the Fallout series than Ps:T though. I've yet to find anything that even remotely approaches Ps:T's approach to gaming.

Fallout and Arcanum are very good ideas (Fallout being a better idea than Arcanum - as Arcanum has some massive problems).

Edit: I've played neither of these, but I'm under the impression that they have very good stories: The Longest Journey and Psychonauts. Maybe someone else can give some better advice on them...

17. Tiana Gems: 3/31

The Longest Journey was good. I heard Vampire Masquerade had a lot of bugs though...

18. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I don't exactly know why but I found the Longest Journey to be just bad and this is coming from a die-hard fan of adventure games. For some reason I really did not get it, nor did I find it very enjoyable. It had its good moments and was not all bad but I was still in the end extremely disappointed after all the good things I had heard about the game. I might give the game a new chance at some point though, I've forgotten most of it by now anyway.

EDIT: To all Fallout fans I'd suggest Jagged Alliance 2, it's not directly an RPG and is heavily strategy oriented but the battles are very similar and atleast I got a "wow it's almost like fallout" feeling while playing it, and it is by all accounts and excellent game. Some of the mercenaries are simply unforgettable, Ivan being my favorite all the way from Jagged Alliance 1. ;)

EDIT2: Unless you have allready tried it there is a wonderful version of Star Control 2 made to work on modern machines. The game is excellent and the dialogue can be compared to torment, in fact I do think the game has one of the best written dialogues (Torment being number 1 in this though) in gaming history and I strongly suggest checking it out. Here's a link for the project site: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

It's really too bad that if you want good stories the only way to look is in the past, you can't really find newer games with good stories or atleast it's very rare. :(

[ December 08, 2006, 09:49: Message edited by: Morgoroth ]

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

This means its free for download, right? The whole game? Could you pm me a download link please :)

20. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Quest for glory series. great combination of Adventure, Crpg, humor and great stories. All five games are great, but part 1 and 4 really stands out for me. and the fact that you can import your character through all five games, is great.

Gabriel Knight, all three games are great. the second game (the beast within) uses a very wierd aproch, since it dosn't use computer graphic but real pictures and movie sequenses, non the less its a great game, great story about werewolves.

Indiana jones, seriusly if you can get your hands on the last crusade (the pc adventure one) and the fate of atlantis, do it. Both are great adventure games. while not having the depth of torment, they are still both deep and have great stories.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.