1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Phobias

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Shoshino, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Well, as many of you will know by the organ donation thread in Aols i have tomophobia and it has a massive effect on my life. I cannot watch medical dramas on TV, i cannot even talk about surgery... discussion in the other thread i started makes me feel very unconfortable and when researching organ donation i made myself sick. i currently require surgery to mend and reshape my nose after it was broken, which i have refused and ive even sought professional help from 2 therapists in an attempt to make me go through with it and prepare me for the day when i may need life altering surgery. they got nowhere with me. so someday this phobia could mean my untimely demise.

im sure im not the only one here who suffers with a phobia. so:

who has what?
    how serious is it?
    how much of an effect does it have on your life?
    how do you get by (if at all)?

2. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I might have a mild agoraphobia, but I hide it well.

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Arachnophobia, I run to another room screaming when I see spiders, then wash my hair and change my clothes, fearing there might be other spiders somewhere.
    Then I ask someone else to get rid of the spider screaming:"KILL IT!"

This one I hate: I have a mild aquaphobia; fear of water, I can't swim anything else than backstroke. When I try 'normal' swimming,I see the water, I freak out and it seems hard to breathe.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    phobia-free, here

5. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am a cynophobe. It's rather difficult thing to have when your girlfriend has two dogs that she loves to have with her at all times.

It's pretty severe, I guess. When I come across dogs, even if they are across a park, it takes all of my will-power to not run far, far away, though I imagine running far away would be better than freezing in a cold sweat, shaking and trying to not cry. I even get like that when I hear keys rattling or metal bracelets because, to me, they sound like a dog collar that has a name tag on it. Sad, I know.

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Phobia-free here, also. Never been able to understand phobias since I've always led a life of logic and an irrational fear is just so hard to understand for me.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Like Abomination, I do find phobias difficult to understand, but lots of people seem to have them, so it sometimes feels abnormal not to have one. Maybe I can find a cool one I can have.

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I haven't been in any traumatic situation that gives me a phobia. I'm wary of dogs, but seeing a dog in the park doesn't impair my skills to carry on a conversation at the same time.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I take it you were being sarcastic here, HB :p But you're touching on a subject that's been picking at my mind... do people develop and nuture their own phobias as some sort of personal requirement? Are phobias a way of seeking attention?

To me a phobia is just... well... stupid. Why be afraid of something that the massive majority of the world is never harmed by?

I saw some Opra/Rikky-type show awhile ago where they brought on some girl who had a phobia of pickles... PICKLES! You know? Small green vegetables... now how the hell can you be afraid of pickles? They're inanimate! They're not going to crawl up your nose while you sleep and lay their eggs in your brain. Yet somebody brought out a plate of pickles and the girl went totally nuts, ran out of the studio and tried to hide behind a curtain. In reaction to a vegetable that has had no recorded history of ever harming somebody... unless you choke on one I guess or maybe an allergy? But that's no reason to run at the sight of one.

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Very slight aquaphobia. (I think it's a cat thing.) All it means is that cold showers or washing my hair in the sink result in me hyperventilating. Not enough to pass out, but a fear rush when washing your hair is rather unpleasant, not to mention embarrassing.

Of course it's stupid. Most people with phobias even admit it's stupid; noone likes to be afraid, especially of everyday things. But the whole point of a phobia is that although they don't want to be afraid of something, they are, they can't help it. Once it gets seated in the brain, that phobia takes over in those specific situations.

Regarding that pickle thing, it's likely she may have been molested when she was younger, either with a pickle or...something else that size and shape. :bad: Traumatic past experiences are a common trigger for the development of phobias. It's sort of a side-shoot of the survival instinct.

11. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

phobia-free as well

12. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sociophobia. It's quite serious and hampers me a great deal. I'm working on it, though.

13. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I am Claustrophobic. I fear small spaces.

It is a pretty strong problem for me and strikes at some very wierd times. Like I can not close the door to my half-bathroom in my house. The room is small enough that I bump at least two of the walls when washing my face or using the toilet. If I close the door I start to sweat, then I get jittery and scared. I had trouble riding the Tubes in London during rush hours. I start breathing very hard and sweating. I had to always stand and hold the handrails so I could lift myself up to get air. There were many times I wanted to start pushing and punching people just to get a little space around me. I was once riding in a van going to church and had to have the driver pull over so I could get out because I started sweating and couldn't breathe. I even have nightmares about being trapped and will wake up in sweat and breathing as if I just ran a race.

Luckily, most of the time I can control it. I strive to stay out of "close quarters" as much as possible. I continue to travel all over but I have to be able to focus myself in other ways. When I was in the London underground, my wife would press herself against me and wisper in my ear. No, she wouldn't be doing anything elicit, it just helped keep me calm. Sometimes I have to close my eyes and talk to myself to get through, I know I must look wierd or suspicious to some people. If I can focus on a specific task or thought then I can at least get through the situation that has me in a tight spot, usually.

I know it is irrational and believe me when I say people who truely have phobias don't want them.

14. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    How about a homicidapsychopathophobia, or homicidasociopathophobia? I bet everyone with any sense would have that :mommy: :D

edit: well allright, let's make that most of the people, since there are cops and other brave people who aren't scared of those

edit II: sorry, I just couldn't help myself, this should've gone to the hypocondriac heaven -thread...moderators? Do us all a favor and remove this 'nothing' and put it there, if you please. Thank you...

Sorry about that...

15. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Mild sociophobia here. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "real" phobia though, because I can keep it under control most of the time. I just find it very unpleasant to be around too many people.

16. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Pretty sure I am phobia free. Closest thing is probably a mild fear of heights. I have done sky tower in Auckland and stood on the glass up there and have been on the roofs of some sky scrapers looking over the edge but if I can feel what I am standing on moving, like a tall ladder, then I start to get a bit jittery.

17. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i would go as far as to call all phobias irrational, spiders kill people, people drown, people fall to their deaths - to some extent i suppose they can irrational, but to another extent there is reason behind some of them.

also, i dont know if i would describe a phobia as a fear, its something very different im afraid of getting burnt, but that wout keep me away from a hot object, but if you had a phobia of being burnt, you wouldnt be going anywhere near that frying pan.

also, phobias play tricks on your mind, i have a friend who is claustraphobic, and as wiley one can probably agree on he feels like he is going to get trapped and crushed inside a small space, and when he is in a small space, he feels as if the roof is getting lower. ive seen him cowering in a corner in a public toilets before trying to make himself as small as possible until i came in wondering where he was and broke that hallucination.

with me, you talk about an operation and i have countless thoughts about things falling out and not being put back right, the thought that stitches will burst open and my innards will spill everywhere, when i think about it my body starts trying to convince me that there is something wrong inside, i feel cramps and pains, i hear sounds coming from it i notice lumps that arent really there... etc..
    and that is a short sum up

18. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I guess I have a bit of a fear to get sick, and a slight fobia of being out on deep water.

19. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I'm not sure whether it counts as a phobia, but needles really get to me.

I have memories of having a nurse inject me when I wasn't looking becuse I was taking so long to get comfortable when I was young. More recently, an entire group of them sat on me during the TB vaccinations because I kept edging away whenever the needle came close.

*shudder*

20. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Not really,

Like TBA, I have a mild dislike of heights, mostly of the man-made variety. However, I've mostly overcome it by facing it head on (Bungee off cranes, popping up tall buildings - HCBS, Canary Wharf, Telecom tower) in London as part of the job)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.