1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Petrol Prices

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's cost me 98.9p a litre today for Unleaded petrol.

After hearing the news just now that Oil has risen around the world to an alltime high then I expect it to break the £1 barrier very soon.

It's getting to the stage now where it costs me £35+ to fill up my car, and I only have a little 1.1l. I'm sure our prices must be near the highest in the world

Petrol strikes this summer perhaps?

2. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Good to hear we don't have the most expensive petrol here in Poland :p

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Petrol prices are revolting. Even if I drop 50 bucks of gas in my S-10, it's not even halfway full! Last time I dropped some gas in it, the charming price was 1.22$/L. Ridiculous. But sometimes I'm glad to have a 6 cylinders instead of a V8. :heh:

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Undertaker, why do you think so many germans cross the border to Poland to get their gasoline there?

I own no car myself, but last time I checked the prices, their were steadily rising towards 1,40 Euros.

The best reason to use your bicycle more often...

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

I'm so glad to live in the US. We'll never get up to $1 per litre (at least in Wisconsin). Most complain about $3 a gallon when a gallon is ~3.75 litres but I never do anymore, not after hearing stuff like this. ;)

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's gone up to about NZ$1.68 a litre here. When I got my first car, it used to cost about $20 to fill it up. Now it regularly costs more than $70 to fill.

The prices are definitely high enough to impact my habits. For example, I catch the bus to work, and I seldom visit shopping centres other than the one that is closest to home.

7. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    We like driving for fun, so it costs alot more than it would do if we were careful. The car costs about £30-£40 to fill up the tank

I guess we can look forward to petrol shortages again then *sigh*

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Well, the futures price for oil just hit $72 a barrel. I'm predicting $88 a barrel by the end of the summer. If it does indeed get that high, then you can kiss under $4.50/gallon goodbye.

Europe will have it even worse because your taxes are a lot higher than ours here in the States.

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well, if the price is high enough, more people will try to save gas or buy low-consumpitve vehicles. I hope.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Exactly, Fabius. Which is why I never complain about petrol prices. The price is what it is. If you want to spend less, find a way to use less. It's all going to run out one day anyway, so you're going to have to learn to live without it sooner or later.

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hopefully they'll (or me, when I'm older ;) ) make something that runs on things other than gas that is efficient, cheap, and easily made/distributed.

Its almost 3 bucks a gallon here. $2.85, I think. So thats... [calculating]... $.75 per liter... .61 euros... woah, you guys have it bad, if it is 1 euro/liter.

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hell...this is going to make me sounds really old, but I can clearly remember a time not too long ago when gas prices hit a rock bottom of $0.98 per gallon! :eek: My dad freaked and bought several 5gal gas cans and filled them up because he knew the price would go back up to about $1.25 a week or two later. :p

Here in UT, the price per gallon is hovering about $2.50. They expect it to go past the $3.50 mark this summer... :grr: Gas is generally cheaper here than in CA for some reason. I mean, CA has the ports from which the crude oil comes from...and it's more expensive there? :confused:

What was that story in the news about the major gas companies boasting a 1.4Bilion profit? That's absured! :flaming: Where's a sniper for hire when you need some CEO reform? :p :rolling:

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    The current averrage price of gas in Finland is 1.346€/liter. that's, what, 6.25$/gallon?

THis is one of those times when I am v. glad about my bicycle...

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    we're at $3+/gal for regular here - too bad the car that requires premium is the one that gets more mileage these days. :( This might nix the roadtrip to my niece's graduation, too. :( :(

15. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

5 years later, we are going to have a major world war 3 for oil, aka the enegy war. People are going to fight each other just for oil that can last them for .... another few years. The countries that doesn't have or cannot get oil are going to perish. No transportation = no communication = nothing in and out. At that time, our physcial communication is going to be limited at short range. Airplanes, cruisers, etc will be all useless. To get exotic products, one will need to go to the habour where there are ships with sails. We are going to die in 5 years.

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I wouldn't bet on that happening in the United States.

Bah! That's a ten percent profit margin... the same thing that every other company made last year!

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    But the United States have nothing to moan about at the minute re 'gas' prices. It's approx. $3/gallon I gather there at the minute. That's well cheap in comparison to what we pay (approx. $1.60 per litre, litre > gallon is approx 3.75).

They still pay a lot, but not much when compared to Europe.

18. Saber

We just need to find alternative solutions, such as getting the **** rid of SUVs and Hummers, getting oil-hungry leaders out of power, and using light/wind to power our homes, so we can have more time to convert vehicles.

But of course, that won't happen. Those damn oil companies love their money.

19. Harbourboy

We're not necessarily going to die. But life as we currently know it will certainly have to change.

That is so not the issue. It's not the oil companies that make you drive a big car. It's not the oil companies that make you take a job on the other side of town. It's not the oil companies that make you fly halfway around the world to go on holiday. It's not the oil companies that make you buy imported DVD players. The oil companies sell you petrol because you want to buy it.

20. Saber

Yes, but they also try to make more of a profit than they should. I agree that we make our own decisions, but they don't need to make us pay so much. Cut the prices by a little, and yes, the CEOs might not be able to buy their sportscars (which, by the way, get the worst mileage ;) ), but at least people can get their fuel.

Of course, SUVs are one of the biggest problems, and I am completely against them (if it were up to me, they would be banned, recycled, and made into something useful)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.