1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PETAphiles

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Cúchulainn, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] No-one is more concerned than the welfare of animals than I am, but I still find PETA very annoying with their stupid publicity stunts such as bribing a small US town named 'Slaughterville'(to change their name) with $20,000 worth of 'veggie burgers' for schools, as the town name promotes the 'slaugher of animals', when actually the town was named after its founder who had the name 'Slaughter' and also having a scantily clad couple french kissing on a sidewalk to promote eating vegatables!

It also seems that they euthanised over 6000 animals, without even trying to find homes for them:

http://www.wpxi.com/news/4639810/detail.html

Surely these animals could have been saved, if they did not concentrate on tacky publicity stunts? What does everyone else think of PETA? Are they in it for the fame and fortune, or do you really think they care about animals?

[ June 23, 2005, 13:25: Message edited by: Cesard the Fir Bolg ]

2. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I presume they bribed the town to change it's name? You didn't actually say.

Have you a link to the slaughterville story? The other one was the put-to-sleep story.

[ June 23, 2005, 13:37: Message edited by: Carcaroth ]

3. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I could not find the exact link I was talking about, but try this one:

http://www.reflector-online.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/02/20/4036815e33682

They are also sexist bastards, dehumanizing women, just so they can appeal to hormonal teens and men that cannot get themselves a partner.

Excellent links Darkwolf, just goes to show you that they are a business like any other.

5. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Right. And the the people behind the links Darkwolf provided are the Center for Consumer Freedom, "a group which represents the interests of the food, alcohol and tobacco industries", and "opposes industry critical scientists, doctors, health advocates, environmentalists and groups such as [...] the American Medical Association, [...] the Center for Disease Control and Prevention [...]" (from Wikipedia).

Sorry, Cesard, from the article you link to:

I fail to see that they did not try to find homes for them.

Granted, they go overboard from time to time (the stuff about Slaughterville is dumb) but they are not that bad.

6. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Oh come on. Did you see the comics that those nut jobs give to kids? Your Mommy Kills Animals. Its just sick.

And as for the argument that they tried to find homes for all of the animals they killed:

And:

Now really, I think that they go to far. Not only are they hypocritical, but they also have the most asinine goals.

In short, this group consists of a minority who is trying to inflict its veiws on the majority, while at the same time being hypocrital and crude.

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

PETA are a bunch of idiots. Take a look at thie: http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=34479 :lol:

I have never liked their antics. And if they think that they are going to rid all use or consumption of animals/animal products then they need to get their collective heads checked.
    ROTFLMAO! :shake: :grin:

8. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

PETA...?...at first I was thinking that you are talking about PITA... ;) ...

9. Alehldean

Alehldean For humanity's sake, please keep all appendages

That comic was sick. I've never had any respect for PETA what-so-ever, but they just keep suprising me with their new schemes to get publicity.

Offering a town $15,000 in veggie burgers to change its name to Veggieburg? It would cost more than that just to change everything in the town that had the old name on it. It's just retarded. Especially since Hamburg is named after the German city of the same name, not the meat. Idiots. They're all just a bunch of hypocritical ****ing morons.

I still want to know when they'll insist on stopping animals from hurting each other and insisting that even animals such as lions live on grass alone. :rolleyes:

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    If you like animal rights, join the Humane Society.

PETA's just a collection of nutters.

11. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Well, PETA is never going to achieve all their aims, granted. (One could argue that trying to get any significant portion of people to give up meat is a fool's errand :) ) But they have the right to state their viewpoint in public, and try to convince people (free speech, and all that).

I would not even say it is desirable that they get all they want. For example, I have no problem with hunting wildlife. But some stuff is desirable (like stopping certain experiments on animals, making sure that the livestock providers are held to certain standards, etc.) So I think they play a certain role.

As to the methods they use: some of them might be objectionable. I too found that comic disturbing. However, let's say that I am a little bit leery of its provenance. As I mentioned above, I think the Center for Consumer Freedom is hardly an uninterested party in this matter. WorldNetDaily does not inspire much trust either. How about some mainstream media (yes, the liberal one :) ) stories?

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I thought the tabacco industry hurt animals so I fail to see how wool is cruel and tabacco is not?

If sheep were not shorn, they would die of disease and trauma, its more cruel not so sheer sheep!

13. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

If any farm animals weren't used for their produce, meat, milk, eggs, wool, they would very quickly become extinct as a species.

14. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Heh, that does say some things about our society, doesn't it ? :) We value only what we can eat ... :)

Really, now, nobody says do not eat farm animals (or use their produce). However, it is really desirable to grow chicken crammed 50 together in a 10ft by 10ft box (and cut their beaks so they don't pick on each other, etc.) I would say our desire for cheap meat has led to some disturbing developements.

Free range chicken taste much better too :)

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I see these people as spoiled rich kids who never grew up. There are SO many more important things to deal with in the world today. I firmly believe that "charity begins at home", and before these PETA idiots try to change everyone elses eating habits, they should clean up their rooms and help Mom with the dishes.

I also think that they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law when they break the law (as in breaking into research facilities and "freeing" the animals, or assaulting people wearing fur by throwing red paint on them.) They may have the right to hold passionate views and express them, but the fact they hold such views does not give them the right to commit crimes.

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    World record in idiocy IMO hold some German animal rights activists who 'liberated' poor enslaved American minks from a fur farm somewhere in Bavaria.

Once freed, the agressive species escaped into a wildlife resort where they completely wiped out the local population of approx 8 or so rare bird species and wreaked havoc and not even intensive hunting in reaction could really exterminate them and make up for the damage caused already.

Treat animals with respect, ever, but don't make them equal to man - they aren't. I told as much to every animal rights activists I have yet met, and sofar I haven't been impressed by their responses.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

You're bang on the money, Ragusa (holy crap we agree on something!) I broke up with a girl once because she loved her pets more than me; I refuse to play second fiddle to a cat. I'd never ask her to choose between something she loved and me, but it was pretty clear where her loyalties lay.

I really hate seeing the sticker on some houses "pets are people too". I feel like spray painting "NO THEY"RE NOT, YOU IDIOT!" on their houses, but my rules about not letting personal feelings incite crime apply to me as well, so I refrain.

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

There is nothing wrong from protesting to shut down cruel orginisations, but the tacky stunts that PETA pull are just for show, and from what I observe, they care about the mighty '$' over anything else.

19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Check this out! I was just reading the local paper online and saw this little piece of stupidity I thought I'd share with you folks:

"Swimming Vegetables"? WTF? Utterly and completely ridiculous.

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I didn't realize I could get a poodle burger at a dog show. Damn, I've got to stop eating those hamburgers and get me some grilled poodle!!!

Bunch of idiots.

Too bad about it, because about 1/20 of what they have to say may have some value, but it's lost in the rest of the garbage they spout.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.