1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PC Game lists

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sydax, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I don't have a powerful computer so I have to be away from much of the new games around so I search around the web for some older games.
    So, do you know a site with some lists? Maybe the kind of download.com, in which you can find some pics of the game, because I bought some games just for the name just to not be able to play it or they were real bad.

2. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

the-underdogs.org is a great site for older games. Also places like Gamespot and IGN go back several years now.

3. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You can try Abandonia if you want to download old DOS games.
    Also, you could go to Mobygames if you want some lists, it's got quite a lot of games there.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I tend to do the same thing -- I don't feel the need for the latest and greatest technology and am usually a few years behind on games (read between the lines -- I'm cheap).

Gamespot, IGN and GameBanshee have a good listing of older games. Gamefaqs archives and links reviews (both from players and articles) -- you may want to check there when you have a game picked out to see what others say about it. Avault.com actually lists system requirements.

What type of computer do you have? There are a few user made programs letting you play Ultima VII in windows (The Black Gate and Serpent's Isle). Certainly check out Fallout and Fallout II (if you can play Baldur's Gate you should have no problems with either of these).

5. Sydax Gems: 19/31

I have a notebook, is kind of new but the it has onboard graphic card so that's the biggest problem. But I can play many games.
    What I am looking for is alternatives, I already played BG and Fallout games, even Nevrwinter, I am re-playing Diablo 2 LOD and some racing games, so I want to try some other, the ones no 'so famous'.

Links are great, now I have a very wide selection of game to choose. Thanks.

6. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Here's a good site if you like adventure games.

It has screenshots and comments about a whole lot of adventure games.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It really depends on the genre you're looking for. If you want adventure games, mostly anything by LucasArts is very good. Particular recommendations go to Monkey Island 1 & 2, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, The Dig, and Grim Fandango. Some of Sierra's stuff is great, particularly Gabriel Knight, Space Quest, Quest for Glory, and Leisure Suit Larry if you're looking for something "different".

If it's good RPGs you're after, you might want to try the Might and Magic series (3 and up are not so horrendously outdated), or Ultima 7 (if you're up for something unique, try Ultima 4. There's a graphic patch that makes it far more pleasing to the eyes).

I suppose FPS and simulation games are off, since they need good 3D acceleration.

Home of the Underdogs (see Sparhawk's post) is a very comprehensive database of "not so famous" games. Picking any of the "Hall of Belated Fame" entries will likely result in an excellent game.

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    It would be much easier to recommend games if we had your system specs.

That said, X-Com's a pretty safe choice.

9. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Is a laptop, P4 2.4Ghz, 512RAM; the problem is the onboard graphic card: Radeon IGP 345M 64MB; the thing is that I can play most of the games that are not much demmanding, like EA games, even though I can play Medal of Honor but I got bored of games like that; I like racing games but I got to stay away from, like I said, EA games because they are sooo system eating, not like Codemaster's games, but I played almost all of them (racing games).
    Yesterday I bought Red Alert, I love this game, much more than the rest of the saga and one of these days I'll buy Starcraft & Broodwar; I'm looking for a tennis game also but there are not many around (or I didn't look right).
    Well, for now I have Red Alert, Winning Eleven 8, Sports Car GT and Diablo 2 (just got the new patch that's why I'm playing it again) but sometimes I just get bored too soon of them because, I guess, I played them so many times...
    Thanks for those links and the information.

10. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

half life 1 if you havent tried it before...slick game but not so good graphics.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.