1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Patches

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by The Great Snook, Jan 11, 2010.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    This may be a stupid question, but are there any patches to this game and if so is there an automatic updater?

I just loaded this game, and I haven't seen or heard of any and this is disturbing to me as I'm not used to a PC game working out of the box :D

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
  3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'm still using 1.01 as I like Cone of Cold to be overpowered :p The game is remarkably clean and bug-free considering the general state of games in the past decade or so (they tend towards unplayable most of the time... and that's after patching!). Unfortunately even 1.02 hasn't fixed the memory leak and loading times will still become incredibly long as you advance. I'm about 3/4th of the way through and loading times have gone from 2-5 seconds to about half a minute. There have been mentions of them getting up to 2 minutes or more depending on the system configuration.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm at the office so I can't check. How do you determine which version you have? I'm stunned that there isn't an automatic updater and that you have to go to a website to download a patch. That seems so 90s.

5. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I think you can go to Configure option on the start up screen of the disk (autorun screen?) to check the game version. One of the panels has the versions listed.

6. Caradhras

Media:
    The game runs really smoothly and I've only found a few bugs (nothing that a save and reload wouldn't solve). That's rare enough to be pointed out.

I don't have such a bad memory problem even later in the game. You should try exiting the program and launching it again since memory leaks get worse the longer you play.

1.02 does tweak some spells but it also seems to make regeneration a bit faster.

Cone of Cold (and a few other spells) were broken. People seem to complain about Mages being overpowered but there's no point complaining about it if you're going to use cheesy tactics. At least the latest patch fixes some of it.

I've played a bit with a new mage character and even without going for Cone of Cold it's incredibly easy (especially if you don't bother too much about friendly fire... It's not like your party members were going to stay dead anyway and as long as everyone else get caught up in the area of effect it doesn't matter).

I was playing on Hard wih my rogues and warriors and I had to turn up the difficulty to Nightmare with my mage to be able to enjoy the game.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Am I the only one who thinks it is odd that the game doesn't have an automatic check for updates?

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, I thought it was odd given games I have bought since NWN had auto-updaters.

I knew there was a patch or two when I got the game as a present this Christmas, and so expected there to be an "Update" button somewhere on the UI to patch the game. Didn't find it anywhere so went to the DA:O site to find out how to patch it and was surprised that it was the old manual download and patch routine.

I find it especially strange given how the downloadable content works in the game...

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Yes you are :p
    Kidding. Personally I never use auto-updating ever since the NWN one destroyed my installation, and I had to reinstall the game about 3 times before I found out there was a bug with that particular version. With other games I've had the autoupdater simply not work, so I just don't bother with them anymore. Besides the nice thing about manually updating is that I can pick and choose exactly which version of the game I want, an essential thing with say getting a specific mod to run in Diablo 2.

I'm not sure if they're memory leaks or save corruptions. I suspect something closer to the latter, as they affect the run itself and not the game in general. They are getting worse and worse as I get further in the game, regardless of relaunching the program or even restarting the system. They're also odd because there is no hard drive activity while it happens - just the loading screen. At least I'm not the only one who's had this, there are many posts on the net from people who have the same problem.

Hey, I never complained about mages being overpowered :D if anything I'm glad for this because my main character is a mage, Morrigan is a permanent party member, and I hate the combat with a burning passion, especially now that I'm plodding through Deep Roads. Anything that speeds up the combat is welcome, and if that involves abusing an overpowered spell then I will more than happily do it.

10. Caradhras

Media:
    @Ziad: I never said you complained. ;)

Anyway, a three mage party would suit your playing style nicely. I'd suggest using a mod that allows you to pick your characters skills and abilities so you can customize their spellcasting the way you want.

@The Great Snook: I don't mind as long as it works. I've had some issues with updaters before which forced me to manually run the patch so it's fine by me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.