1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Password program

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Bahir the Red, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Is there any free programs that you can download, that can put passwords on specific folders or programs? I need it to keep my siblings from playing some games and stuff...

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You can do this with Winzip

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    stuff ;)

You can set a password on Winzip but that's easily crackable with a dictionary attack, so make sure you use a password that cannot be found in a standard password-list.

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Any other programs? (using winRAR right now...)

And exactly how do you put a password in winZIP? Is there an option in the menu that you can use on the thing you want to "encrypt" (not sure of the exact meaning of that word...), or do you have to first compress the file to winZIP format?

5. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

What OS are you using? If using Windows 2000 or XP, you could just make sure that your siblings don't have administrative privs and thus they wouldn't have access to any profile but their own.

Also, if WinRAR doesn't provide a password option and you're using Windows XP, you can use Compressed Folders to create a zip file and password protect it.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm not sure...but there used to be a program that didn't requite zipping the file/folder first. You basicly tell it what files/folders you want to password protect, and that's what it does. If you try and open the file/folder, a dialog box pops up asking for a password, if you type it in wrong, you can't access, delete, or move it. It also told you what user was trying to access it (if you have more than one user account on the computer).

I wish I could remember the name of the program...
    Sorry. :( :rolling:

7. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I think the simplest is to go with Shalladeth's suggestions. Make yourself the administrator and set them up with their own profiles and set in those profiles what programs, files, etc they can and can't access.

To use the compressed file feature mentione above, visit this link:
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,110663,00.asp

If you mean to protect word documents and excel documents, the password protection is built into the software, not the operating system. I think Office 97 was the earliest Microsoft product to offer this. When you have the document open click tools->options, click the security tab. In office XP (probably 200 as well but I don't know about the others), you can set a separate password for opening and for modifying (so one person could read but not change and another can make changes too).

I just did a quick search and found some software.
    http://www.folder-password-expert.com/index.html

http://www.winability.com/folderguard/

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1045491347/1

I've surfed a lot of the different tech related forums, FolderGuard seems to be the one most people have tried and seem to be happy with. I've never tried any of these, so I'd caution that these would all be tried at your own risk.

8. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

PGP 8 (Pretty Good Protection) I use that program myself. Awesome and very simple to use but hard to crack. Also has many other security functions such as email encryption, drive encryption... :borg:

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Be extremely careful. I used the private folders function in XP and when Windows screwed up my profile, I wasn't able to recover my files. I eventually got them, but kill me if I know how I did that (i.e. which of the things I did finally worked).

I also used a certain program from a cover CD back in the times of Windows 98 and it suddenly refused to accept my password anymore. I had to break into it from the DOS level and - big surprise - it took me like five minutes to do that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.