1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party Advice

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Fruitcake, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Fruitcake Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] This has propably been somewhat discussed before, but I don't necessarily want best performing party. Rather, the party that would give most entertainment / fun. There doesn't seem to be extensive guide on what NPC has lot's of discussion with others, or what usually triggers these chat's. Minsk seems like obvious choice, but whom other should I take ? Often someone in my party has things to say about questgiver or quest, how to know what NPC's to have at right part of game..so they might give me advice? (Not that I really NEED it, just hearing it is nice)

2. zepert Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If you want some fun take Jan because of his remarks and he's als trying to take boo and wants makes al complete fool out of anomen and jaheira for the qeusts with the harpers

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

If you want a real riot try mixing evil with good chars, or the potential romancers in one party. Then it's Jerry Springer a la Baldur's Gate ;) .

Example:

Haer'Dalis
    Jan
    Viconia
    Jaheira
    Aerie

Another Example:

Minsc
    Keldorn
    Edwin
    Viconia
    Korgan

:evil: Just prepare for some fun, and babysitting. :p

But whatever you choose, consider Jan and Haer'Dalis, those guys crack me up and offer variety to the party.

[ September 11, 2002, 23:23: Message edited by: Big B ]

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Haer'Dalis, Aerie, and a male PC.

Minsc, Aerie, and Edwin.

Jan and Minsc.

Jan and Keldorn.

Heck, just about anything with Jan (and maybe in some situations Viccy and Edwin.)

5. TheNovak Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If you have ToB installed...

*Warning: Possible Spoiler*

Jan and Sarevok is good :D

6. Camlan Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Mazzy and Korgan, they have a strange , almost love-hate, relationship :D

Or Jan with anyone, specially Minsc.

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Edwin has some good comments as well.. like when you accept the Fallen Paladin quest he's really gung-ho about getting to blast Paldadins, who cares if they're fallen...

Ara
    (Edwin is my hero!)

8. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Jan is a must. A bit long-winded, but he always has something to say. His speeches with Anomen and Yoshimo are priceless.

I've run a male PC and had Aerie, Jaheira, and Viconia in the party. Now there's a catfight!

9. Fruitcake Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I hadn't even considered Jan, due to all those NPC guides. Maybe I should read less guides ;)
    It would be a gigantic job trying every possible party mix in every possible situation.
    Perhaps that's the reason all guides seem to focus on party performance, one simply can't write very complete guide about NPC interactions.

Would it be possible to unextract npc lines and maybe play them with Winamp?

Already noticed Korgan has some mean lines when Jaheira starts to question his moral, I really wanted to choose "Heh, that was funny."
    But if you piss women off you can't live with 'em. So I passed...
    Many seem to dislike Edwin too, but I kinda like his cocky style, at least for now. + his robe looks good.

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Extract them and read them, yes. Just use IDU. You can play the wav files for their conversations with WinAmp, but I can't tell you which files are which.

Anyway, if you want a lot of conversations, how's this?

Male PC (Human or Half-Elf)
    Aerie
    Haer'Dalis
    Viconia
    Jaheira
    Anomen or Keldorn(??). Jan would also be a good choice for the last slot, but I wouldn't take him in this party. Minsc might work well, but he doesn't have much conversation. Valygar would also be a good choice. In this particular party, you're going to want to romance Aerie, but flirt with the other girls ;) .

Another combo:
    Male PC
    Mazzy
    Valygar
    Minsc
    Edwin
    Vicky, Aerie, or Jaheira (whichever you want to romance, I'd recommend Aerie, due to her interactions with the others on the list.)

11. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I always find myself with a dynamic changing party. The only guy who I usually have most the time (apart from myself of course) is Minsc (and Boo). Of course the first time I played I took all three of Jaheira, Aerie and Viconia - their eventual arguments and catfights are great - also Yoshimo and Jan like someone else suggested (although I don't often have these two together at the same time in the party).

However, lately I've been playing with Mazzy in the party - if she was a bit taller she'd be my girl - she's so Posh and Valiant - there's a funny dialogue between her and Valygar when the party need rest 'Put some logs on the fire, Valygar and polish my boots' or something! It was so funny and unexpected when it came (as I exited Firkraag's Lair)...

So I'd suggest (apart from yourself):
    Minsc
    At least two of Aerie, Viconia and Jaheira
    Jan
    Mazzy

It might also be fun to have Korgan and Mazzy in the same party for a while - I haven't had them together long but Korgan pretends to love Mazzy and makes some rude remarks to her. He also despises Aerie and makes some rude remarks to her too including about wanting to spank her to stop her whining. However, as you may know, eventually Aerie may leave if Korgan stays too long...

12. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

An absolute must is jan. he is the best mage there is. he doesnt get as many spells as edwin, but he is also a good theif. Who uses necromancy spells anyway?

Another must is keldorn and korgan. U need fighters to take the brunt of all the attacks that are thrown your way. Casomyr is handy with keldorn. Also, try and get korgan on level 7 or 8 so that u can spend the *'s on dual weild.

mebe hajera just for the harper hold and the druid spells.

nab someone loik mazzy or valygar. u need someone that can hiok arrows quikly, and mazzy has 5 in short bow. Give her gesens bow and she is unstoppable. Valygar is decent, but in no way a must.

13. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    He wants a fun party...

I recomment:

-Minsc
    -Edwin
    -Jan
    -Mazzy
    -Korgan

or

Korgan & Aerie.

That's actually suprisingly balanced...

14. chimpmaster Gems: 1/31

for me, balance is important in a party. Sure, you can try all kinds of crazy combinations, but in the end, some of the npcs are going to kill each other.

Right now, this is my party (evil).

Me - Neutral Evil Half Elf Fighter/Thief
    Korgan - Chaotic Evil Dwarf Berserker
    Anomen - Human Cleric(fighter) - now if you INTENTIONALLY get him to fail his quest, he becomes chaotic neutral - perfect for an evil party
    Viconia - Neutral Evil Drow Cleric
    Edwin - Lawful Evil human Conjurer
    Jan - Chaotic neutral mage/thief

As soon as I get haer Daelis, the tiefling blade (cn) i will drop jan.

In my opinion that is the perfect evil party.

One of the major disadvantages of evil over good in bg2 is the lack of choice of warriors; meaning that you almost MUST play a warrior variant character if you want to stay alive.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.