1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Paladin, DivChamp or NW9 levels?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Death Rabbit, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So I'm playing through the OC again as the only class that seems really to appeal to me given the story - a good-aligned warrior type (in this case, a Pally). I'm going the RDD route, and I'm currently at Pal 4/Sor 1. By next level, I'll have enough pips in Lore to qualify, where I plan to do RDD from here on out as the quickest route to the maximum benefits of the RDD.

This will leave me with 4 or so levels to play around with, and I'm wondering what to do here. In the past with this build, I took Divine Champion levels, but they felt like a waste and/or kind of redundant with my Paladin levels. Also, I've never made an official Neverwinter 9 prestige class, and this time around I think it might be a good idea. Though I personally think NW9 levels are better suited for a Ranger build, I'm considering it here.

Or - further still - should I just give him more Paladin levels? Paladin spellcasting was never really a priority for me for this build, since I always keep Elanee and (often) bring along Zijhave.

Thoughts?

2. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

How about turning evil and becoming a Pale Master....

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I never play evil characters. Can't, won't. No appeal for me. I even feel strange playing neutral. Chaotic good is as close as I get.

4. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

You could try a build like the one I am currently playing; it has good BAB, spell casting ability, turn undead and decent HP.

Below is the character I am playing....

Race: Human
    Alignment: LG
    Class: Cleric / DoomGuide
    Level: 8 / 2
    Domains: Evil and Sun - (Turn Outsiders and Expectional Turning)
    Feats: Selected those required for WP and Doomguide
    Stats: STR 14 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 17 CHA 14

When I level up the character to level 12 I plan on taking 1 level of War Priest and level 13 will be 1 level of NW9. By the end of the OC I believe my character will be as listed below

Class: Cleric / DoomGuide / War Priest / NW9
    Level: 8 / 8 / 2 / 2
    Stats: STR 14 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 20 CHA 14

By level 30 my character will be...
    Level: 8 / 8 / 10 / 4
    Stats: STR 14 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 20 CHA 16
    This provides the character with a BAB of 26, spell casting level of 25, turn undead ability of 17 thanks to empower turning, and access to all weapons and armors without taking any feats.

This build would be more powerful in the undead turning category if the WP Prc actually helped with the turn undead ability like in PnP.

To improve my character spell casting ability I select the Spell Casting Prodogy feat at first level. The higher level feats will be extend spell, maxim spell, etc... to improve the character spell casting ability.

6. Death Rabbit

Media:
    That's a great build, and one I've been thinking of doing for a while. I'd do the same except I'd make my race Aasimar. I love how the Doomguide has high BAB. The 1d6 for hit points kind of blows, but isn't that big of a deal. For me, I would consider a level of either Paladin or Fighter early on for the extra feats, so I don't have to waste a feat on Martial Weapons.

What's the difference between improved turning - which is a feat - and exceptional turning, which you get from the Sun domain? Because it may be redundant with the Doomguide abilities, and it'd be nice to take the War domain for the free proficiency + weapon focus in your deity's favored weapon (in the case of Kelemvor, the bastard sword).

@ Equestor,

Yeah, I've seen that before. And after reading it again, I can definitely see the logic in saving DivChamp levels until epic (or MotB) levels. I think going all Pally and RDD makes sense for the rest of the OC.

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Death Rabit,

Doomguides do not get a high BAB; they get the BAB of a Cleric and 1D6 for a hit die. They do however get a ton of useful feats for free for dealing with the undead. If the Doomguide did get a high BAB my build would look like this....

Level: 9 / 10 / 10 / 1
    Stats: STR 14 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 20 CHA 16

Since they don't and I want to hit the magical BAB of 26 I have to take less Cleric and Doomguide levels and increase the NW9 levels.

8. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Then there must be a typo in the in-game description for the Doomguide. It definitely states that Doomguides get a warrior BAB. Good to know.

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Yeah it sucked the first time I played but you only loose a total of 3 BAB when taking the Doomguide over a warriro Prc.

What I like about the Doomguide class is that by level 8 you are immune to negative energy effects and energy drain and by level 10 you are also immune to death magic. You also provide your companions a +4 to their saves vs. Negative Energy/Energy Drain and Death Magic.

My build is all about improving the PC companions longevity by giving them bonuses. I imagine the build would improve if I ended up going with a Paladin; this is the route I would go if I selected a Paladin over a Cleric....

Edit....
    Race: Aasimar
    Class: Paladin / DoomGuide / War Priest / NW9
    Level: 16(12) / 10 / 2(6) / 2
    Stats: STR 14 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 16 CHA 24 +

This build provides +2 to the BAB and +7 levels to the turn undead ability; however, it does not provide the casting power of the Cleric/DG/WP/NW9 build.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  10. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

sadly it is typo that have existed since before release, when the manual was linked to show the new classes and feats, several people pointed this out. Obsidian had to make an official statement correcting this.

I haven't checked in game, but I'll take your word for it. but I think the corrected it to state it get's medium BAB over the class description, in that part where it states how the class progress.

11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I recommend checking out NWN2 Wiki page; I updated all of the Doomguide Class and one or two other classes as needed. I want to make sure my fellow NWN2 gamers who visist the Wiki page had correct information to go by when they decide to great a character.

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Did you continue leveling up as a Paladin or did you select another class to level up?

13. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I'm leveling up as an RDD up to level 14, where I'll take 1 level of Paladin (to get Divine Might) then I'll finish all 10 levels of RDD. After that, I'll be starting MotB, where I'll take straight DivChamp levels.

That's for this run-though, anyway. Next time I'm going to try a Sorcerer.

14. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

After my current game I plan on playing an Evil character; something I normally do not do. Here is the build for my Evil character....

Cleric - 8 levels
    Blackguard - 10 levels
    Doomguide - 10 levels
    War Priest - 2 levels

What do you think of this build?

15. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I think it looks badass. It has Drow written all over it. The only problem I really see is that with the Blackguard levels you'll delay your high-level spells for quite a while. But if this is a tanking build that shouldn't be a big deal.

You may want to try the new race of Orc that came with the new expansion. Their favored class is the Cleric (not that it matters with this build) and they have a cool painted-face avatar. My default race pick for any build favoring Charisma is always the Aasimar, though (personal preference). Decent benefit with almost zero downside.

Question: with the evil character, rather than destroying undead when you turn them, you recruit them, right? I don't really know how evil divine characters work...

16. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

from pure power-gaming 10 levels of Blackguard is a waste, it will add very little to a cleric. from an RP perspective, Blackguard and Doomguide doesn't mix well, since kelemvor is a neutral god (who once went good) and BG's are evil.

your character will probably do fine in both OC and MoTb but that has more to do with the how easy they are, then class strength.

17. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I was thinking the same thing, actually...

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Here was my thought to my build RP wise...

My character is LE at the start of the game worshipping one of the LE deities. As he progresses he move towards being a Dark Warrior for his deity; a Blackguard. Upon reaching his full potential he discovers the Evil that he is doing is not right and he wants to correct the world for all the wrong he had done and slowly over time he is able to turn his life around and remove some of the Evil / Undead to the world and in doing so becomes one of Kelemvor followers. He starts off LE and end the game as LN almost bordering a LG character.

Or from another view...

He starts off following Kelevmor and becomes one of his truest disciples; during a conquest to remove a lich, the lich imposes a question which makes the character contemplate his existence; as time passes he decides to try something different, evil, and as it ends up the character likes the evil ways and soon enough he is consumed by it and rebels againts the ways of Kelemvor. He eventually switches to an evil deity; one that appreciates his command of the dead.

19. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

both a nice concepts, not that you have to justify it for me :) just making observations from two extremes. personally I tend to go with a mix of rp and powergaming in my builds.

as for buildwise, what race and stats are you going to take?

Aasimar with a semi high CHA and WIS and maybe str around 14-16?

20. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Yuan-ti True Blood...

STR 14
    DEX 14
    CON 12
    INT 12
    WIS 16
    CHA 16

Free Feats: Blind fighting and Alertness
    Other benefits: +1 AC and MR

I may take Hero's Luck for an additional +1 AC and +1 to all saves....
    The Domains will be Sun and Earth....

I don't plain on raising my character WIS beyond 16; every increase in stat will be towards CHA or STR. I will start off on the Evil path and move towards LN/LG.

---------- Added 0 hours, 5 minutes and 48 seconds later... ----------

This build isn't about high level spells; the build is about his connection to the undead.

I don't know how the game reacts to an evil character for undead purposes; I know for a Good or Neutral character undead are destroyed if your turning level is 2x their HD. I wonder if an Evil character would take control instead of destroying and anything you cannot control you freeze just like Good and Neutral characters...

As stated in my above post I will go Yuan-ti. They offer the best stats, +1AC, 2 free feats, and MR for a being 2 levels lower. I think it is a good payoff.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.