1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pakistan VS England

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well we are at the eve of the match, England lose Vaughan so Trescothick takes over as captain and it looks like Bell will slot it at 3. Also, remember that young kid I told you about ages ago? Alastair Cook? Well, he's been called up as first cover and may open in the 3rd test when Strauss goes home. Here's to hoping he plays :) . Top player.

Should be an interesting test match, and a nice early start for us at 4:30am. Me thinks I'll have to get to bed soon if I'm going to be up for it.

Anyway, team news:

Pakistan (from): Salman Butt, Shoaib Malik, Younis Khan, Inzamam-ul-Haq (captain), Mohammad Yousuf, Shahid Afridi, Asim Kamal, Hasan Raza, Kamran Akmal (wkt), Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, Danish Kaneria, Mohammad Sami, Shoaib Akhtar, Shabbir Ahmed, Mushtaq Ahmed, Arshad Khan.

England (probable): M Trescothick (captain), A Strauss, I Bell, K Pietersen, P Collingwood, A Flintoff, G Jones (wkt), A Giles, S Udal, M Hoggard, S Harmison.

Umpires: B Bowden (NZ), S Taufel (Aus)

I'm slightly aggrieved that Udal has got in shead of Loudon, I'd prefer to blood a youngster than take a backwards step. Anyway... Come on lads!!

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I agree come on the lads, I'd also like to have seen Loudon play, but I'm abit worried about Marcus as captain I don't feel he's as inventive or attentive as Vaughany.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm not up to play with how good this current Pakistan outfit is. Should be an interesting first day.

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    How flat is this wicket?? It's probably the flattest wicket I've ever seen, there's absolutely nothing in it for the bowlers. This test has draw written all over it. Neither team has the fire-power on this wicket to bowl each other out twice to reach a result IMO.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, you don't seem to get draws in test matches as much these days though (except when it rains). Batsmen seem to be less able to bat all day than they used to.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Well, the Pakistani batsmen disappointed big time. On a feather bed wicket like it was yesterday they really should have been aiming for a total of around 300 for that day, then bat out today and his a total of 400-450 for the 1st innings. We bowled well though so credit where it's due I suppose. Flintoff, again, the main man for me. The wicket has become slightly more unpredictable today as it's started to break up a bit. Kaneria will take a few wickets today I'm sure, as will Shoaib as he's bowling quite well.
    Strauss got out cheaply, sadly, but it was a good ball to be fair. Tresco and Bell building up a nice dangerous partnership here. Both have looked in very good touch and no serious scares, they look very comfortable. Come on Ian, keep showing your talent, I want a good score from you boyo, the wicket is still good for batting, let's have a ton :) .

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] Well, he managed 71 (EDIT: and it looks like Malik overstepped on the delivery where he was given out, so he was unlucky), so hopefully that'll be a confidence boost & he'll go on to prove BA right by scoring big this tour! ;) Good to see Tres scoring as captain & flying the flag for Somerset. England should capitalise from this position, score lots of runs and put the Pakistanis under pressure for the 2nd innings. A win here would really help banish some of the embarassing results in the build-up. Now we've managed to beat the Australians, we really need to prove we're consistently capable of beating the other test nations, too.

[ November 13, 2005, 16:21: Message edited by: The Magpie ]

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Well, England need 174 runs tomorrow and we've won! :banana:

Shame Tres made a hash of things to get out so cheaply, but hopefully the rest of 'em will bat sensibly and see it out tomorrow. I'd rather avoid any Ashes-style nail-biters this series (although "finger-chewers" might've describe them more appropriately!).

The boy Butt looks good for Pakistan; if they hadn't collapsed he'd have put them on top, for sure. I'd watch out for him; but I'm sure Troy Cooley will have been studying the tapes and have a plan to get him out next match, don't you worry... ;)

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    Well, well, well test match defeat. I think I almost forgot what that felt like. Our boys got complacent if you ask me. That 2nd innings batting display was nothing short of garbage. Pietersen has to take the brunt of the blame for me. He HAS to learn when to reign himself in and not try to smash the ball in half. Collingwood was also poor, it's time he was dropped, I think we've established that he's just not a test player. Udal is also unnecessary if you ask me. Get the lad Plunkett in, or even Jimmy Anderson at a push but another finger spinner who just dollies it down is not what we need. Hopefully Vaughan will be back as well.

Although England did ok for 4 days, it just goes to show how you never know in cricket. A team can dominate a test match for 4 days then play crap on the final day and lose the game. I'm sure this will do the lads a world of good though, remind them they can never afford to take the foot of the peddle.

My series prediction, 1-2 England :) .

10. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Stupid, stupid, stupid all that hard work thrown away and I agree with your assessment Barmy especially with Pietersen. I was at the Oval when he hit that hundred and he was picking his shots much better so he can do it.

My series prediction now 1-1 :)

EDIT: If Vaughan back 2-1 to England :D

11. Harbourboy

Ah, so this England cricket team doesn't walk on water after all. Looks like exactly what happens every time NZ plays Pakistan (i.e. getting blasted out on the last day chasing an easy total).

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    There's only one Ian Bell! One Ian Beeeeell! There's only one Ian Beeeeell! :)

Come on England, let's salvage that debacle of a Pakistan 1st innings and save this test match. My series prediction stands, 1-2 England :) .

13. Harbourboy

Wow, Pakistan are proving to be stiffer opposition for England than I expected.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    Oh God not Jimmy Anderson, please no...
    And predictable selection again! This was screaming for Cook to come in for Straussy in the final test, but no, Collingwood is coming in...

15. Harbourboy

Collingwood = Journeyman

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    I couldn't agree more now.
    At least Plunkett has a good chance at starting. Please, Plunkett ahead of Jimbob!!

17. Harbourboy

Well, shows what WE know....

Collingwood was the only guy who held England away from total embarrassment on day one!

Still anyone's test though.

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    This wicket actually has a little bit of swing though. I don't think we'll see any 400+ scores this test, although the pitch still has a wickedly fast outfield and it's hard to get good bounce off it. Good too see Plunkett in the wickets in his first test match (even though he got slapped a bit), he's a very talented young lad.

Highlight of the day, Harmy nearly breaking Inzy's arm with a nasty delivery. It was a fantastic ball but really caught Inzy awkwardly on the wrist. He was forced to retire and it's not sure whether he'll be back in tomorrow either (hopefully not as he's been unbelievable so far this series, great batsman).

One thing I have noticed, when our bowlers manage to get a bit of pace and bounce the Pakistani batsmen seem to struggle, and that's on these wickets. God help them at Edgbaston and Headingley on a murkey day as that's exactly what they'll recieve. A whitewash is what I'll be predicting.

19. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, England stand on the brink of a series defeat after Mohammad Yousuf and Kamran Akmal joined forces at 247 for 5 and proceeded to add an unbroken 199 for the sixth wicket. With roughly 150 overs left in the match, Pakistan are virtually uncatchable and a famous series win should now be a formality. Though its sad to see England's two-year run of series victories come to an end; Pakistan have been much the better team and worthy winners.

So now, England must travel to India, where they can expect little respite and then they must retain the Ashes in Australia. It just doesn't get any tougher than this. :(

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    Wow, Barmy Army makes 2 mistakes in 2 days - unheard of, I'm losing my touch :lol: .

Rubbish England today, garbage, but the performance looked knackered. Especially Freddie, he looks almost burnt out. The lad has bowled near 530 overs in the '05 calendar year, that's a lot for anyone nevermind an allrounder. The lads need some rest. Still, that's a poor excuse for a crap performance.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.