1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Orkrist. I need tips

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mollusken, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Orkrist: You have told earlier that you once were a body builder. Got any cool training tips? ;)

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Hehe depends on what you wanna train...
    arms, legs, behind.... I just go to the sportcentre near where I live, for 20 dollars a month I can Squash and Fitness as much as I want (I go 2 times a weeK) and when you fitness 2 hours you got plenty of time to train everything...

Oh I almost forgot, when you wanna train your Neck, ik really got an excellent training tip / :)\ (look at my nick)

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited June 06, 2001).]

3. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] It also depends on which way you wanna build your body. Do you like to exercise for posing (= building up muscle mass and take care of optical balance between muscle groups) or do you wanne shape up your body and encrease strength and dexterity.
    If it is the second, i can mail you an 8 week workout plan composed by a baseball coach for wintertraining.

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Of course I wanna build. I train with weights. Stopped playing soccer a long time ago. I need to train arms, chest, back and stuff. Upper body.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Here's a few nice tips for bodybuilding:

1) Find heavy things
    2) Pick them up
    3) Repeat Step 2 12-15 times before resting.
    :D

I've always worked out with weights since I played Football (American) Stick to the basics: BEnch Pressing, Curls, Squats, Powerlifts, Military Press, etc...And you should be fine.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm reading the forums right now instead of working b/c I just got done working out, and about to loose my breakfast! (Leg day today!)

Actually, I hired a personal trainer for 10 sessions. I always thought that trainer's were a waste of time, but sometimes it takes someone else to push you further than you can go.

My bench has gone up 70 lbs in 8 sessions (only 3 of which were chest) & I've lost 5% body fat.

Still, Let's see what Orkist has to say.

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

I do not care about fat and stuff like that. I'm skinny. I want muscels. I do not want to train my legs because it is boring and my knees starts to hurt.

8. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Why not train legs? It's one of the most usefull muscle groups to have! Ok, it might not get you any babes, but still....

By the way, if your knees start to hurt, then you are putting too much pressure on them.

9. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

I can't squat much anymore-too much stretching of the tendons and rubbing off of the cartilage! Ouch! Every once in a while I do it anyway, but my legs have always been too big for the rest of me, which is one of the reasons I started working out in the first place, to balance out a bit.

Anyway, as far as advice goes, its really pretty simple. If you are "thin" and diet isn't a concern for you and you want to get bigger or fill out, I'd recommend focusing on basic movements and using a lot of weight relative to what you can lift.

For example, stick to bench presses (incline/flat/decline), squats, bent over rows, pulldowns or chin-ups, deadlifts if you have an agreeable facility, curls, tricep extensions, and so on. I almost entirely use dumbells these days, but I think free weights are the way to go. I also don't rest very much between sets any more, but if you are going heavier you should rest like 60 seconds at least. I rest like 30 and move fast. I don't enjoy working out like I used to and I want to be out of there and off to work or wherever I'm going. Eat good, but if your metabolism is fast eat like you enjoy and eat plenty, especially if you are young. When I was a teenager and competing and trainig hard, the intake reached ridiculous proportions! Also, IMO, "supplements" are a waste of money and have never done anything for me. The human body has limits to what it can assimilate, grow or lose, and a lot of these supplelments make physically impossible promises, unless of course, you're on drugs, which I never did and don't recommend.

As for the set up of your training, I like a four day split: Chest/biceps, Shoulders/Triceps, Back, and then legs. I don't train "abs" individually or calves as I don't compete anymore and frankly you can't see my abs anyway because I like things like beer and cheese. There are all kinds of different splits you can try and I would recommend just finding an arrangement that fits your style while hitting major muscle groups at least 1x/week.

Warm up and pyramid your sets a bit, like 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x6, and then do a light set or move on. Do you know what I mean? I don't go less than 8 reps for smaller muscle groups, like arms in particular, and only on shoulders when I'm pressing. Once you work out more and get a feel for yourself with weights, you will develop your own style I'm sure. One other thing, don't buy into the "high-rep" nonsense you hear about. It will not make you lean or "ripped" or whatever. It just burns a lot. A good pump doesn't so much "burn" as it feels like a bunch of hyperdermic needles have been stuck into your muscle. Its more of an achey bloatedness (full of blood!) than a "burning" feeling.

I think thats it, if you want more specific advice just let me know.
    Good luck!

10. jester1137 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The most important advice I can give if you're just starting out is to spend the first three weeks doing an embarrasingly light weight. I've never been into competative body building, but up until a year ago I was a wildland firefighter and spent most of my time in the gym. You can only sharpen all the tools and clean the rig so many times in a week :)

Worry about your form. I came back from three months off and slipped a disc trying to squat 250, I was squating 440 when I left the winter before. If you're a first timer, or have taken a long break, start off at far less than you think you should. You can always raise it 5-10 lbs next time.
    Anway, thats one reason the trainer isn't a waste for anyone just starting out or anyone who hasn't worked out for awhile. Even with a mirror you really don't see where you're cheating, and bad form can easily lead involuntary career changes.

11. If you want a good looking body, but not the bulging muscels that just look stupid I got the perfect 4 day program. I use it right now and I am beginning to see some results that I am very pleased with.
    If you want it, just post a message about it or mail me, and I'll mail it to you.

12. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

I need muscels :D

My legs were to big for me to, but they're nice ;). 10 years of soccer playing made them well.

But now it's summer, and I would rather do stuff like shooting or helping my father with wood (money, money!) than training. In the winter, I will train instead of sitting next to that darn computer all the time.

[This message has been edited by Mollusken (edited June 07, 2001).]

13. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

The fun of training comes, when you are not training to be big. I am training for volleyball, and that means quick repetitions with not so heavy weights.

Problem is, that the instruktors in a normal fitness center knows shit about this kind of trainament. All they know is how to become big.

At the same time, they think you are an absolute newbie, when you are not 1 meter over the chest, and use handweights of atleast 20kg. Never mind that you have been in the same fitness center four times a week the last six month.

I'm going to kill the next instruktor who thinks I don't know what I'm doing. :mad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.