1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Organised cyber-attack on Estonia

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Montresor, May 22, 2007.

1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    An interesting article in the Washington Post.

How do we prevent future attacks of this kind?

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    An EMP bomb set off at the IP of the attacker? :)

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yep, the Russian hackers strike again... I remember that in the early 1990s I read about a "friendly competition" between programmers who can make the shortest virus. The Russian entry was iirc 120 bytes or less, afaik they came in the top 5.

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

This is a direct result from the statue conflict which is a direct result from the ethnic tensions between the ethnic Estonian and ethnic Russian population of Estonia. Estonia has a large Russian minority of which many aren't even citizens of Estonia, yet they are still there and have been for all their life in most cases.

There is a lot of bad blood between Russia and Estonia and their relations are quite unfriendly. Of course the Russian actions are unforgivable and it seems quite obvious that their government was behind this attack. I think it should be over now and hopefully EU will stand up to its own in this regard, hell even Bush was defending Estonia while EU was more or less quiet for quite long. I think it's a big disgrace that it took so long for Germany as the chairman of EU to react to the situation and condemn the actions of Russia.

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I agree this probably came from the statue dispute, but I don't think official Moscow needs to be behind the e-attacks... It might be a little naive, but I think such events tend to develop a momentum of their own. Of course, I doubt anyone in Moscow feels like bothering too much to persecute those who did it, but there's a difference between tacitly approving an act and having organized it.

Don't get me wrong, it's high time that the EU started to have something like a common policy, and there is enough to stand up to Russia for. But in this case I am a bit sceptical that that Putin's long hand if behind this.

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

The Estonian police tracked down some of the IP addresses of the attackers all the way to the department of defence in Russia.

Moscow was also very clearly arranging Russian rioters over the border to Estonia and a youth organisation directly tied to Putin and Kreml arranged the siege and storming of the Estonian embassy. Russia is seeking to show that it still has intrests in the area of the former Soviet Union and is prepared to defend those intrests.

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Follow-up article in the New York Times

It is known that Russian criminals use similar techniques - botnets and denial-of-service attacks - to demand "protection money" from Western companies ("Pay us XXX dollars, or we'll shut down your Web site"), so Russia has experience in this kind of attack. We can't say if the Russian government is involved directly, but I suspect some kind of indirect involvement - that the government knows the criminals and take a cut of their profits in return for "protection" from prosecution.

Denmark was cyber-attacked last year in connection with the Mohammed cartoon crisis, but the attacks weren't nearly as well organized or devastating. This suggests a higher level of coordination and more resources this time - which could indicate government involvement.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.