1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Optimum PC upgrade for under a grand?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yo.

It's been a while since I've posted anything, let alone one of my famous "I'm too dumb/lazy to research this stuff on my own, so tell me what to buy" tech threads. High time we had one, eh? :heh:

I'm about 3-4 months away from the upgrade in question. I'm definitely upgrading all the following:
    • Processor
    • Motherboard
    • RAM
    • Hard Drive
    • Operating System (will go from XP to Windows7)
    Pieces I won't upgrade unless I have to:
    • Tower (Antec Sonata - 6 years old)
    • Power Supply (Antec Neo HE 500w - 3 years old)
    • GPU (nVidia 8800GTX)
    Things I won't be upgrading:
    • My monitor (Acer P243i - still amazing)
    • Speakers, keyboard, mouse, cables, wireless card, etc.

I'm thinking Quad-Core i5 or i7 processor (I've heard good things about the Lynnfield). I've historically been an AMD guy, but I'd be interested in giving Intel a try.

I'll be using this PC primarily for gaming. Specifically, the upcoming titles Civilization 5, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Diablo 3, Dragon Age 1 & 2 and a slew of others. My 8800GTX is getting a bit old, but I'd like to get more use out of her, and she can still max any of my current games with ease.

I've been scouting the combo deals on NewEgg for a while, but nothing I've seen yet is a "holy hand grenade, that's THE ONE!!"

Helpedy-help-help. Thanks. :wave:

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

If you still want NVIDIA... I'd suggest waiting to see what they do with the GF104. Now isn't the time to upgrade your graphics card if it's a 8800.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Good advice, Taz. I have been holding off as well on upgrading my 9800GT. This is not a good time if nVidia is the choice. Still, ATI is looking more and more tempting everyday. But I'm still waiting on the specs for TES V before I jump in.

4. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

ive been looking at the i5 personally myself with what i need to upgrade to. im currently running a single core amd athlon 64bit 3500+ so upgrading to an i5 for about $700-$750 but lets see how much i have when the time comes to upgrade in december or janurary after the holidays. so i might be able to snag a sale then. i wont need to upgrade my gpu sence i have a new gts 250 sence i had issues with my old geforce 7600 gs dying and taking the slot it was in withit. now my whole motherboard is shot. im currently using my moms old pc sence she just got a new windows 7 machine. ill b e upgrading from windows xp to 7 ont he new pc. this pc is running windows vista which i find kinda funny that ill be using this os for a few months before getting windows 7.just bought a new psu sence i had to replace the old 400watt that died in the other pc. i got a 750 watt for only $35 from www.pcdirect.com got the gpu for only around $100 from newegg.

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Oh, DR, I like my Intel I5 750. With my Gigabyte 55A-4P mainboard I was able to update the BOIS to unlock the core. Now I can just pretty much type in the speed I want it to run at into the CMOS (as long as it stays cool enough). Runs great!

Mainboard, CPU and Memory (4 GB Corsair, DDR3 PC1600) was only $425.00 on NewEgg as a bundled deal (and that was at Xmas).

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is my power supply sufficient to run what you have, plus my GPU?

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    DR - I have a 650w PS and it runs everything just fine - plus 2 640GB HDDs, 2 DVD-RW drives, the 9800GT, an SB X-Fi Titanium SC and 3 case fans. The I5 750 only uses 95W.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    About the same here, and I also have a 650W - powering a quad Intel 9450, 8GB RAM, 2x 640GB, 2 DVD drives, an SSD, and ATI 4870, three case fans .... No problems whatsoever.

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Appreciated, but mine is a 500w - not a 650w. I'll only be running the processor, a single optical drive, a single hard drive, 4g (or so) of DDR3 ram, and my 8800. Not much smaller than a 650w, but is it enough?

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm holding off on any upgrades until Intel has a chipset that natively supports SATA 3 and USB 3.0. That will most likely be on X68 based mobos...and the rumor is that they could hit the street anywhere in Q4 to early-2011.

DR - What is your current CPU/Mobo?

Also, I'm running an overclocked Intel C2D E8400 along with an overclocked AUSU Maximus Extreme mobo, ATI 5850, 4 sticks of RAM, and 4 HDDs...all on a 850W PSU, which is *more* than capable. :D

11. Death Rabbit

Media:
    The system I built back in '06 (wow!):

ABIT KN8 SLi motherboard
    AMD 64 FX-55 Clawhammer CPU

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I believe the FX-55 a 65 watt processor but I'm not positive. I think it would run, but you are probably close to the max. Antec is a pretty good brand, so I wouldn't replace the PSU just yet.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  14. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Ok, good. Thanks for the clear-up on the power.

Here's a package I'm looking at:

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66Ghz
    + GIGABYTE GA-P55a-UD4P Motherboard (combo) link = $360
    Seagate Barracuda 750GB SATA Hdd link = $70
    4GB G.SKILL DDR3 RAM link = $100
    OEM Copy of Windows 7 = $100

Total = $630

Well under budget! Thoughts?

15. Ragusa

Media:
    Sounds nice overall but since I had two Barracudas failing late last year I can't with a good conscience recommend them (it was apparently limited to that particular production lot of 32MB/7200 250GB drives, but anyway).

I have two WD Caviar Black now, also 32MB/7200 drives, albeit in 640GB capacity, and I am happy - they're fast and quiet. And as I see they haven't gotten much cheaper since I bought mine six months ago.

And if you feel you're seriously under budget and have money to spare - theere's no limit to goldplating :D SSDs go well with Windows 7, and are fast ;)

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I swear PC prices don't make sense. It used to be that after 6-7 months the same parts were much cheaper. Now they are the same.

DR - That's the same CPU/mainboard that I have. I've been really pleased with both. I'm not real pleased with Windows 7 though. It's got some nice features but it is quirky and over 150 updates already - and it's only been 10 months! I still use the W XP half of my computer for really touchy programs.

Ragusa - I have the blue version of the same drives and had one fail after several months. They replaced it with NP though.

SSD - That's the way to go, but prices are falling fast on that particular part.

17. Ragusa

Media:
    Chandos,
    as for WD drive failures ... LA-LA-LA! ... what did you say? didn't hear you ... :1eye:

And my Intel X-25M SSD in 80 GB is still nearly as expensive as it was five months ago ... :o ... but I agree, they are the future (I am VERY pleased with mine) and with time they'll get larger (important - the larger the faster) and cheaper. In a year or so, I estimate that you'll get a decent 128 GB one for approx € 150.

And as for crazy prices: My particular RAM modules (Apogee DDR-2 1066 w heat sinks; no longer in production) actually are iirc now going for 20% more than what I paid when I bought them, trend rising.

18. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    500 watt is enough, like the others already said.

Setup looks nice.

19. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    IIRC, SATA3 and USB3.0 will hog up 8x of your 16x PCIe bus. That's why I'm waiting for native support on the chipset.

Other than that, your setup looks pretty sweet. :thumb:

20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Ok, so if the Seagate Barracuda is a bad investment, I think maybe I'll go for the WD. It's a little cheaper anyway, and if the reviews on NewEgg are any indication, it's pretty popular. Admittedly, I'm hesitant to go with WD, since I always considered them an inferior brand. But they may have improved their quality in the years since I have had a WD drive that failed on me (back in 2002).

Unless anyone has a recommendation for a different drive. At the end of the day, either would probably be fine, at least for a few years.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.