1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

On the hunt for Internet sex predators

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Svyatoslav, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Very good thing. I see no problem with trapping potential child molesters preying on children on the internet.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Too right, get the filthy dirty pervert bastards and have their nuts off. Child molestation is one of the things that really makes my blood boil.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Where does he have the phone number or home address from? Don't you want to meet in person if you have an online relationship? It surely isn't healthy to have an online relationship with no desire of ever meeting in person. Bad bad wording, but I agree this kind of behaviour can be describe as aggressive if we're talking about genuine paedophiles (not some poor idiot in early twenties coupling up with someone a couple of days or months before the age of consent).

Not only with teens. And it's not like many teens won't play each other in such relationships. "The chance of being played by an adult," it should be.

Molestation of a criminal kind, but where's the part about her saying no or going away or something?

What if those adults are too convincing and actually tempt someone into doing that for a first time? Next, how far are they allowed to go and what about their partners, how they feel when the wife/husband is having cyber pretending to be a teen?

Oh, and in many cases, what are teens doing in certain chatrooms? Should there at all be dating sites for teens below the age of consent? Should there be having sex with anyone even around their age? They are supposed not to have sex... not just simly to have sex within their age group and none older. Don't parents get prosecuted for that? Why?

Next, what about filling false data in profiles? Don't most sites with profiles require you to accept the obligation to provide only truthful information? Shouldn't people be prosecuted for lying about age or such things? The police could be authorised to do that but no vigilantes are.

[ December 18, 2005, 04:30: Message edited by: chevalier ]

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    That is truly amazing. Little Snook turns 10 in March and we don't let him chat (or play onlline games that have a chat feature other than preset sayings), however at some point he will and it is truly terrifying.

6. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm with you Snook. Mine is 7 and interested in all that is computer. We don't let him chat or post in forums but I know that as soon as his friends start getting online he's going to want to join them.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you make the kids aware of how to behave it should not be any problem. Kids get snatched from playgrounds as well but we still let them play. We just tell them not to take sweets from strangers and so on. Just make sure that no personal stuff is handed out by the child and the risks are minimized.

One would think that these predators are slick and smart and pretend to be nice and young and first befriend people and during a longer period of time gains the childs trust. That doesnt seem to be the case though but instead they approach teh child as "Bigdick75" and asks what kind of sex they like and if they want to meet right away. The child old enough to handle a computer who dont view that as a warning lamp has some serious issues.

8. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

An excerpt:

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Syv, what is your point in posting that excerpt?

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] @Svyatoslav

I and the remaining moderators have been giving you the benefit of the doubt for a long time, despite a barrage of complaints from other posters. You've let out a constant barrage of pro-Russian rants and streams of insinuating the inferiority of other ethnic groups. Couple this with cutting out one excerpt from that link that centers specifically on a Jewish Rabbi. Despite the lack of further commentary, cutting out that one select excerpt makes your intent pretty obvious. Really, when does it stop for you?

11. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

Well, I thought this excerpt was pretty interesting - funny whatever - and summed the whole issue. It is amazing to see such reaction from people. If this guy was a priest, we would be listening to "The institution of the Church is totally rotten; the priests are a bunch of sick perverts; pedophilism is alive and kicking in all spheres of the church" etc. But since this guy is a rabbi, we should either be quite about the misdoing, or then we should hide the fact that he is a jew if we mention the event; or be faced with "anti-semitic" charges. This is laughable. Maybe I should be demaning that the New York Times and company stopped doing anti-Christian propaganda every now and then? You know, I am sick and tired of hearing about "pedophile priests".
    You two are trying to see beyound what is written. I wonder if this guy was a priest there would be people "doubting" my intentions posting this excerpt.
    Yeah, the moderators warned me quite a few times on account of flaming - on threads in which flames flew from all sides - but this has been what, couple months ago? I really don't see how I have been violating the board's rules, much less with this excerpt.
    Yes, I am pro-Russian, is that against the rules? As for insinuating the inferiority of different ethnic groups, I don't think I ever did it, unless to say non-Slavs can never be Russians is insuating anything, beyound the statement that they are not Russians.
    Yes, I have read the rules, and I know I am not supposed to refute moderator's enforcement of the rules pubicly, but I don't think that is the case here. Considering you ended your post with a question to me, and the overall tone of your post, I suppose I am telling this all to you, not you as a moderator doing his job, but as another poster engaged in a discussion. If I have mistaken your purposes, let me know so I won't reply again other than using PM.
    Regardless, I am off for a two weeks trip tomorrow, so there is a chance I won't be able to further defend me, either through this thread or PMing.
    So, in short, to answer you question, I believe it has stopped to me quite a while ago.

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Thank you for the explanation. I must say that your intentions as stated weren't clear at all. A bit of commentary in support of the quote would have made a lot of difference.

Now to answer your question about why the citation of a rabbi is different from a similar citation of a priest. It's simply because a trend of such behavior among priests has been established, along with a trend of the Church hierarchy concealing the acts and allowing the behavior to continue unpunished. You found a single data point in other clergy - show me a trend of the magnitude and duration of that plaguing the Catholic Church, and I'll be right there with you. Until then, however, your argument doesn't hold water and your motivations are unclear.

As it is, I'm going to turn your own question on its head: Should the media stop reporting the occurences of pedophilia among priests because it makes the RCC looks bad?

Enjoy your holidays.

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Actually, Rally, I question whether identifying clergy of any faiths would turn the story into an attak on a religious organization as opposed to the individual perverts that are being caught. My concern is that the pious majority are tarred with the same brush as these jerks.

The point is that perverts will exist no matter where you look. They need to be aggressively rooted out, exposed, and punished harshly. In the case of an exposed priest or rabbi or whatever, the church should also get their shots in. They have the right to excommunicate the offender. They wash their hands of the offender. They cannot protect the guilty...

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Actually, I think any person of the cloth, be they a priest, rabbi, mullah, whatever, would be equally smeared if caught doing something like that. Obviously, actions like this are never condoned regardless of the profession of the person performing them. However rightly or wrongly, society holds religious leaders to a higher standard than everyone else, which is why they get treated more harshly than others.

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Note that an ideal person who is totally free of any prejudice would point out a perverted rabbi as easily as a perverted priest because there would be no issue. We can question the intentions of a person who brings up such examples, but we shouldn't get off the track and run into minority attack discussions instead of dealing with the topic. The point is, a man of the frock (sort of -- rabbis aren't priests and aren't really clergy per se, they are teachers and leaders) was caught on a paedophiliac errand.

Svyatoslav, I think you could provide links and quotes with some introduction and perhaps a little explanation. I don't mean miles of disclaimers but when people see nude excerpts from the text or a simple one-liner of a link, they start to wonder and various ideas pop up. Suspecting provocation is one of those. ;) Perhaps putting a little more effort in the opening posts would show people you want to discuss and not just stir up trouble, which some might think is the case. ;) If you don't say anything, people start wondering what you wanted to say by saying nothing.

Well, anyway, the excerpt doesn't say anything about rabbis in general, it just shows rotten apples happen in all kinds of jobs and positions, including spiritual leaders and teachers.

[ December 22, 2005, 20:20: Message edited by: chevalier ]

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

As it should be, but don't hit the pious when the **** hits that fan.

Actually, they are treated more harshly because in addition to being perverts, they are also hypocrites, preaching morality while indulging in abominations out of the public eye.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.